4AC-4AGZE swap
08-27-2006, 09:57 AM
4AC-4AGZE swap
alrighty. its time to get rid of this stock 4ac. However, I've only found guides to go from a 4age to a 4agze. relatively simple swap. anyone know of a guide (I already tried search, please don't tell me to use the search button) or know someone who has done this swap? I will give anyone who helps me a big hug next time I see them. Thumbs up!
I need this soon becuase my 4ac is on its last leg and is probably under a month from dying. thanks for anything you can direct me too

Matt

1971 Ford Mustang
1984 Hachi-Roku

http://www.club4ac.com
slowest AE86 club on the net Smile
Find all posts by this user
08-27-2006, 11:24 AM
4AC-4AGZE swap
Hey Matt,

Do a search! <grin> nah just kidding, you wont find enough on what you are looking forBig Grin

Okay one thing you may wanne do is check the thread above/below this one with efvan42 who's searching around on details on doing a silvertop swap into his 4AC powered hachi. You two guys are gonne be able to help eachother alot. You are going to have face alot of similar problems. Yes the silvertop and 4AGZE are different powerplants (he's not going to have to deal with intercoolers and superchargers) but at the same time the swap has alot in common aswell (power increase, carb to EFI, etc).

The added difficulty from swapping 4AC to 4AGZE compared to 4AGE to 4AGZE is in the fact that the 4AC is carbed so you have serious short commings on your fuel system and there is the shortcommings in the electrical system.
For fuel system best option is probably swapping the whole system out for a GT or custom making it. That means fuel pump, fuel lines, filters, the works, it don't have to cost much, but you do have to do it. Keep in mind that the stock 4AG fuel pump probably does not supply enough fuel for a 4AGZE. If you've swapped all the other GT bits over an Mazda RX7 FC TII is supposed to be a direct fit and those pumps deliver plenty of fuel.

For electrical system, I truely have no clue Big Grin The only 2 SR5's I've seen in my live got swapped to GT or Silvertop specs before I ever touched them. I can imagine though that with a total lack of EFI they miss all the electrics that you need and what electrics they have are probably not up to the demands you are going to place on it. Now probably with the 4AGZE swap you'll be using the 4AGZE wireloom anyways so probably this wont be a big problem allthough joining it togethr with the 4aC wireloom (that you do need for the normal bits like lights) might be a nice challengeBig Grin

Another thing that is very important to realize is that the 4AC axle is gonne kill itself if you hammer it with the full potential of the 4AGZE, same story as with the silvertop. These axles are not ment to take more then 100hp or so. You need to atleast swap to a GT or hiace axle even if you keep the drumbrakes (easier swap then going to full disk brakes).

Last but not least, and I forgot to mention this to efvan.. Don't forget your brakes! Brakes are a sensative subject with hachi's from the start. Given that with fresh GOOD pads, good rotors, new brake lines, good booster these brakes are great for normal driving and last for your average track days, but for serous track days they simply leave alot to be desired. Add 30% or so hp by supercharging you'll increase your demand on the brakes on the circuit (you'll be going faster, you'll be braking more), you'll get into more trouble if you keep the stock brakes.
Not as much of a problem if you're building a drift car. But if you're going for a track car upgrading your brake system is a must if you're going for more hp (and drumbrakes are gonne be a no no then).

Note: I've NEVER done a swap in my whole live. Above is the general picture I've gotten from what I've read on this and other boards and from my own research from wanting to do a 4AGZE swap some day if they are still available by then...

I really hope you succeed in doing this, PLEASE LOADS OF PICS! Document every step of the way in full details, then I will owe you big timeBig Grin

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
08-27-2006, 07:25 PM
4AC-4AGZE swap
wow Mux, thanks so much. this is probably going to be done sometime In the next 5-6 months. I will keep you updated. I already have the front clip sourced, just need to order it. so I don't have to freak out about ecus or wire harnesses. I really don't know much about electronics since the only other car I've ever worked on was a 71 mustang. only thing electrical is the coil... but I'm for sure going to take a thousand pictures. So what you're saying is there should not be any fabrication?
Quote:joining it togethr with the 4aC wireloom (that you do need for the normal bits like lights
will this be necessary? does this mean lighting like interior lighting or headlights. what is a haice axle? (sorry I'm still newish to the import scene) I know that a GT axle is hard to come by because everyone wants them. In reguards to brakes, would a big brake kit be sufficient? or something more than that? I'm hoping that this thread will stay active for some time and eventually become a resource for other people who think they'll get made fun of or *told to use the search button* if they ask.
Quote:If you've swapped all the other GT bits over an Mazda RX7 FC TII is supposed to be a direct fit
does "other GT bits" mean the fuel lines and fuel filters and then just using an FC fuel pump? thank you thank you thank you. you are a god among mortals Respect! Respect! Respect! Respect! Respect! Respect! Respect!

1971 Ford Mustang
1984 Hachi-Roku

08-27-2006, 08:20 PM
4AC-4AGZE swap
hey surfing dreams, like mux said I am doing a 4ac silvertop swap... but the only problem which mine is that I dont have a full harness...

anyway if you haven't looked yet I found great instructions on how to do this swap, for a silvertop. its not for the 4agze but the only difference is the supercharger.

http://www.club4ag.com/technical_main.htm

this should give you a good idea
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-27-2006, 11:12 PM
4AC-4AGZE swap
ya I've read that a thousand times. but I was wondering if I would have to do a kind of 4age swap before the 4agze swap.

1971 Ford Mustang
1984 Hachi-Roku

08-27-2006, 11:14 PM
4AC-4AGZE swap
Surfingdrums,

For fuel and axle, I'd say yesBig Grin

For electrical, aint got a clue Big Grin

I'd say, just start building in the 4AGZE and see where you get stuck..

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
08-28-2006, 08:01 AM
4AC-4AGZE swap
so what is a haice axle? [edit] and are the motor mounts the same? [/edit]

1971 Ford Mustang
1984 Hachi-Roku

08-28-2006, 08:07 AM
4AC-4AGZE swap
i think by the axle he means the rear end.. for the lsd, and the mounts are the same since it is a 4a block.
08-28-2006, 08:38 AM
4AC-4AGZE swap
Quote:You need to atleast swap to a GT or hiace axle
is this a spelling error then? so confused... Confused Confused Confused

1971 Ford Mustang
1984 Hachi-Roku

08-28-2006, 09:00 AM
4AC-4AGZE swap
It might be hilux, but I don't know Wink

Sarcasme is just one of the things I offer Wink

Daily driver: '92 Toyota Carina E GTI
Rebuilt project: '86 Levin hatch
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - 4AC-4AGZE swap]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OST-066: I get all wavy (4AC content) oldeskewltoy 10 11,558 04-03-2020 04:29 PM
Last Post: Power_uP
  4ac to 4age redtop wiring question JDMjonSR5 1 3,702 04-16-2013 04:18 AM
Last Post: JDMjonSR5
  4agze ae86 swap. JDMjonSR5 1 3,939 02-26-2013 02:36 AM
Last Post: JDMjonSR5
  20v head in 4ac block??? its posible? BETOBMA3 23 34,475 01-02-2012 11:43 PM
Last Post: jameslad
  My AE86's 4AGZE Swap (Sri Lanka) heshan 21 23,114 07-14-2010 04:18 PM
Last Post: ash16valve