Starting problem
09-08-2004, 06:08 PM
Starting problem
I would also check the fuel pump relay. It is a relay that has 2 controlling currents. One for continuous operation, and one that is directly operated by turning the inginition to start. Maybe one of the coils went bad. Just pull the relay out and replace it with one from an ae82 hatchback...or any other 80's toyota for that matter...theyre all similar. For the rest: welcome to our forum,...maybe I can get Zax to join this forum, he's from croatia (where there are more ae86's) so he might be able to help you out since there arent many ae86 drivers around that poart of europe.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2004, 08:51 PM
Starting problem
Welcome, welcome! Smile

Nice looking Ae86 there, but as mux said, I'd do something about that rust.

Best Regards,
Widar

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Starting problem]
Find all posts by this user
09-08-2004, 09:22 PM
Starting problem
The relay you're looking for is called the circuit opening relay. It is located on the passenger side kickpanel above the ECU..looks like a fairly big relay in the pic from toyota's catalog cd. I took a screenshot for you but it's a picture of a right hand drive car, so just mirror the image and you should be able to find it.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
09-09-2004, 07:29 AM
Starting problem
Hi, thanks for the answers.

I found the circuit opening relay yesterday, it is under the glove box. But there's another relay there, circular shape, silver colour. What is it for?

And where is efi control relay situated?

About the key turning there is my procedure:
When I turn the key in 1st position the clock comes on, in 2nd position the dash lights come on & under the hood clicks and in 3rd position the car starts.

I've met ZaX on Slovenian car forum, he has made an interesting oil catch can Smile

Andrej
09-09-2004, 10:12 AM
Starting problem
Dreja,

See if you can get ZaX in here and tell us all about his catch can thenSmileSmile

Any luck finding whats broken on your car yet?

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
09-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Starting problem
dreja: I splitted your post into the AE86 : Technical forum.

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
09-09-2004, 11:26 AM
Starting problem
I didn't find the problem yet. Sad

It's very difficult, because it happens randomly. If it would stay broken, it would be easier.

I hope I'll have time during weekend. Any additional suggetstions are welcome.

Andrej
09-10-2004, 02:13 PM
Starting problem
Today I drove to Toyota service, and I asked the mechanic if he has any suggestion. As the car didn't have problems, I didn't insist (he had much more to do) to closely look at my car, he only told me some instructions.

Well, after 15 minutes, I returned, because the car started making problems. First he said, that it was the green connector, which goes to rotor. As I realized later, if I unplug the connector, only the engine light comes on, but the car doesn't die.

But there are another two wires going to the distributor. In my case, someone has lenghtened them and put togheder very bad. He didn't even welded the junctions!

Now I have to make the junctions "more professional" and then I hope, the car will work.

HEre's the photo (bad resolution, phone camera):
http://www.mobisux.com/album/showphoto.php?photo=72192

Andrej
09-10-2004, 02:21 PM
Starting problem
Here ya go...

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
09-11-2004, 05:30 PM
Starting problem
Looks like someone changed the wiring loom to accept the wrong type of distributor. There are 2 versions for the 4age, one with a single yellow connector with 3 wires. The other has 2 green connectors, both have 2 wires. I was told it was possible to adapt the wiring to accept either one of the distributors. Anyway, solder the connection correctly and see if your problem stops.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  lntermittent starting totta Crolla 6 2,913 08-31-2021 06:21 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Starting problems 4-AGE kouki Hanzo 3 2,052 08-31-2021 06:20 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  JDM trueno not starting. need help! kazi 8 7,654 03-12-2017 05:05 PM
Last Post: kazi
  20v Starting Issues mad.matt 10 10,657 09-24-2014 12:44 PM
Last Post: pack