Poll: Do we have to many sections?
Yeah, damnit, scratch most of them!
Yeah, a few can be lost but its pretty okay
Nah, I like it the way it is just fine
Heck no, I'm missing plenty of sections!
[Show Results]

Is there too many sections here on AEU86.org? (Poll)
10-12-2005, 12:06 PM
jamiemirror Wrote:They are so many if you try to read them all - every day :-)
Just skip most of international sections.
Jamie, the number of sections doesn't matter, its the amount of posting. You still have 100 posts to read whether they are all in 1 section, or deviced in 10 sections.

Atleast when they are devided in 10 sections you can ignore the sections you are not interested in and maybe only end up reading 50 posts... Thats the whole idea that sections are about.

What is wrong however is if there are several sections covering the same topic, then it all gets confusing..

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
10-12-2005, 12:11 PM
mux, I strongly agree with you.
My advice is not criticism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Yeah... There are too many sections, i always browse trough "View active topics of past 24 hours", never trough the real sections... that's hard.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Is there too many sections ...rg? (Poll)]
10-12-2005, 12:19 PM
jamiemirror Wrote:mux, I strongly agree with you.
My advice is not criticism.
Hehe never taken as critism, well maybe as positive critism, no worriesSmile

Just want people to understand that if sections are correctly divided that they should be a + not a - to a forum. If members currently find it difficult navigating through the sections we admins need to listen and conclude that the current layout is not correct.

I am on several mailing lists where all topics come in on one big feed, its nearly impossible to keep track of the messages there.. The thing though is, the experience is different for everyone. I love sections and hate mailing lists like that. But there are plenty of people on that mailing list that hate forums because they see each section as a separate entity and thus feel with 10 sections they need to do 10x as much as with a single section.

In the end, you can't keep everyone happySmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

10-12-2005, 12:20 PM
Widar Wrote:Yeah... There are too many sections, i always browse trough "View active topics of past 24 hours", never trough the real sections... that's hard.
I never use the 24h thingSmile

Does the hiliting of unread threads work correctly for you widar? I find it very handy for keeping track of what I have and what I haven't read..

Nice thought that in our forum, both approaches are possibleSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

10-12-2005, 12:21 PM
The fact that it's usually new faces that see stuff like this is interesting, the people that has been here for a while never think of it untill it's mentioned.

10-12-2005, 12:27 PM
Widar,

it has to do with what you are used to. People who are new come from places that do things differently then us.

This means that they see immidiately what they miss compared to what they came from, but they won't see the benefits in the way we do things here.

We can learn from it because we don't do things perfectly, but at the same time we always need to question why we do something the way we do it in the first place.

Also we have to understand that we are becoming a pretty big forum. When we first started this forum it was easy to keep track of everything, now on some days there are many more posts per day then I can possibly read. That gives an intirely different experience to people. When you come from a smaller forum with less posts, our forum can be very overwelming.

I think me and Banpei never realized when we started this that our forum would grow so fast! It has alot of good sides but also some downsides. Not being able to read everything is one of the downsides..

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

10-12-2005, 12:40 PM
Mux: Yeah, I know what you mean. I just find the fact funny. Smile

Everyday you learn new misstakes. Wink

10-12-2005, 12:54 PM
Guys, it's no big deal. It's all part of evolution. New ideas come up, get tested and then we keep or dump them. We should be thankfull that this forum grows, because that's the only way to get a different perspective of certain things. Imagine if it was still the same 30 guys. We'd get bored eventually :wink:
10-12-2005, 01:22 PM
Okay guys, we've put some stuff together now so let me know what you think of the changes we've made.

We may merge together other things or move things around more, heck maybe we will introduce new sections if the need arises. But the obvious stuff we changed.

Let me know what you think...

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AEU86 shop renewed! banpei 4 1,086 07-10-2023 12:26 PM
Last Post: pack
  Report website problems here! banpei 193 255,292 07-26-2019 11:43 PM
Last Post: banpei
  AEU86 keiring adomz 0 3,197 10-21-2018 06:20 PM