The A6 Celica/Carina topic
05-10-2014, 12:25 AM
i do, actually, but that's where they have 'snipperdagen' for Tongue

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
Find all posts by this user
05-12-2014, 08:59 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 08:59 PM by banpei.)
Picked up the Celica today with The Doctor and it isn't pretty not worth saving. Wink
I see no reason for keeping it alive so it will definitely be cut up and what's left over will get a second life as a Prius... (or similar car) Wink

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - The A6 Celica/Carina topic]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-12-2014, 11:46 PM
it was nice seeing back an old friend after 3 years Big Grin

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
07-05-2014, 02:20 PM
Havent done anything particularly noteworthy with my Carina over the last while... apart from drive it!

Have done almost 5,000kms since cert with minimal issues.

I've always been wondering how it would stack up weight wise though.

The benchmark I wanted to match or better for a lot of aspects was my previous car, an SW20 with beams motor. Which was 1030kg with about 1/3rd tank of gas. Put the carina on the weighbridge today, and it was 1040kg with 1/2 a tank.

Pretty happy with that considering I'd put in a heavier engine, gearbox, driveshaft, diff.

It's got MA61 seats at the moment which are quite heavy, and full glass... the glass in the rear hatch is quite heavy, it's why the weight of the coupe is actually heavier than the sedan when standard.

I might rig up one of my spare rear hatches with Lexan for trackday stuff, and without passenger seat it would be under a tonne fo' sho'

Until I hop in it, at least haha.

-The to-do list over the next while is:
-New tires, back to 205s instead of 195. maybe semis cant decide.
-Replaced the only-good-for-skids Cusco 2 way LSD with a Torsen and maybe 4.1 ratio instead of 4.3 (Sucks doing 3600rpm at 100kph...)
-Redo the exhaust, because it's pretty ****ty and sounds less than great.
-Possibly Version 3 megasquirt, and if so possibly back to ITBs or maybe setup a factory manifold with staged injection. The single throttle manifold has got juuuussst the right spot for a second set of injectors I reckon Smile

Picture unrelated:

07-05-2014, 03:39 PM
(07-05-2014 02:20 PM)roman Wrote:  Havent done anything particularly noteworthy with my Carina over the last while... apart from drive it!

Have done almost 5,000kms since cert with minimal issues.

I've always been wondering how it would stack up weight wise though.

The benchmark I wanted to match or better for a lot of aspects was my previous car, an SW20 with beams motor. Which was 1030kg with about 1/3rd tank of gas. Put the carina on the weighbridge today, and it was 1040kg with 1/2 a tank.

Pretty happy with that considering I'd put in a heavier engine, gearbox, driveshaft, diff.

It's got MA61 seats at the moment which are quite heavy, and full glass... the glass in the rear hatch is quite heavy, it's why the weight of the coupe is actually heavier than the sedan when standard.

I might rig up one of my spare rear hatches with Lexan for trackday stuff, and without passenger seat it would be under a tonne fo' sho'

Until I hop in it, at least haha.

-The to-do list over the next while is:
-New tires, back to 205s instead of 195. maybe semis cant decide.
-Replaced the only-good-for-skids Cusco 2 way LSD with a Torsen and maybe 4.1 ratio instead of 4.3 (Sucks doing 3600rpm at 100kph...)
-Redo the exhaust, because it's pretty ****ty and sounds less than great.
-Possibly Version 3 megasquirt, and if so possibly back to ITBs or maybe setup a factory manifold with staged injection. The single throttle manifold has got juuuussst the right spot for a second set of injectors I reckon Smile

Picture unrelated:

Which Cusco do you have?

AE86 ex-daily
07-06-2014, 04:17 AM
F series Cusco 2 way, I think it's type MZ?

The non street version.

I think you can change it to a 1.5 way and rearrange the clutch packs to be less grabby if you pull it all apart...

But I think a Torsen would suit my driving style better, and I could fun the whole swap and have change left over from selling the Cusco unit.
10-08-2014, 08:08 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2014 08:10 PM by roman.)
(07-06-2014 04:17 AM)roman Wrote:  F series Cusco 2 way, I think it's type MZ?

The non street version.

I think you can change it to a 1.5 way and rearrange the clutch packs to be less grabby if you pull it all apart...

But I think a Torsen would suit my driving style better, and I could fun the whole swap and have change left over from selling the Cusco unit.

Okay so an update on this... I got sick of the 2 way LSD being like a locked diff, and I found out how to adjust it so I did exactly that. After pulling it apart, thankfully it wasnt the MZ type version, as there's less adjustment range available in those.

I removed some of the preload springs, rearranged the clutch plates, and set it to 1 way instead of 2 way. Not as complicated as I thought but I can post some more info if anyone wants:

The difference? NIGHT AND DAY!

The steering weight is now about half, from this mod alone... And at corner entry/mid corner, I'm no longer fighting the car to make it turn, it just turns awesomely. It now turns like it's got an open diff, yet still does not spin the inside wheel under any circumstances. Perfect!

I just went to another trackday, and in combination with some fresher tires I was about 8 seconds faster than before. A lot of this came down to how much better the car turned.

It's one of those things I guess, just because you buy an aftermarket part doesnt mean it's going to make your car better... just different!

Here's a picture of the car out on the track with my Dad driving:

The Nissan 4 pot brakes just had some normal road going brake pads in, so over the course of a day the brake pads ended up like this:

10-09-2014, 08:46 PM
Nice mod! Smile

12-14-2014, 10:21 PM
Took mine drag racing this Saturday, ran a 14.3 @ 96mph which I was happy with!

That's faster than my MR2 was with same vehicle weight / engine / tires / etc.
12-15-2014, 09:26 PM
Not bad at all! Thumbs up!

Possibly Related Threads...