CJ's AE86 project
10-23-2008, 11:38 PM
CJ's AE86 project
ZaX Wrote:Cj, any improvement on the maximum steering angle with this rack?

I haven't really measured it, but it feels like i have gained a little. I'll perform more tests and will let you know about the results.

assassin10000 Wrote:Quaife QSR's don't improve angle. They're the same length as stock ones.

They just improve the responsiveness of the steering as it takes less steering wheel movement vs rack movement.

You are totally correct. I have read that some QSRs have even less angle than stock. But in my case i have additionally custom made 2 more teeths as well as shaved some part of the inner tie rods. This is how i expect to achieve a little more steering angle than stock.

1984 Toyota Corolla 4AGE 20v
2007 Subaru Impreza STi
Find all posts by this user
10-24-2008, 09:56 AM
CJ's AE86 project
cj Wrote:You are totally correct. I have read that some QSRs have even less angle than stock. But in my case i have additionally custom made 2 more teeths as well as shaved some part of the inner tie rods. This is how i expect to achieve a little more steering angle than stock.

Yeah, the first gen QSR had LESS teeth cut than stock. Taka Aono was one of the ones to find that out from what I remember.

2nd gen had the correct amount/matched stock. (I have the one and only 2nd gen with extra teeth cut for stupid extra angle - which will never be usuable as the steering knuckles/tie rods will go over center - I think I can get an extra 30+mm of rack travel Blush )

3rd gen & up supposedly already have an extra tooth or two already so as to take advantage of aftermarket parts that would give more angle (either tie rods or a pair 5mm spacers).

Andrew
10-24-2008, 04:57 PM
CJ's AE86 project
I agree again Smile Here is what i tried to do to the inner tie rods instead of using spacers:

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - CJ's AE86 project]
(not my pic by the way)

2007 Subaru Impreza STi
12-14-2009, 04:18 PM
CJ's AE86 project
A little update:

It's been a while since the last body restoration, so i decided to refresh it again. The guys from the paint workshop asked me if i wanted some pearl or other special effects in the paint, but i refused. I want same simple white color, easy to find, easy to match, easy to paint ... the car is all about driving Wink Evil Smile

I also installed an oil catch can (although not much needed in the 20v, but still good for overall protection). I replaced the stock oil cooler with an aftermarket one, using a filter relocation kit & adding a thermostat:

Earl's Oil Cooler
Earl's Oil Thermostat & Filter Relocation Kit
Earl's fittings & hoses
Oil Catch Can

Today I isntalled one more mod - Battle Version Steering Lock Kit #2:

While installing, i came across 2 issues. First, I couldn't figure out why the stopper's inner diameter is larger than the extension's outer diameter, or in other words, why the stopper should be loose over the extension? Since this question remained unanswered, I decided to have both parts machined as one whole new part. Something like this:

The next issue to solve was achieving proper wheel alignment. In order to do this I had to shorten the outer steering tie rods and also add some new thread. The final setup came out as follows:
toe in/toe out = 0
camber = -2,5
caster = not measured
little rubbing of the both wheels on the inside at full steering lock

In order to avoid the rubbing, I am thinking of adding a little more caster and toe out, and most probably - installing wheels with more negative offset.

Maybe I did something wrong, I don't know, but so far I am not very satisfied with this mod. I don't see any "mad" steering angle achieved. I don't think that steering is restricted because of the wheels contacting the chasis at full lock, since that rubbing is just a slight touch. There must be something else. Maybe it has to do with my previous mods to the inner tie rods and quick steering rack (adding 2 additional teeths). But i still do not see how those mods should restrict the BV#2 to provide more angle.

If i remember correctly BV#2 promotes about 20 additional degrees of steering. In my opinion it's less. Here is a picture after the install and alignment (not the proper shooting angle, but still gives an idea):

Although not measured, the angle before this install wasn't that much different. I have also ordered PS knuckles and hopefully would do some more testing with more significant results.

2007 Subaru Impreza STi
12-15-2009, 12:54 PM
CJ's AE86 project
Be aware that the bv lock kit was designed for the oem steering rack that has a longer teethed area. watch out for this! i made my own bv lock kit for the quaife rack and measured very carefully how much longer the rack could go (without adding more teeth) and it was only 5mm on one side and only 7mm on the other but nothing more, otherwise the pinion would run up to the halfway teethed rack area and prabobly make damage. so i would say 5 and 7mm is safely inside the full teeths and the inner rod ends hit the housing. pretty much the maximum one should use with a standard quaife rack.
in my opinion, making more teeth to the quaife rack is not the way to go, actually you loose the point why you wanted the qsr: 2.5 turn from lock to lock. (though using the 5 and 7mm spacers give you 2.7 turn with standard qsr)
if you want to achieve the highest lock possible, go for an adjustable steering knuckle or at least shorten your original.

"D1 super angle kit" extremely shortened oem knuckles.
btw im on making an adjustable and strong knuckle set if youre interested and can wait for it.

for the tire rubbing problem the easiest way to solve it is making your lca-s longer. for example: swithcing to an s13 lca which is almost direct fit for the 86. for myself, im making an extension for my oem ae86 lca.
ncrca wont do the trick.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-21-2010, 02:20 PM
CJ's AE86 project
Decided not to open a new topic, but just to share the new look of my silver 1986 AE86 - body restoration and new math paint (not so silver anymore Tongue ) The color should have been darker, but I skipped the "choosing" and let the paintshop guys do it for me, since it doesn't matter that much. I also replace all bushings with polyurethane ones. I don't think i have mention details about this winter fun car of mine before, so just to know - it's completely stock, except the adjustable Koni shocks. Last night i took the car for a spin and had a lot of on the heavy snow that's been around for the last couple of days. Smile

2007 Subaru Impreza STi