AE86, What does the Original Wheels look like?
01-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Hi all.

I'm new to this forum.

Keen on a car down here in NZ

Don't know much these wheels, but the seller is very nice dude and he says it's so original.

How many original types of the wheels there?

Also, What LSD does the Tureno GTV have?

Thank you

Andy.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-17-2011, 10:28 PM
It depends on the year, country and model range.
I think, apart from the steelies, there were at least 6 or 7 different wheels mounted on the hachi from stock.
To name a few:
- Pizzacutters (first design, like the one in your picture)
- Pizzacutters (second design, more square)
- Snowflakes (Black limited and USDM)
- Atiwe telephone rims (Benelux, Austria and Germany)
- Intra small spoke wheels (EU)

LSD was the same on all models: a 1.5 way LSD locking at about 45%. The LSD model differs between zenki and kouki cars because the axle halfshafts are different in diameter.

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86, What does the Origina...look like?]
01-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Hey

Thanks Panpei

The Trueno 86 hatch GTV is New Zealand New.

Not sure it's first or second Generation tho.

It doesn't have power steering, nor electrical windows.

I heard GTV is the highest Spec correct?

also, what does 1.5 LSD mean? compare to the two way LSD?

I will do some weekend trackdays maybe, Is 1.5 LSD good enough?
01-18-2011, 09:42 AM
The GTV was never sold New Zealand New, in fact the Trueno in any Spec was never sold NZ New. The only version available NZ New was the Corolla GT.

GTV is the more basic version, usually having less options than the GT Apex.
Most accurate way to tell them apart is the Model code which is stamped on the Vehicle ID plate in the engine bay, Trueno GTV will be AE86-FCMQF.

Are you looking at the white one that has recently been on Trademe?
Find all posts by this user
01-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Not on trademe.

Well according to car jam, It is Trueno, but it doesn't say any specs. Also according to Car Jam again, It is NZ New.
01-19-2011, 02:14 PM
That seems very strange, even if it was a very early Private Import it would still be classed as a Japanese new vehicle. Got a link to any more info or pics? Even if you could send me the rego number through private message
Find all posts by this user
01-19-2011, 09:46 PM
andyling Wrote:I heard GTV is the highest Spec correct?
Depends on how you see it: GT (2 door) and GTV (3 door) models were targeted in Japan as the no-nonsense performance spec while the GT Apex spec was targeted as the grand tourer (hence aircon, powersteering and such options)

andyling Wrote:also, what does 1.5 LSD mean? compare to the two way LSD?

Wikipedia Wrote:If there is no additional coupling on over run, the LSD is 1 way. This is a safer LSD: as soon as the driver lifts the throttle, the LSD unlocks and behaves somewhat like a conventional open differential. This is also the best for FWD cars, as it allows the car to turn in on throttle release, instead of plowing forward.[2]
If the LSD increases coupling in the same way regardless of whether the input torque is forward or reverse, it is a 2 way differential. Some drifters prefer this type as the LSD behaves the same regardless of their erratic throttle input, and lets them keep the wheels spinning all the way through a corner. An inexperienced driver can easily spin the car when using a 2 way LSD if they lift the throttle suddenly, expecting the car to settle like a conventional open differential.
If the LSD behaves somewhere in between these two extremes, it is a 1.5 way differential, which is a compromise between sportiness and safety.
In other words: for most track drivers it should be more than sufficient. Wink

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86, What does the Origina...look like?]
01-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Rob_GTZ

Hey bro, I was in chch as well few month ago, but now in akl.

The car I'm looking at ,was produced in 1984, and sold in March 1985.

Anyway,I Don't really care about the origins. I just want to be a hardcore ae86!

End of 2009/early 2010, there was a 4agze turbo,2 way lsd tureno hatch in ChCh, from trademe, was a steal(10.5K). 220kw ATW! The test drive was a blast!
01-20-2011, 10:57 AM
banpei Wrote:
andyling Wrote:I heard GTV is the highest Spec correct?
Depends on how you see it: GT (2 door) and GTV (3 door) models were targeted in Japan as the no-nonsense performance spec while the GT Apex spec was targeted as the grand tourer (hence aircon, powersteering and such options)

andyling Wrote:also, what does 1.5 LSD mean? compare to the two way LSD?

Wikipedia Wrote:If there is no additional coupling on over run, the LSD is 1 way. This is a safer LSD: as soon as the driver lifts the throttle, the LSD unlocks and behaves somewhat like a conventional open differential. This is also the best for FWD cars, as it allows the car to turn in on throttle release, instead of plowing forward.[2]
If the LSD increases coupling in the same way regardless of whether the input torque is forward or reverse, it is a 2 way differential. Some drifters prefer this type as the LSD behaves the same regardless of their erratic throttle input, and lets them keep the wheels spinning all the way through a corner. An inexperienced driver can easily spin the car when using a 2 way LSD if they lift the throttle suddenly, expecting the car to settle like a conventional open differential.
If the LSD behaves somewhere in between these two extremes, it is a 1.5 way differential, which is a compromise between sportiness and safety.
In other words: for most track drivers it should be more than sufficient. Wink

Hey Banpei, Yeh, That's what I heard the GTV is the superleggera verison of AE86 LOL. Which IS what I'm really after!

I ain't a track day guy in anyway, but yeh I will pop up to the tracks sometime...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Rota Designs. What would you like? nmwisima 10 13,919 11-11-2013 03:03 PM
Last Post: nmwisima
  Need your help,looking for a rallcar thats looks like this ditn 17 19,332 04-11-2013 07:13 PM
Last Post: ditn
  I would like to puchase AE86- help RUSTY88 9 8,073 01-08-2013 09:40 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Does anyone here distribute for J blood? hachirokuGTV 5 5,322 03-18-2008 09:25 PM
Last Post: Conrad
  Original Toyota Colour? AshCampbell 7 10,533 08-02-2007 08:57 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy