pic request -> AE86 with deep dish SSR Dori Dori
09-03-2010, 08:16 AM
I'm still kind of amazed that everyone can fit those biggy wheels without rubbing anything on the front. I have 15x7+5 and 14x7-9 rim sets, respectively 195-50-15 and 185-60-14 tires. Both are rubbing the inner chassis at several points. Probably a result of the NRCA's, guess its time to give those a kick towards the rubbish bin.

@Apolan.. in *theory* changing the track width of the car at any one end is one of the bigger tuning options a suspension designer has. It directly influences the amount of weight transfer an axle sees (reduces it when widening). In practice it is difficult to notice it if you are not actually riding the limit on a circuit or something. Actually, on the street it is bloody near impossible to notice anything much..thats why you see springrates all over the place, shocks that differ more then 20% per corner etc etc.
So don't worry Smile All will be fine and the lady will look better.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
Find all posts by this user
09-03-2010, 08:43 AM
NoHachi Wrote:Probably a result of the NRCA's
NRCA change the pivot axle.
It's like you have 25mm more dish. (so for your wheels : 15x7 -20 and 14x7 -34 Tongue )
09-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Yeah, but most people are running them none-the-less AND stuffing huge rims under hachi's.
I understand that NRCA's look good on a list of mods, but aren't these people turning the steering wheel at all? Its not like the tires only rub on body seams. They rub EVERYWHERE.
How is everyone doing that? BFH?

Anyone else noticing a noticeable increase in steering effort with low-offset rims? Or an increase in bumpsteer and steering wheel kickback? With a small 320mm steering wheel, a bump will literally rip the steering wheel out of my hands (I am a big guy with big manly hands LOL Smile muscle power is not the issue). With a larger diameter steering wheel the effect is less but still noticeable.

I'll swap the NRCA's out for RCA's this weekend and report back.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
09-03-2010, 11:22 AM
hey djexor, thanks for the info. That's very useful to me Big Grin

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - pic request -> AE86 ... Dori Dori]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-05-2010, 12:42 AM
[Walaki]D`Lair Wrote:
Petros AE86 Wrote:i have 15x7.5 +4 if you want..

how much? Tongue Tongue
not for sale mate!searching for 2 wider by the way!

09-05-2010, 12:48 PM
@NoHachi:

You're right about some rubbing problems. Especially when the car is lowered a lot. I was driving 15x7.5 -8 at the front before I got the car from the road. With the Tokico HTS shortstrokes installed the tire was rubbing the inside wheelarch at full lock, just a little bit. The outside arches where not really a problem. I think this problem can be taken away by buying some aftermarket tension rods and give the car a bit different caster. The funny fact was that the 15x8 -2 where not rubbing the inside. Possible cause that the tyres on the wheels were same size and stretched a bit more because of the 0,5 inch extra body.
Bumpsteer was not a problem with the T3 RCA's mounted. The effort to turn the wheel is becoming more indeed when you mount the bigger wheels, but while driving the car it's not really a problem, more when parking a car somewhere. Good for the biceps Smile
I still would like to put a 8.5 -8 at the front. Maybe I will have more tirerub, but because its a wider wheel the tires will be more streched. I can't judge about it before trying of course. Hope to tell you soon! Smile

5/2018 BMW F22 Coupe
1/1985 Toyota AE86 Levin Coupe

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2nd Annual OSTC Classic Import Car Show pic tomstwincam 1 3,931 09-06-2012 11:45 PM
Last Post: tomstwincam
  How much you recon this rare set SSR CASABLANCA rims worth? FT86 10 13,806 04-29-2011 02:05 PM
Last Post: FT86
  Pic request grey levins!! bones 4 8,920 11-19-2010 08:35 PM
Last Post: Roger
  Need pic of AE86 advert with horses flying out of bonnet NZDMAE86 8 8,090 05-19-2010 12:35 PM
Last Post: NZDMAE86
  pic request: extra lock with power steering knuckles aussiefan 1 3,267 07-26-2009 02:02 PM
Last Post: aussiefan