I bought a Hemi - Project Lit'lphant
06-07-2020, 09:19 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2020 09:25 PM by chetverg.)
Holds a 236mm clutch
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - I bought a Hemi - Project Lit'lphant]
suitable for flywheel 1S
sharpen the flywheel under the clutch step 236mm
Clutch disc RAV4 SXA10 31250-20141

I shoot a video on working with the engine
https://youtu.be/IGIpqG0vsGo
Find all posts by this user
06-08-2020, 04:30 PM
(06-07-2020 09:19 PM)chetverg Wrote:  I shoot a video on working with the engine
https://youtu.be/IGIpqG0vsGo

wish I understood Russian...........

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
06-09-2020, 01:23 PM
Just turn on the subtitle on Youtube, then activate the automatic translation to English. (it's not perfect obviously)
06-09-2020, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2020 04:23 PM by oldeskewltoy.)
(06-09-2020 01:23 PM)Project D Wrote:  Just turn on the subtitle on Youtube, then activate the automatic translation to English. (it's not perfect obviously)

You, or someone, had mentioned that before, but I never knew how.... I learned today... thank you......

Bean - thank you for the translation...

nice to see one "running"... Smile

Dan -

07-17-2020, 11:28 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2020 05:59 PM by oldeskewltoy.)
I now have my choice of transmissions... AR5(American R154) on top, A340E below.....

getting closer............

more to come.... Hurray!

Dan -

11-22-2020, 06:56 PM
Just an update... this build hasn't stopped, it's just on a short hold while we fit the drivetrain to the chassis....

Once this is finished... the engine build will proceed.....

more to come..... Hurray!

Dan -

10-17-2023, 08:42 PM
First update in 3 years..... no this didn't die.... it has been delayed (mostly the car.....) The engine was finished early in the summer of 2023, but let me go back and try to fill in some details.

This thread was posted to regularly - (https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/...28/page1/) if you'd like to see the order of events and the actual timeline.

So after Anthony built the mounts, the engine went back to Portland Engine Rebuilders. There was an issue (galling) with some of the rocker arms, they were sent out to be repaired, and refurbished.

While the rockers were being attended too, PER begin the rebuilding process with a full balancing of the bottom end.

The valve seals used came from the 4M engine, they worked just fine - note their shape for a bit later....

The shop fitted the new pistons to the rods - note the rod shape

The rods are known as giraffe, or in many cases diesel type rods. Also note that the rod caps and rods have jagged mating surfaces. Bearings are the used ones that came out - they are in great condition.

Short block went together

and the cam timing was set

Remember the flywheel.... It did need a few modifications - the center hole had to be enlarged by .015" so it would fit over the crank, and the bolt holes need to be changed(elongated slightly) so they would fit the crankshaft pattern.

And fitting the AR5 transmission

So now on to the valve spring search, and the valve seals from above. The stock spring package for the 5V is dual springs - here is where the valve seals come in, the inner spring holds the seal in place, so we need to keep it dual springs! Seat pressure is 65#s, and on the nose it is 175#s. Those numbers are rather mild, especially for something with dual springs.

With the new camshaft, Ted (owner at Portland Engine Rebuilders) felt 65#s on the seat and 175 on the nose would be too light for the new camshaft, he felt I needed about 100-110 on the seat, and about 220 on the nose. The inner spring rates were only 15#s on the seat, and 35# on the nose. (that makes the outer spring 50 on the seat, and 140 on the nose) The plan was to keep the outer spring, and upgrade the inner spring. Going though many sources for valve springs we weren't able to find anything suitable, until I sent an email to Pac Spring - they make many springs for many different companies - in fact they make 3 4AG springs!

They had a spring that would add 50#s on the seat, and 85#s on the nose, or as a total, the new spring would make seat pressure 100#s, and nose pressure 225#s.

The only hangup - the spring was a proprietary spring for AFR racing heads. Pac Spring asked AFR if they could sell me 8 inner springs, and AFR agreed. These springs are special as they have dual dampening features

So do to the rocker arm refurbish, and all the rest of the machine work, adjustable pushrods were used to make sure tolerances would be kept accurate.

Once the engine was mostly assembled it was fitted to a SimTest machine engine tester. She was spun upto about 600rpm.

(video of SimTest machine in use)

The engine is finished.... next step - getting it installed.......

Dan -

10-18-2023, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the update Dan!
I'm really curious how it will perform and what it will sound like! Thumbs up!

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-18-2023, 10:09 PM
It's great to see, especially as it's an engine that I never even knew existed until this thread began. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished vehicle with the engine installed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bought a Ae86 and super scared cause of rust can any one hel adamsaiyad 19 19,345 12-02-2009 02:29 AM
Last Post: [Walaki]D`Lair
  Bought a Hachi today XLarge 27 30,963 09-08-2005 10:06 AM
Last Post: PetzK