Anyone visited Japan?
05-01-2019, 11:34 PM
Anyone visited Japan?
(05-01-2019 12:46 AM)Power_uP Wrote:  Does anyone here have a list of cool AE86 related stuff? Here's what I was thinking:

-Tsukuba circuit
-Tec-arts and Shapple
-86 festival
-Tokyo auto salon (maybe?)
Carland86 (Kyoto)
Impulse (Kobe)
Tec Art's (Yashio / Saitama)

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Anyone visited Japan?]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2019, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2019 02:34 PM by Power_uP.)
Anyone visited Japan?
Are people allowed to just go and visit places like tec-arts and impulse? I ask because many years ago I worked in a garage that handled tuning for Skylines and Supras etc and we hated people visiting us just for a look around. I can't imagine a foreign tourist being welcome in a busy garage like tec-arts unless I was actually there to get my car serviced.

My plan has been to spend one week in Japan. But the more I learn, the more I think that one month wouldn't be enough to see all the cool stuff.
Find all posts by this user
05-02-2019, 10:34 PM
Anyone visited Japan?
(05-02-2019 02:33 PM)Power_uP Wrote:  Are people allowed to just go and visit places like tec-arts and impulse? I ask because many years ago I worked in a garage that handled tuning for Skylines and Supras etc and we hated people visiting us just for a look around. I can't imagine a foreign tourist being welcome in a busy garage like tec-arts unless I was actually there to get my car serviced.
You obviously have to visit the place as a "customer". Tongue
Many of these companies sell (small) parts and stickers, so the trick is to visit the shop and buy small mementos. Wink

05-06-2019, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2019 06:29 PM by Power_uP.)
Anyone visited Japan?
Great idea Banpei. I wish some of my former "customers" had used as much tact when they hung around all day eyeing up Lancers and Supras in the yard.

I've decided that before I go back to school to learn some 1337 skills (I'm still serious about a career change if it gives me proper money), I'm going to spend time over the summer learning some basic Japanese so that I can at least make an effort when I visit the country. Nothing makes me cringe more than when I see British tourists visiting foreign countries and thinking that English is a universally understood language as long as you shout loud enough. Can someone on here tell me if foreigners from any other nation do it? I've dealt with tourists from all over Europe who come to visit the UK and so far they've all been way more respectful than to simply shout at me in their own language, seems to be a cringey British thing.

I found something else to do when visiting Japan:

I'm sure I would feel very self conscious driving an 86 up the mountain, but it still looks fun. Maybe time my visit to coincide with Tokyo Auto Salon too.
05-12-2019, 09:05 PM
Anyone visited Japan?
Have any of you guys ever heard of 'tourism pollution'? I just found out what it is and I think now I may not visit Japan. I've had an interest in the country and its culture since I was six years old, but I definitely don't want to contribute to a tourism problem in the country.

People can really suck when it comes to tourism. I remember my father telling me that tourists caused a lot of problems in his home town every summer (he's from Yarmouth).

If any of you have ever watched NHK World, then it gives you the impression that tourists are welcome and necessary in the country, but now I can't help but think that foreigners need to stay away from Japan.
05-12-2019, 11:02 PM
Anyone visited Japan?
Just behave and venture off the beaten tourist trap places.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

AE86 ex-daily
05-13-2019, 10:09 PM
Anyone visited Japan?
Tourism pollution? We don't suffer from that anymore in Amsterdam since it has been taken over entirely by tourists... Big Grin
Like Bean says: just behave normal and try to obey local laws and customs. Wink

05-14-2019, 12:24 AM
Anyone visited Japan?
This will make me look like a complete weirdo as it was me who started this thread after all. But I've decided that I won't visit Japan now. Every tourist who goes to Japan is "just one person", and they all think that one more person won't do any harm. The only way I can be part of the solution is to stay at home.

(05-13-2019 10:09 PM)banpei Wrote:  Tourism pollution? We don't suffer from that anymore in Amsterdam since it has been taken over entirely by tourists... Big Grin
Like Bean says: just behave normal and try to obey local laws and customs. Wink

I don't know if the Brits are the tourists causing most of the problems, but whenever I see TV shows that follow Brits around Amsterdam I always get embarrassed by their behaviour. Amsterdam is a place that I decided to stay away from after hearing what some of my colleagues have done while visiting.
05-14-2019, 03:16 PM
Anyone visited Japan?
(05-12-2019 09:05 PM)Power_uP Wrote:  If any of you have ever watched NHK World, then it gives you the impression that tourists are welcome and necessary in the country, but now I can't help but think that foreigners need to stay away from Japan.
When I was in Japan, the experience was great as we travelled outside of main tourist season. Also, go to smaller villages away from the cities and you won't see a single tourist anywhere. It's really easy to get a deep dive in Japanese culture.
05-19-2019, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2019 09:49 PM by Power_uP.)
Anyone visited Japan?
I've been a fan of Marty Friedman for a while (I've never been a huge Megadeth fan though strangely). Anyway, I thought this was pretty good:

Even though Marty Friedman encourages visitors to Japan, I'm still not going. Even before he said it though, I had heard that its the best place to go for musical instruments.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jauce.com service to buy on Yahoo Auction Japan Blaze0010 2 2,536 07-01-2022 02:29 PM
Last Post: Blaze0010
  Does anyone have hookups for shipping engines from Japan? awex 3 5,413 07-21-2009 01:38 PM
Last Post: awex
  Amazing RX7 Meeting in Japan JonnyAE86 15 19,240 08-27-2007 10:01 AM
Last Post: aussiefan
  Visit to Japan Blueneon 15 12,261 05-04-2007 09:34 AM
Last Post: banpei
  Japan "signs", where? BastianAE86 3 4,178 11-05-2005 11:05 PM
Last Post: BastianAE86