Bluetop Engine Rebuild multiple question Goal 150-160hp
04-19-2021, 10:08 PM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2021 10:09 PM by Hanzo.)
RE: Bluetop Engine Rebuild multiple question Goal 150-160hp
(04-16-2021 04:45 AM)Project D Wrote:  
Quote:Pistons: if you want them made "locally" you could look at Wossner.
Otherwise, plenty of good options out there (Traum, CP, JE, etc...)

Thanks for the recommendations. I will look them through one by one. Already did Wossner.

Quote:ECU: I have tuned a few in the last 10 years.
If you are going to get it tuned by a professional:
I would recommend to see what your tuner is familiar with. If you choose ECU from brand "X", but your tuner only know / tune brand "Y", it can be problematic...
My mechanic also told me that. It also makes a lot of sense.^^

Quote:If you are going to tune it yourself:
First, make sure you will be able to do it. If you never touched an engine management in your life, you probably won't (especially with ITB)
If you've never done it but you want to, the 4AG with the stock intake is actually a good platform to start with.
It's not crazy complicated as some would make it be, but it does require a bit of knowledge. So learn the basics first.

Would be pretty interesting. I like to tinker with stuff. It is defintely not easy to find a good tuning shop in germany. We have like 2 decent tuning shops for Lotus cars in Germany.

Quote:Also, list what your needs would be. Nothing worse than buying something and realizing later on that it can't do what you want (lack of input/output, functionality, etc...)

For a 4A-GE, if you want it to be future-proof you need at least:
2 temp input for air and coolant (but I would recommend at least 3)
2 to 4* analog input, one being dedicated to the throttle position (depending if it have onboard map sensor and wideband controler)
2 trigger input
1 digital input
1 CANBUS
4 ignitions output (only 1 if you want to keep the distributor)
4 injection output (no need for peak and hold if you plan to use modern injectors)
4 spare output (fuel pump relay, idle control, etc...)

Link is good but can end up quite expensive. An AtomX would work, the futur-proof option would be the FuryX. (I personally only dealt with a G4+ Xtreme)

Megasquirt. I have done plenty but I would advise AGAINST it. The appeal was the OEM ECU connector with the, now discontinued, DIYPNP version (not to be confused with the MSPNP, only for the US version of the AE86).
Lack a tone of features, use the obsolete serial port for communication...

MaxxECU. A solid option. the futur-proof option would be the Sport version.

If your want to spend more on the engine management than the car itself, MoTeC, Emtron, Syvecs, Bosch Motorsport, Cosworth. All fabulous ECU but crazy expensive !

I will go with your advice to first find a decent tuning shop and ask what ECUs he uses normally. And also keep in mind what and how many input/putput connections i actually need.

I won't buy a MOTEC like Tsuchiya aka DriftkingBig Grin but something decent.
And thanks again.

Edit: I will figure out how to quote correctly in the futureBlush

(04-16-2021 07:25 PM)Project D Wrote:  Actually, I WOULD recommend the "illegal clones" for anybody who want to experiment or get started.
(Cost around $100/150 for a "MS2" based copy. I will not name them as they are pretty easy to find)

This does sound like a good cost effective DIY solution.Thumbs up!
Find all posts by this user

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bluetop Engine Rebuild multiple question Goal 150-160hp - Hanzo - 04-19-2021 10:08 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about 4AG 20v Engine Block CHACAMAN 1 1,242 06-10-2022 05:17 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Rear Differential rebuild chenfon 10 7,201 11-20-2020 12:18 AM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Newb question on "how-to" guide for ITBs on JDM 4AG Bluetop w/ MAP mister86 12 9,526 02-10-2020 06:39 PM
Last Post: Power_uP
  AE86 4A-GE 16v engine harness rebuild FanIsHere 7 8,526 01-17-2020 08:04 PM
Last Post: Project D
  Rear Caliper Rebuild mad.matt 16 15,109 01-19-2017 02:19 PM
Last Post: Project D