A/C in AE86
11-27-2008, 08:27 PM
A/C in AE86
I f you want a daily car , it is necessary the a/c.
If you want a drift car PULL OUT ALL THE PARTS

Can i fit it into a fwd?

**COROLLA EE80 - 4AGE 124HP**
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - A/C in AE86]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-28-2008, 12:01 AM
A/C in AE86
tolisspi Wrote:I f you want a daily car , it is necessary the a/c.
If you want a drift car PULL OUT ALL THE PARTS

Can i fit it into a fwd?
Might be quite hard... The AC is mounted on the left side of the engine, so in a fwd setup it will be next to the radiator... How much space do you have left there?? Dumb question

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - A/C in AE86]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-28-2008, 12:33 AM
A/C in AE86
parrot Wrote:One problem you face with retro fitting the aircon is the idler pulley arrangement. Depending on whether or not you have power steering, the idler pulley arrangement is different. In Australia we didn't get 4AGE equipped AE86's so all of them have been converted with engines bought from engine importers, and these engines could have come from AE82's, MR2's, corona's (as my original engine did) or AE86's. When I did my conversion, I ended up discovering an AW11 MR2 idler pulley was exactly right for my non power steering car.

My car is genuine AE86 without powersteering and A/C.
Sunroof is electrical and only thing that doesn't require manual labour beside 4AGE of course Smile. Everything else, mirrors, windows, locking, steering is excersize, excersize Smile

Do you know what i need to put a/c ?

p.s. i'm considering power steering also, at least as an option. I would be happy to know what are the differences.

Thanks in advance
Find all posts by this user
12-20-2008, 06:56 AM
A/C in AE86
The "round thing" is the receiver/drier, and you will need one. The condensor is the smaller radiator in front of the water cooling one.

But there are many parts to need, and multiple versions that are not all compatible. If you can't get ALL the parts from one donor car, at least get the shop manual and parts sheets, so you can make sure of what the complete system needs and which part sets match.

Evaporator, condensor, receiver/drier, compressor, compressor clutch, many hard lines, several rubber lines, some mounts that vary by engine and model and component, a different belt to drive it, the electronics module "AC amplifier" that sits under the glove box with the evaporator, the evaporator drain hose....and then of course the proper gas (R12, R134a doesn't work as well) and a set of tools for the gas, gauges, vacuum suction pump....

This is a major job, probably comparable to a custom engine swap, unless you are familiar with AC systems.

Original owner, 1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S in the US of A. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150 or a Ford GT44.
12-20-2008, 05:39 PM
A/C in AE86
Damn, yes, it is complicated.

I just lookad at EPC and concluded there are so many different A/C configurations depending on market, trim, engine, existence od PS, MY...

At least that makes preety clear to me that i should look only at US version.
Europe didn't have A/C as na standard equipment, but did have as dealer option. I presume that one would fit perfectly but it is impossible to find.
That makes US version as an only option.

Thanks
12-20-2008, 08:46 PM
A/C in AE86
There was no "factory" AC on the US cars, either.

What is usually mis-called factory AC here is "POE" (Port of Entry) installed after the cars were unloaded at the docks in the US, in order to get past tariff rules on foreign AC systems. At least that's the excuse Toyota gave. It was retrofitted, on the docks, after the cars arrived.

And that system uses entirely different parts (for no good reason) from the ones that the dealers installed--which could and should have used the same parts, but just didn't.

So even with US, parts won't just match up. They all have to be one kind, or the other.

Original owner, 1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S in the US of A. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150 or a Ford GT44.
12-21-2008, 02:50 AM
A/C in AE86
Both EDM and USDM had "dealer" and "maker" options which are the same for both spec.

I uploaded images here for easier comparation:

http://picasaweb.google.com/uzelac/AE86ACEuroUS#

But, since the A/C is impossible to find in Europe, i will have to go for one of US options all the way. Presumably, some things are interchangable, but...
12-21-2008, 07:40 AM
A/C in AE86
I don't know the year or source for those images, but "maker" just means Toyota owned--or contracted--with the "port of entry" facility for installations. They were never done during actual production of the US-market-car in Japan.

When you say "the same for both spec" you mean both US & EU? (Not POE versus dealer.) That would make sense.

Someone from Dubai? Or somewhere around that corner of the world was looking for aftermarket air conditioning a year or so ago, I'm not sure if it was on this forum but if you can find a complete aftermarket "kit" it might be simpler--and cooler. The factory AC was barely adequate (by US standards) in the hatchback, even when brand new.

12-21-2008, 11:02 AM
A/C in AE86
i have all the parts from an usdm except the pump and box Big Grin

DonĀ“t Think About The Past,
Live In The Present And
Dream About Tomorrow
12-21-2008, 04:17 PM
A/C in AE86
Red Wrote:When you say "the same for both spec" you mean both US & EU? (Not POE versus dealer.) That would make sense.

Exactly "maker" is the same for EDM and USDM, "dealer option" also.

Red Wrote:Someone from Dubai? Or somewhere around that corner of the world was looking for aftermarket air conditioning a year or so ago, I'm not sure if it was on this forum but if you can find a complete aftermarket "kit" it might be simpler--and cooler.

Please, find it if you can, i would mean a lot.
I presume this option is also much more expensive, but...

Red Wrote:The factory AC was barely adequate (by US standards) in the hatchback, even when brand new.

if this is true, than the standard kit isn't worth of trouble, no matter how easy or low cost soluiton it is.

Thanks