Ivan's coupe: roof stuccowork
03-13-2023, 04:19 AM
I can only imagine that getting a very short stretch hammer in there was not an option?

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-13-2023, 09:13 AM
I could get a dolly and some metal slapping spoons in there but there is no room to exert enough force.
Realistically it would have required separating the door skin from the frame, at which point you might as well go for a new doorskin if Amayama can actually deliver that is. (Toyota cant, I checked)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Pixel 4a met Tapatalk

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
03-13-2023, 01:08 PM
Technically you could stretch it from the outside too but it's not going to be pretty and more difficult to get and keep the right shape.

AE86 ex-daily
05-09-2023, 11:25 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2023 09:19 AM by Ivan141.)
Just a little sign of life.
Had another day of mud-slinging last weekend.

Sadly that began with the conclusion that my passenger door is borked beyond reasonable repair. So I'm lining up a replacement (and saying goodbye to the arm and leg it will cost me).
Have also inquired after new door-skin availability, if they are still available it might be worth saving the crappy door since they arent getting any more available or affordable.
Sadly the answer to that will need to wait till june since Amayama is having some warehousing difficulties and cant ship body panels at the moment.

Just after I remarked to Dennis how subtly he seemed to be applying filler to the quarter panel he couldnt resist doing this:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Ivan's coupe: roof stuccowork]
Here you can see the accompanying grin:

A few hours later the bulk of the quarter panel is roughed out:

Some transitional areas still need to be blended out and the wheel arch needs to be sharpened up, after that we will probably continue with the driver side door, which also has a few challenges but hopefully not nearly as bad as the passenger side.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
05-09-2023, 08:50 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2023 08:50 PM by banpei.)
That's a lot of filler! Huh
I know Dennis loves to use filler. The hatch of his old Celica AA63 contained a large chunk of filler that started to get loose back when I owned it. Big Grin
But at least your quarter panel is completely smooth now!

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
05-10-2023, 09:16 AM
Well, it's not that bad, but you have to take into account that these quarters have arches that I welded in myself. I did not do a bad job, but the welds were not invisible by any stretch of the imagination, so that needs to be covered. The quarter panel itself had some superficial denting, most of which were hammered out by Dennis to reduce the amount of filler required.
The theory of slapping on a large amount of filler in one go is not bad. You spread it out once, then start sanding until you hit metal. Then you stop sanding.
It's a way faster method than using small amounts and going over the same area many times. You do need to get rid of any obvious high spots off course.
If you've ever seen some Bad Chad vids on youtube you can see the concept in action many times (flood the panel, sand till you hit the bottom of the ocean).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
05-14-2023, 09:43 PM (This post was last modified: 05-14-2023 09:46 PM by Ivan141.)
I went on a roadtrip of substantial proportions last friday to pick up a better door.
Took the Doctor (Thomas) along for company and set out on a 3 hour drive to the south of belgium.

A mind-blowing sight.. and whats worse is that he had more than double what we see here at some point. The orange car should be very familiar to those who have been on the forum for a while.

Here's what I came 'home' with:
The message was for my bodyworking friend Dennis of course.

I dont recall having seen a door with this little rust in many years, so lets hope it wont take much time to whip in shape. (Wasted at least 4-5 workdays on the old one).
A peak at the most troublesome corner:

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
05-15-2023, 09:29 AM
nice to find it!

That guy is selling quite some cars at the moment, isn't he?
Is he selling all, or just some cars?
Find all posts by this user
05-15-2023, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 05-15-2023 01:17 PM by Ivan141.)
He's selling of most of what he has. Hasnt got the time to fix them up anymore. Irish guys have already emptied a lot of his stock.

I also picked up a pair of these Haslbeck rear bumper extensions to go with my sideskirts (and a fusebox that hasnt got any broken mounting tabs, yet):

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
05-15-2023, 09:22 PM
Nice find! Thumbs up!
I think I need to get in touch with him for some parts before it's too late... Smile

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Front end roof compatibility between 2dr and 3dr Dochka 11 11,972 01-12-2014 05:50 PM
Last Post: fax0815