4AGE oil sump - 5 quarts are better then 4........
07-23-2010, 08:03 PM
One of the problems with our hardy little engine(Toyota "A" engines) is they often blow up when they spend too much time about 6k rpm. Part of the reason is when they spend much time up there... the oil pump pumps almost all of the oil out of the pan to lubricate the engine.
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - 4AGE oil sump - 5 quarts ar... 4........]

The oil then takes its time flowing back to the pan, and the whole process is repeated.

Now if our little engines weren't bad enough with that, they also tend to push some oil up and out of the engine(breather hole-catch can).

Combine the two - and things can go BOOM rather quickly.

One way of stopping this is by adding volume. With more oil in the pan, there is less chance of the pump emptying the pan of oil.

extra sump oil pans are not new... here is one that sells for over $200 in Japan, and this one also requires a collector(extra cost) be fitted

Let me introduce to you my most recent project - A few months back I was asking for old oil pans from folks because I had a few ideas.....

What is new is the design. Each side of the Winged Wonder/Bat Pan pan holds 2 cups(473ml) of oil, 4 cups = 1 quart(.946 liters). Each side is heavily sloped so that oil will always feed the center sump. What is special about this design is the overly simple way of minimizing the oil loss from evacuating the center sump during cornering.... in EITHER direction.

This is the 1st prototype. A few issues have already been noted, for example the drainplug will be moved to one of the rear corners of the main sump, this will allow more complete drainage.

Quote:any pictures of it installed,

Well, now that you mention it........

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
Find all posts by this user
07-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Further development........ is this a useful addition???

In the last photo I posted there is one significant "hole" still to be "plugged"

that hole is the main sump hole....

Here we have a simple plate(paper for simplicity), weld it to the pick up tube

now this isn't meant for absolute sealing as much as it is for acting more as an additional baffle. Here are a few bi-panel photos for easier understanding...

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - 4AGE oil sump - 5 quarts ar... 4........][Image: AEU86 AE86 - 4AGE oil sump - 5 quarts ar... 4........]

the final photo shows it fitted under the windage tray

Is this a worthwhile addition????

Dan -

07-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Brilliant. As always.

http://www.86ers.org
All the hachies that Daytona can only dream about.
07-26-2010, 08:51 PM
You may want to be careful that you don't end up with too much oil around the crank under cornering that will then get forced by the crank back up into the head via the oil return , it is always a good idea to gate the wings so that the introduced oil has got something to 'lean' against on the opposite side of the sump .Just my thoughts , I have something similar on my rally car but with baffled gates.

Your addiction to motorsport can only be cured by poverty !!
09-09-2015, 08:57 AM
I know this is an old topic but has any more development been done on this?
09-10-2015, 11:30 AM
In what scenario would oil be forced vertical where that baffle sits? If you accelerate very hard I can understand that oil can run backwards up the slope.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2015, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2015 06:36 PM by oldeskewltoy.)
(09-10-2015 11:30 AM)harkes Wrote:  In what scenario would oil be forced vertical where that baffle sits? If you accelerate very hard I can understand that oil can run backwards up the slope.
My thoughts were during rally.... when "G" loads are something other than typical

There hasn't been any further development... but be my guest and take it further Wink

Dan -