Ivan's coupe: roof stuccowork
05-21-2021, 10:43 PM
Looks like a good improvement! Thumbs up!
That reminds me I still have a set of seats in my garage that have your name on them. Wink

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Ivan's coupe: roof stuccowork]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-30-2021, 09:46 PM
Finished the seat:

It's not perfect, the faux leather is not as smooth on the bottom as it needs to be to really look great, but I'd call this a solid practice run.

@Banpei: I'll try to make some room in the basement, have lots of days off this month so I'll come pick those seats up this june.

No car progress this weekend, low motivation. I'll probably have some time to give the project another big push this coming month.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
05-30-2021, 11:33 PM
Seat looks great. It looks nice and original while still fitting nicely with the age of the car.
Find all posts by this user
05-31-2021, 08:34 AM
Thanks.

The plan for my 86 is to go with something closer to the original dark-brown & cream though. I just wanted badly to try and recreate a look that I saw somewhere online
(https://www.cartailoring.com/ferrari-dino-308-gt4).
Had to admit defeat in finding any material close to that fabric in the link, so I just bought some cheap stuff that kinda sorta looked like it might be similar (it wasnt).
And I also wanted to see how horizontal pleats would look vs the original vertical ones.

I still have a few meters of some course weave brown&beige fabric that I want to try, and then also some velours in the same colors(not same as original, but I didnt have anything with me to compare colors that day). Takes a few days to sew one seat together though, so going is slow.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
06-01-2021, 09:53 PM
It looks good Ivan, so next one should be perfect! Thumbs up!
I'm not in a hurry with the seats, but let me know when you have time and I'll make sure I'm at the garage. Wink

06-06-2021, 10:01 PM
Another random update dump:

This week I've popped across the border to drop off my fasteners and small brackets for zinc coating. Hopefully I'll get most of what I brought back in a week or two.

On the way back I dropped by the garage without any real plan.
Ended up finishing the painting the steering column completely. Turns out the bolt on the height adjustment has left-hand thread, lucky I caught on to that before I broke anything.

Then primered the front wings which I'd treated with some rust converter a week ago.

Back at home I managed to finish one rear seat back in some materials I was hoping to try out:

It's a lot coarser weaved fabric, dark brown bottom, beige center, and black leatherette top (original is brown, but I want the seats to match my black dashboard).
Interested to hear what you guys think about it.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
06-07-2021, 05:38 PM
That looks amazing and I like it! Thumbs up!
However I'm going to nitpick a bit now as I have been staring to brochures for waaaay too long in the past months. Tongue

In Japan this style of woven of fabric was only available on the Japanese GT. All lesser trim levels received finer fabrics and all higher trim levels (GT-Apex and GT-V) got velours fabric. All European GT and GTi models (except the Finnish AE86, which got the GT trim level) got the velours fabric. So given these facts, you're basically making it a GT trim level. Tongue
But I would say this type of material is much more comfortable when your car is lacking aircon as it breathes better.

06-07-2021, 08:42 PM
Well, I never stopped to consider what trim I would be keeping close to. I just pointed at some rolls of fabric and said gimme a few yards of these please.
I'm sure I could make something quite similar to the original fairly easily, and it would be fairly comfortable, but it wouldnt be very special for something custom
made now would it.
Thanks for the praise though, quite a lot of hours of labour went into this and I'm happy to have it turn out so well.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
06-07-2021, 09:06 PM
I'd really wish I had the same skills! Then I'd definitely redo my own seats! Thumbs up!

06-08-2021, 08:43 AM
Perhaps we can work something out.. first need to finish my complete interior though.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Front end roof compatibility between 2dr and 3dr Dochka 11 12,043 01-12-2014 05:50 PM
Last Post: fax0815