Parrot's Sprinter & Levin shed
09-04-2007, 08:08 AM
This is my ADM car (essentially like a USDM SR5) which I converted to 4AGE power about 15 years ago with an English engine loom spliced into the ADM loom. Disc brake rear end etc etc.

[img name=]http://www.aeu86.org/files/im/im000422_132.jpg[/img]

Anyway, after the first child was born it started playing up after 10 years of faultless running. So taken off the road and stuck in the shed to be replaced with a Peugeot 307 family runabout.

[img name=]http://www.aeu86.org/files/im/im000419_181.jpg[/img]

Eventually worked out the problem, a dodgy connection at EFI relay 2 due to a massive soldered connection to the injectors.

[img name=]http://www.aeu86.org/files/im/im000420_146.jpg[/img]

So decided to rebuild it properly this time. In these days of Ebay and the net, sourcing parts is easy so this is now essentially in GT apex spec, or will be when all the bits are bolted back on. Have a habit of fixing or installing something then deciding to pull it off again to "improve" something.

[img name=]http://www.aeu86.org/files/im/im000421_148.jpg[/img]

Have made a few improvements along the way however.
Don't get much of a chance to work on it so it is taking a while......

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
09-04-2007, 09:20 AM
damn nice car is it resprayed or ? It looks so clean

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
09-04-2007, 12:37 PM
No not resprayed, engine bay got a thorough scrub and the inside I sprayed with a can after removing the sound deadener.

Fortunate with rust, only a little at the bottom of the B pillars. The original owner fish oiled it thoroughly and whilst stripped out, have repeated the exercise.
09-04-2007, 10:00 PM
Nice! Thumbs up!
But I thought the Aussies got the 3A engines, not the 4A, or was that New Zealand? Dumb question

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Parrot's Sprinter & Levin shed]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-05-2007, 05:33 AM
We got 4AC's only in AE86's.

I believe NZ got 4AC AE85's and AE86's as well as 4AGE's
09-05-2007, 07:19 AM
parrot Wrote:I believe NZ got 4AC AE85's and AE86's as well as 4AGE's

All AE85's in New Zealand are second hand jap imports and are powered by a 3A. Only something like 35-45 new AE86's were sold in New Zealand, the rest are also imports..

Corolla Levin SR 1984 AE-85 (Project car)
Corolla Runx Z 2002 (Runabout)
09-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Rick Wrote:All AE85's in New Zealand are second hand jap imports and are powered by a 3A. Only something like 35-45 new AE86's were sold in New Zealand, the rest are also imports..
Ah that explains it. Smile

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Car
1985 ADM Red with sunroof

Engine
7 rib block, bottom end never touched (replaced a 3 rib block installed initially)
TRD 0.8mm head gasket
Wade 268 degree cams, vernier cam pulleys.
2 1/4" mandrel exhaust (was meant to be 2" mandrel but they stuffed up) with cat
All rear drive ancillaries, water outlets, alt brackets etc
standard Jap ECU with 185cc injectors but will be replaced with 225cc 1GGTE injectors and HKS F-Con piggyback after engineering
standard exhaust manifold
standard AE86 EFI fuel pump and bracket plus fuel line
Camry V6 twin core radiator with factory electric fan
ARC 'induction box' (standard Jap air cleaner for engineering)
Mocal remote oil filter setup to setrab 13 row cooler
UK engine loom
Jap engine ancillary loom (lights, charging, idle up etc)

Drivetrain
ADM T-50 with JDM bellhousing
Some heavy duty clutch, can't remember
Stock LSD 4.3 cwp

Suspension
Front:
AJPS 6kg springs on conventional strut
KYB 4 way shocks
T3 Camber tops
T3 RCA's
power steer arms
urethane bushed steering rack
Noltec urethane bushes throughout
adjustable whiteline front swaybar

Rear:
4.5kg AJPS springs
koni red dampers
Noltec urethane bushes
adjustable whiteline rear swaybar
T3 traction brackets
will get a adjustable panhard rod soon

Brakes:
Jap standard vented brakes
Jap standard rear discs
Mintex m1144 pads all around
cusco brake master cylinder brace
Jap brake booster and Jap rear disc proportioning valve
new RDA slotted rotors

Interior
Standard maroon
Jap velour seats, standard ADM rear seats (coming out)
Nardi classic wheel with 115mm personal/nardi boss (AE82 twincam wheel for engineering)
will get some sort of race seat down the track
Ditched the aircon
removed interior sound deadening, no radio being put back
Jap under dash loom
UK market dash cluster (240kmh)

Other bits and bobs:
Standard GT Front lip/ rear spoiler
Hayashi racing 14 x 6 wheels plus have a set of standard 14 x 6 intra alloys
old school strut brace
Headlights, indicators Jap GT levin lights with eyelids, levin tail lights
levin postbox grille with factory foglights
late folding electric mirrors
09-24-2007, 02:40 PM
I have updated this with new photo's and info after some recent interest.

Was trawling at pick and payless and came across a July 1988 VZV21 Camry auto V6 (2VZ-FE), with a twin core radiator for $55. Radiator inlet and outlet is on the same side as an AE86. Same basic design with plastic top and bottom tanks. You could look at it insitu and not even notice that it wasn't standard. Subsequently have noticed that the later V6 camry APPEARS to have the exact same radiator.

[img name=]http://www.aeu86.org/files/im/im000438_180.jpg[/img]

Compared to a standard AE86 radiator, overall height from top of radiator cap to bottom of tank is identical, 470mm. Width of camry is 710mm whereas AE86 is 592mm. Thus there is about 59mm of radiator either side with out airflow. Now fitted, and it goes in nicely clearing the chassis rail on the drivers side and the battery tray on the passenger side Now that I have it actually sitting properly, the wiring loom still fits in its original location contrary to my original post.

[img name=]http://www.aeu86.org/files/im/im000436_129.jpg[/img]

You need to relocate some lower locating brackets as the lugs are in a different position, although the lugs on the bottom of the camry rad are the same size as the AE86. I have taken the lower radiator mounting brackets from a ST162 and AE82 (drivers side bracket on these is a bolt on so easy to take off the donor) but make sure you get the rubbers too as these brackets have a bigger hole for the insulator to sit in. You do need to cut these brackets down to fit neatly to the AE86. You can still leave the AE86 brackets insitu as the camry lugs are a little inside so could refit the AE86 radiator if required. The top brackets do need to be relocated. Make sure you get the camry V6 jobbies as they have a D shaped moulding to suit the V6 rad, rather than a half moon shape found on everything else. I then extended these out by welding on a section of another bracket. Looking at this photo, the two inner bottom mounts are the new ones for the camry, the two outers are the original AE86 mounts.

[img name=]http://www.aeu86.org/files/im/im000437_886.jpg[/img]

[img name=]http://www.aeu86.org/files/im/im000439_160.jpg[/img]

The inlets and outlets are placed about 30mm further over towards the drivers side once you centre the radiator. The standard bottom hose fits easily without modification. However the top hose would need to be altered essentially as the radiator outlet diameter on the top only is 34mm across compared to 31mm on the AE86. No big deal. I ended up using a top hose of a SA61 I think which was new and soft and fitted over the radiator easily. Just cut off the bit I needed. The camry radiator has a transmission cooler incorporated in the bottom tank as evidenced by two olived couplings which I have removed and plugged.

Of course this radiator has twin thermos fitted so simplifies that too. Have double checked it fits with the hood down as I have taken off a guard and could see through.

No smart comments re my (lack of) welding prowess thanks

10-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Finally got my oil cooler with remote filter finished tonight. Had to wait to get two 45 degree fittings from Think Automotive in the UK. Amazingly difficult to get here in Australia and then when I did locate them, would have cost more than double what I eventually got them for, and that includes postage, plus saved a drive to Dandenong. Now waiting to hear back from Think Automotive to check I have configured it properly. Edit: heard back overnight it is setup correctly.

[img name=]http://www.aeu86.org/files/im/im000450_168.jpg[/img]

Have now put the dust shields back on all four discs, what a pain in the arse....

Now wiring up the thermo fan as per The Witzl, once I decide where to put my auxillary fuse box and relays.

Then to rebuild all the calipers.

Getting there slowly....zzzzzzzzzzzz

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hybrid to fossil burner - 84 Sprinter Trueno dasilva 31 21,919 12-23-2019 05:29 PM
Last Post: Power_uP
  Toyota Sprinter AE86 GT-Apex Trueno Skyracer 222 252,735 08-13-2016 12:46 PM
Last Post: Skyracer
  JDMitch's 1983 Sprinter Trueno AE86 Panda JDMitch 24 32,162 09-01-2010 11:37 AM
Last Post: nunoturbo
  Project **4JAMEZ**, Toyota Trueno Sprinter. James 11 13,644 05-01-2009 01:41 AM
Last Post: James
  RC Sprinter Trueno BackwardDrift 11 17,100 02-15-2007 10:08 AM
Last Post: Mux213