Doubts about specific AE86 parts
02-11-2019, 10:41 PM
If the owner says it needs an oil pump and it hasn't run for 10 years,
I'd guess that the engine is toast and will need a total rebuild. Owner
sounds like he thinks he has a fish on the hook and is trying to reel
you in Smile Keep a tight hold on your wallet !!!

Cheers... jondee86

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.
Find all posts by this user
02-11-2019, 10:56 PM
(02-11-2019 10:41 PM)jondee86 Wrote:  If the owner says it needs an oil pump and it hasn't run for 10 years,
I'd guess that the engine is toast and will need a total rebuild. Owner
sounds like he thinks he has a fish on the hook and is trying to reel
you in Smile Keep a tight hold on your wallet !!!

Cheers... jondee86

This...

These cars are getting harder and harder to acquire.... and it sounds like the seller thinks he has a piece of gold..... You might just give him an offer, with a time limit attached. if he doesn't "bite", you move on

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
02-11-2019, 11:53 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2019 02:57 PM by Patrick Ross.)

I think so too. But he doesn't know who he's dealing with, as I've been searching for a long time just because I don't like to get me plucked Wink
And I'm ready to continue the search.

I'm asking so bad a vehicle license because that will give me some assurances on the condition of the car.
And if this negotiation comes to the next step I'll ask a local mechanic to check the car, on a test bench, if necessary.

Thank you for the precious advice, jondee86 Smile

Another good tip that I think I'll follow. Thank you oldeskewltoy Smile

Yes, unfortunately I read many write "No lowballers, I know what I have"... A nice and realiable car with more than 30 years, good fuel consumption (for its era. not today), and funny to drive (but only in a track) but no more.
I wonder if they think the others are all fools or are they...
02-12-2019, 10:08 AM
It's probably been said before but I'll say it again:
It is better to spend a bit more and buy the cleanest example you can get your hands on than to take a on
something that will become a big project.
This car leans more to the project side of things.. but it looks like it is hiding it well. The cracks in the paint
tell me there is filler with rust underneath.. But wings and hatches can be replaced easily so dont let
that put you off. Focus on the chassis.. that is where you dont want to find hidden surprises.

Places you MUST check for rust:
-Front floor corners
-rear floor corners (underneath the rear seat along the wheel wells)
-rear trunk pockets
-chassis rails around the fuel tank
-wheel arches

If your okay with a bit of a project then that's up to you, just make sure you pay a project price for the car.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-12-2019, 02:04 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2019 02:42 PM by Patrick Ross.)

Also I am to get a car as mint as possible Smile
Even for that reason I've increased a bit my budget.

The problem is the "bit more" as sometimes the difference in economic terms can be high, or more simply we must to take the opportunity when it cames.
Imperative is to reckon with the expenses to fix the problems before buying a non-mint car.

(02-12-2019 10:08 AM)Ivan141 Wrote:  This car leans more to the project side of things.. but it looks like it is hiding it well.

I think seller hide something aswell Undecided

(02-12-2019 10:08 AM)Ivan141 Wrote:  If your okay with a bit of a project then that's up to you, just make sure you pay a project price for the car.

Talking about an OEM AE86 (that's what I would like ), I think the final expense wil be similar both for a mint one and for a project, so I'd rather find a car with little or no work to do. But I don't want miss any opportunities.

Thanks for your reccomandations, Ivan141, I'll follow them for sure Smile
I don't like surprises lol

We've tolked about the rust and I was thinking if it's possible to prevent it, once removed, without apply the paint. I mean ignoring aesthetic consequence, just as provisional work.
Maybe just a splash of prime in the area after the anti-corrosion treatment? Or maybe by adding some spray painting?

The reason behind my stupid question is to use the car (and eventually keep It parked outdoors, exposed to the weather) without fully restore it straightaway, in order to postpone expenses.
02-12-2019, 11:16 PM
A splash of primer isn’t going to keep rust away, it’ll take alot more than that. Been there, done that.
Like Jondee said, i kinda suspect the engine being bad. What if the car got parked in 2009 because the pump gave out and it ran dry. Does the engine still turnover?

What’s the price of the car?

ハチロク

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Doubts about specific AE86 parts]
02-13-2019, 01:02 AM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2019 01:03 AM by Patrick Ross.)
(02-12-2019 11:16 PM)zenki Wrote:  A splash of primer isn’t going to keep rust away, it’ll take alot more than that.

Got it, thank you Zenki Smile

(02-12-2019 11:16 PM)zenki Wrote:  Does the engine still turnover?

What’s the price of the car?

I really don't know. He said that it's possible to run the car for a test, after he fixed the fuel pump, as I asked. But I still waiting for the vehicle license.
The negotiation goes on slowly and it's hard for me to get many info as he often ignore my questions, so I must insist.
His attitude alert me a bit so I'll be extremely careful.

LOL (sorry if I laugh) he asks €6900 and doesn't seems willing to drop the price. He wrote "I think you don't know the real Price for an actual ae86 in good condition", that reminds me "No lowballers, I know what I have".
But, beyond the price itself, "good condition"? I think he doesn't really believe what he says. I hope so...
02-21-2019, 03:53 AM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2019 03:57 AM by Patrick Ross.)
After a week I haven't had an answer from him, I wrote him again. He replied me that the car was sold...[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Doubts about specific AE86 parts]

Sorry, I could not resisted the temptation XD

The winner paid:

€501!

As I think it's not the real price at which it was sold, I guess he was offended by my frankness, even if I never insulted him. Or maybe he just tried to make me eat my heart out because of my initial bid, never rised up since he never lowered the price, as several times by me required (aswell as other info and photos never given) LOL

Well, excuse me for the time I took you. Time not wasted, as I caught at least some precious advice for future negotiations. Moving on Wink

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-22-2019, 10:20 PM
Lightbulb Doubts about specific AE86 parts
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Better luck next time Smile

Cheers... jondee86

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.
02-24-2019, 12:28 PM

Words of wisdom, mate.

Don't worry, I'm not demoralized Wink

(02-22-2019 10:20 PM)jondee86 Wrote:  Better luck next time Smile

I quote and share!

Have a nice day, jondee86

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  goodridge SS brake lines fitting doubts wouter86 17 15,478 04-30-2014 06:33 PM
Last Post: wouter86