Buying an AE88 as a first car?
05-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Im 16 getting my license in less than a month and was wondering should i get an AE86 as a first car?? Im worried what should i do when im trying to buy one? Such as engine, engine bay, interior, exterior, and area's under the car?
Find all posts by this user
05-05-2013, 10:41 AM
My advice would be: don't, unless you have the money for a well kept one (which are rare enough).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Get a proper, reliable daily driver. And as for hobby - get an 86. Thumbs up!

AE86 Full Hybrid - Burns rubber and gasoline
05-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Yea a AE86 is a hobby car, and expensive if you want a car that is in a very good condition. Smile

Restoring my AE86, all the way... Going JDM style Big Grin
http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/ae86/p/150463#150463
05-05-2013, 08:48 PM
No, just no. Get a MX5 if you need/must have a little RWD car.
05-05-2013, 10:29 PM
..... if you are a mechanic or your dad is you can take a hachi. But an miata is a nice little car with alot of potential. And besides, cabrio's are cool

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
05-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Don't get an AE86, don't get it's mid engined brother the MR2, get another RWD car such as BMW or as stated an MX5 - these cars are cheaper and will teach you a lot about driving a RWD.

They are a totally different animal to FWD cars which you will be learning in.

No offence, but drivers aged 18-25 in whatever country do have accidents very soon after getting their licenses and it breaks my heart to see someone buy a classic and iconic car like this only to wrap it around a tree.

I did this in a Peugeot 205 when I found out what lift off over steer was and it taught me a lot!

Also when you feel you are experienced enough make sure you have VERY deep pockets or a limitless supply of money.
05-07-2013, 02:16 PM
No-one here can stop you from getting an AE86, but you have to be darn sure you want one, you have to be motivated and willing to learn, willing to do mechanical work, you have to be a responsible driver.

You have to be a responsible owner, dont just go and goof off like a swag while your dad works his ass off on your car, it`s annoying as heck for those helping you keep your dream car alive..

Also just a general driving advice for you, trust me when I say:

It`s NOT one your carefree swag friends car, so dont let them drive it, they did not pay for it, so when you`re actually driving (And thus assume responsibility for your surroundings) ALWAYS assume even your bestest of friends don`t know squat about responsible driving and also assume they really dont care if you smash the car EVERY time they ask you to drift some corner.

It`s a good rule of thumb to assume that they`ll ALWAYS sneak off and say "Yeah good luck with that.." (Unless injured enough not to get away. or in worst case dead as a consequence of this bad stunt) and let you bear the brunt in both loss of an AE86 and lawsuit & consequences for reckless driving (Including injury or death to your person and potentially mowing down a bunch of school kids when you go in too fast and lock the brakes)

Written with all good intentions in mind, not trying to be an arse here.
I hope you really want this car; You`ll get one, forums are here, a lot of knowledge is here so the means to learn and actually keep your car working even by yourself is decided by your motivation!

1x AE86 84` Zenki Coupè Levin 4A-GE 20v
1x AE86 83' Zenki Coupe Levin 4A-GE 16v
1x TA60 82' Sedan 2T 8V
1x TA40 78` MK1 Zenk/Pre-Facelift Wagon 4A-GE 16v
05-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Cool post!

Actually i am the owner of my hachi since 15th Jan 2011. Only my dad drives my AE86, not even my best friends, girlfriend, ex-gf's were able to drive my car. Know why? I worked my ass off to get money to buy that piece of old iron! Nowadays i work my ass off to improve my car with new parts.....

You also have to enjoy mechanics, and working in your car... This piece of metal is always asking for love, if it's not a bearing its a leaking somewhere or rust or a loosen bolt.... Everyday you have to dedicate to an object with love....

About deep pockets... Unless you have money to spend, the car will be in poor condition (usually) and you'll not get any good experience out of it... So my advice is, buy one if you can maintain it....

We are in 2013, and buy this time many cars came out.... If i were you i would by something else, better to start with (Nissan's, BMW's and Mazda's) they are cheaper and also easy to work with.... And in a few years the GT86 will be affordable to get as the AE86 once was..... It's all about timing! Wink

If you're thinking about all that takumi shit, forget the AE86 you'll probably crash in no time and maybe destroy your life and maybe others lives...

The end up my post, follow your heart, but whatever you want..!

Regards
05-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Danny4AGE Wrote:Im 16 getting my license in less than a month and was wondering should i get an AE86 as a first car???

As many others are saying if youre a mechanic or your dad is and you have to know for sure that this is really the car you live for. You have to be sure that this car will keep your interest even when you're having a hard time to repair something. It wouldn't be the first guy that buys an AE86 and runs into a problem and brings it to the junkyard.

I am 15 myself and i know that i will keep my interest in the AE86 even when i run into a problem. But i find myself not a good mechanic yet so i decided to wait. My brother is a mechanic and he told me its not a smart move for me yet and told me that i can help him with his 1970 240z instead Smile. So that makes me happy for now. I will get it one day but its just too early.

Danny4AGE Wrote:Im worried what should i do when im trying to buy one? Such as engine, engine bay, interior, exterior, and area's under the car?

Do some research about the AE86 first because i think you haven't seen many projects yet. Watching these projects gives you a little bit of knowledge of how the AE86 is. (atleast it did to me and made me want it even more Thumbs up! ) And it will give you some inspiration on what you would want to do with it. I'd have mine standard looking with some watanabe wheels and with either a Blacktop or Silvertop engine but thats my opinion. I dont like all these wide body cars but i respect them and their owners because of the work that has been put in it.

But i tell you think and think and think and then think again if this is really what you want spending alot of free time working on the car because that's what it needs and deserves. And expect if you crash it ppl will hunt you down Evil

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4A-GE first experience DRFT 8 10,719 05-04-2012 01:51 AM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  My first summer with my Corolla pack 6 7,175 09-01-2011 09:23 PM
Last Post: pack
  My First Hachi, engine question bkk_marc 16 14,325 04-15-2009 06:47 AM
Last Post: 777AE86
  My first MOT fail kungfumaster 21 14,559 07-27-2007 06:41 PM
Last Post: kungfumaster
  Building a 4AGE Turbo for the first time Wraith 21 18,278 06-09-2006 11:18 AM