AE86 ECUs
04-01-2005, 06:12 PM
AE86 ECUs
I would like to know if anyone here is running a non-standard ECU and what he/she has to say about its behaviour. Plus, how much did it cost and where you found it for sale. This also apllies to those who are thinking on buying one, if you could please post wich and why. I´ve been doing some research but i would like to know your opinion. Thanks a lot

PS: the engine in question is a 4AGE blue top.

85 Red Toyota Corolla GT - project "vouàfalencia"
Find all posts by this user
04-01-2005, 08:21 PM
AE86 ECUs
I wanne buy a megasquirt. Its not that expensive and is able with all the functions of the 4age.

Regarding the 4age you can reach some better preformance as well with a managable ecu. (look at the AE82 and AE86) for example.

They both run on a 4age bigport engine
both (in way MAP) then the ae86 produces 5 bhp more because of the loss on the driveline. Which on the ae82 is smaller.

I have heard (soon to be testet) that if you plug a AE86 ecu on a AE82 it runs faster....... that will be testet

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
04-01-2005, 09:47 PM
AE86 ECUs
The ECU is as good as the mechanic who tunes it. In the miata world they had great support for the LINK ecu, which is basically a dinosaur and shouldn't have worked. So many maps were made and shared and so many people used only this system that lots of people got good at making them work great.
Either you take the time to learn and tune it yourself or go with the system that your local tuner is most familiar with. Its the fastest and cheapest way to get to a state of tune thats better then the stock ecu (which by the way is pretty darn good).
Megasquirt is as cheap as it gets.. although you do have to know a lot about the ecu to make it work well. (usually lots of troubleshooting to be done).

If money is no object: buy motec: it has blend algorithms that work REALLY well with wild cams and ITB's
Second on the list for me would be the AEM ecu. Great features, great price. Most of the bugs have been ironed out by now.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-02-2005, 12:27 AM
AE86 ECUs
Guys tell us some prices and e-places to find them... Respect!

AE86 FANATIC!!!
10-04-2005, 07:26 PM
AE86 ECUs
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86 ECUs]

Contact PhatBob on driftworks.co.uk about VEMS for AE86/AE92/AW11 application.
10-04-2005, 08:11 PM
AE86 ECUs
I also want a megasquirt.On e-bay they cost around 265 euro`s complete assembled and tested for a megasquirt II v 3.0.That is without harness,sensors and so on.

But i read somewhere a new megasquirt is going to be released:ultramegasquirt.With faster processor,bigger (12x12)maps and some other goodies.I don`t know if this unit supports the ford EDIS system though.

I don`t know when it is gonna be released, but if I can have it delivered and assembled for 275 euro`s I would buy it.

Real men race downhill
10-04-2005, 08:14 PM
AE86 ECUs
160´E in Sweden for an megasquirt - without sensors & not put together.

K

I´m sorry sir, your planet has been sceduled for destruction
in favor of an intergalactic highway -Thank you

Kristian Hesselmark, Sweden
EVO-DRIFT-STREET-DRAG-SHOW
10-04-2005, 08:19 PM
AE86 ECUs
KristianAE86 Wrote:160´E in Sweden for an megasquirt - without sensors & not put together.

K

Is this a normal megasquirt or a megasquirt II?

Real men race downhill
10-05-2005, 08:51 AM
AE86 ECUs
Never buy them if those are the finnish copies. There where some cheap megasquirt pcb's made in finland that are notorious for having problems.
You can get an unassembled megasquirt kit for a fair price from several US shops (diyautotune, glensgarage) including housings etc, they also sell universal wiring looms that you can make to fit your car for about 60 dollars.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MAP ECUs / Ignitors / Dizzy etc.. celica-fiend 4 5,930 01-27-2009 10:01 PM
Last Post: tolisspi