Ivan's coupe: roof stuccowork
05-02-2021, 08:49 PM
That's a lot of bolts! Huh
Are you going to do the zink plating yourselves?

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Ivan's coupe: roof stuccowork]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2021, 10:02 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2021 10:04 PM by Ivan141.)
I'm taking them to a belgian company that specializes in surface treatments. Have a few bolts coated with that stuff (from an acquaintance who had all his bolts treated for his Ford Granada project), and they just refuse to rust even though I've had them loitering about the garage for years.
The coating is called P2000, the 2000 stands for the amount of hours of salt-spray testing it can endure. Yellow (Cr6) passivated zinc coating can take maybe 450-500hrs.

I would guess I have about 3kg's of brand new bolts in the batch, and perhaps another 3 from your and Dennis' old parts Celica, even some from a collection of old Volvo bolts I had.
Bolts break and you can never have enough. Just getting new ones is not an option as automotive bolts are often quite specific with the wide collars and captive rings, hard to find and expensive.
Everything I'll have left is sure to come in handy around the garage.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
05-05-2021, 09:14 PM
Ah I see Auntie Celica's bolts get reused... I recently came across a bucket of bolts in my garage that belonged to that Celica. I guess they used to belong to the dashboard and other interior bits and pieces I stripped out a long time ago...

05-09-2021, 10:17 PM
Minor progress report:

Have finally managed to coax a response from the company that does the bolt coating after a week of trying. They charge €1,35/kg for their P1000 coating with a minimum of €95/batch. To be honest I am pleasantly surprised, but am now considering doing a roundup of a whole lot more bolts while I'm at it.. I can get 70kg done for that price.
BUT, it will be even more imposiible to figure out what is what if I do that... I am in a pickle..

I have been at the garage digging stuff from shelves that hasnt moved in 8 years. All
bits and pieces of the corolla that need to be evaluated, catalogued, stripped of all brackets and bolts (more for the coating batch).

Then I set to work on my front screens. These came back from blasting with only the edges cleaned up (asked them not to go further if there was a chance of damaging them). So I swung a paint stripping disc in their direction for about an hour and a half and ended up with this:
Spotted some minor surface rust taking hold at the bottom of one of them so I welded the pitting on the inside up a bit and then left them bare steel until I can get a can of rust converter (to stop what rust the abrasives couldnt reach).
After that a layer of epoxy primer is due, and probably some raptor liner on the insides.

Made this shot with an overdose of old Toyota's in it that I just had to share:

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
05-10-2021, 09:53 PM
Nice going! Thumbs up!
And I see you nicely covered up the 360, so no Volvo in sight! Big Grin
I fail to remember the yellow car in the corner. Was it already there six years ago?

05-10-2021, 09:57 PM
Rainbow Ivan's coupe: roof stuccowork
Yes, it's my yellow ep81 we don't talk about.... Big Grin

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
Find all posts by this user
05-11-2021, 10:13 AM
(05-02-2021 10:02 PM)Ivan141 Wrote:  The coating is called P2000, the 2000 stands for the amount of hours of salt-spray testing it can endure.

Holy shit dude. I'm getting my entire car dipped in that stuff as soon as I can.
Your car is very impressive, too many restorations get rushed so its good to see it all being done properly on your car.
Find all posts by this user
05-12-2021, 04:18 PM
Lovely work Ivan!

Wish i had a chance to own a Euro Levin again one day!!

Adam
05-12-2021, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the reactions guys, helps with motivation.

Small correction on the P2000 coating: everything I said about it is true, but I will be getting P1000 on my bolts.
The P2000 is apparently much the same coating, only thicker, was advised not to do it on bolts due to fitment clearances.
Still heaps better than the <100 hour rating for the Cr3 yellow coating that is available these days.

I was planning to go drop off the bolts today but I've postponed it until I've bought at least another 5kg of common bolt sizes.
Also gave my brother a chance to throw in his Miata crap in the batch, but only if he somewhat catalogs what is his so we can
divvy things up afterward.
On the other hand I did have time to visit an upholstery fabrics store and picked up some cool looking fabrics to try out on my old passenger seat.
Want to try to do redo the cream&brown look with a bit more interesting fabrics, see what it looks like.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
05-21-2021, 09:32 PM
Distractions, distractions..
Small teaser:
Just practicing with some scrap material.. second attempt will have a more traditional color scheme and less vinyl.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Front end roof compatibility between 2dr and 3dr Dochka 11 11,973 01-12-2014 05:50 PM
Last Post: fax0815