Play in power steering rack help
10-24-2012, 09:23 AM
hello,

Been a while since I been on here, got so much done on the car lately all cheap fixes though and hoping this can be another!

My 86 has a powersteering rack with power steering removed, I don't know if it has been done properly but I assume it hasn't due to how it feels (used to be owned by motorFIX Japan who don't exactly look after their cars!). I have about an inch of play towards the passenger side and about 2 inch towards the drivers side when rotating my steering wheel with what feels like a notch about an inch towards the drivers side. I done a little research and I believe I read about there being a bush that wears on the drivers side which would explain why there is more play in one direction.

Basically what I wanted to know is does this sound like the rack hasn't been converted properly? and if so what do I need to do and how hard is it? The cars coming off the road soon for a diff overhaul and some leak fixing on the engine so I am looking to sort it then.

Thanks in advance!
Find all posts by this user
10-24-2012, 11:01 AM
There's a big bushing in the power steering rack that needs filling up when converting to manual rack. If you have a manual rack, check out what they did with it. Techno toy tuning makes adapter bushings for this.
If you have a disconnected PS rack, find yourself a manual rack because it's just plain dangerous to use PS racks without the plumbing for prolonged periods.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Thanks Ivan,

I'm about 99% sure I have a converted PS rack and I know it would of been this way for at least 3 years and over 30,000Km so I'm a bit concerned now!

Is the T3 adapter bush hard to fit? I'm tempted to do this for a few months whilst I save for a new recon manual rack
10-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Yes it's hard to fit.. you need to loosen the entire rack to get the top half in. Bear in mind that I only tried this on a CA18 Swapped ae86, where it was completely impossible without lifting the engine out a bit. It should be easier with the regular 4age in there.

Note: if you still have the PS rack, then you cant fit the T3 bushing. It's made specifically for mounting a manual rack in the bigger PS bracket.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-25-2012, 12:01 PM
You don't need a T3 bushing except to use PS brackets for a manual rack, and that isn't your problem.
It could be the preload adjustment for the pinion gear contacting the rack gear, that'll take out all the freeplay, but any feel of a 'notch' in the movement means its gears/teeth are coming apart and that it's time to throw it away unless they can be welded up & machined.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power steering clunk Jezza_hr 12 13,466 09-24-2021 01:42 PM
Last Post: pack
  Play between steering column and intermediate shaft after manual rack sonversion DaLanZhu 5 5,699 07-31-2019 11:28 AM
Last Post: mad.matt
  Quaife quick rack totta Crolla 19 18,955 03-03-2018 03:32 PM
Last Post: Deuce Cam
  Driveshaft free play thanos 6 8,730 02-25-2015 02:10 AM
Last Post: thanos
  Why Manual Steering Rack ?? Power Steering Removal juantonwan 26 39,914 10-02-2014 06:07 PM
Last Post: mad.matt