Why Manual Steering Rack ?? Power Steering Removal
04-29-2010, 08:10 PM
I removed the power steering pump from my Corolla years ago and also removed the lines near the universal joint, but left the lines running to the other side of the rack. - It is a daily and I only drift for fun and drive on windy roads. The steering feels really good.

I was just curious what he benefit was of a manual rack vs a power rack with the pump off?
Find all posts by this user
04-29-2010, 10:05 PM
The benefit is that you will be using a system that was designed to handle the stress you put on it.
When you eliminate the power steering assistance, you are relying on parts such as torsion bars (see link at bottom of my message) to take all the force.
These can and will fail eventually.. if this happens while your driving, you're fucked.

I dont know what the AE86 uses in it's rack, but most cars use the same system, so I wouldnt recommend this mod.

Besides, what's wrong with power steering for a daily?

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=892105&page=2

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Ivan141 Wrote:The benefit is that you will be using a system that was designed to handle the stress you put on it.
When you eliminate the power steering assistance, you are relying on parts such as torsion bars (see link at bottom of my message) to take all the force.
These can and will fail eventually.. if this happens while your driving, you're fucked.

I dont know what the AE86 uses in it's rack, but most cars use the same system, so I wouldnt recommend this mod.

Besides, what's wrong with power steering for a daily?

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=892105&page=2

Thanks for the reply. I hate the feel of power steering.

I have had the power steering pump off for about 7 years. The steering rack feels fine though, but I guess I better examine it closing or just look at getting a rebuilt rack to swap in. I would not want this to fail while driving.

If I didn't want to buy a rebuilt rack, are there any good tutorials on how I can rebuild mine and take off some stress since the pump is gone?
04-29-2010, 11:21 PM
There are some tips for welding the in and output shafts of the power rack on the rx7 forum link. Never seen anyone do it to an 86 though. I believe me and my bro also have a de-powered PS rack in our trueno, steering feels less bendy then my mom's mx5 when the pump failed on it, but still I don't like the idea of there being a bit of steel that wasn't meant to take this type of stress.

Manual racks are not very hard to find luckily (AW11 one fits).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
04-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Ivan141 Wrote:There are some tips for welding the in and output shafts of the power rack on the rx7 forum link. Never seen anyone do it to an 86 though. I believe me and my bro also have a de-powered PS rack in our trueno, steering feels less bendy then my mom's mx5 when the pump failed on it, but still I don't like the idea of there being a bit of steel that wasn't meant to take this type of stress.

Okay, cool. - So does the AW11 swap right in? Do you need different tierod ends or to do any other mods?

Any other manual racks that will work. Thanks!!
04-30-2010, 04:31 AM
Ivan141 Wrote:There are some tips for welding the in and output shafts of the power rack on the rx7 forum link. Never seen anyone do it to an 86 though. I believe me and my bro also have a de-powered PS rack in our trueno, steering feels less bendy then my mom's mx5 when the pump failed on it, but still I don't like the idea of there being a bit of steel that wasn't meant to take this type of stress.

I have someone that is giving me an AW11 MR2. I am not sure if it is a manual rack or if they are all manual.

But if it is manual, will it be able to swap in? - I read some where that I might need an MK3 supra intermediate shaft and a u-joint from a mid-90s Tercel. Is that correct?
04-30-2010, 11:05 AM
I've just fitted a Vauxhaul Corsa C steeringcolumn with an electric servo motor, together with a manual rack.
I have not tryed it yet, but I think it will perform perfectly. I can adjust the steering assist on a button, from full assist to non at all.
But I must say, is not a direct fit on a LHD car.

Project AE86 now begun.

Cars I have owned:
Toyota Starlet EP91 1,3 16v Turbo, 200hp
Toyota Starlet EP71 1,3 12v Sport
Mercedes 207D camper, 1977.
Toyota Starlet EP70 with a 174hp Silvertop 20v See video here:
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/Star...079edc.htm
Toyota Corolla AE101 with a 164hp Silvertop 20v. (Evolution bodykit and candycolor paint).
Volvo 240 2,1 (The only car I have maked money on).
Toyota Corolla EE90 (my first car)
04-30-2010, 11:46 AM
The AW11 rack is supposedly identical to the AE86 piece (same part). You could still run into some issues with the steering column length though, I'm not sure they are the same between PS and non-PS cars. One way to find out: measure the difference.

Electrical assist sounds great, and if someone makes a mount kit that allows me to put it under the original AE86 steering column covers for a reasonable amount, I am very interested (hint hint).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
04-30-2010, 12:47 PM
Ivan141 Wrote:The AW11 rack is supposedly identical to the AE86 piece (same part). You could still run into some issues with the steering column length though, I'm not sure they are the same between PS and non-PS cars. One way to find out: measure the difference.

Electrical assist sounds great, and if someone makes a mount kit that allows me to put it under the original AE86 steering column covers for a reasonable amount, I am very interested (hint hint).

AW11 rack fits, use PS tie rods if you still have them. The steering column is the wrong length, need the manual shaft, from KE70 or AE85/6 or etc. If using the PS cross member youll need the thicker mount bushes from T3 or where ever...
04-30-2010, 02:11 PM
So the steering rack from the aw11 is a perfect replacement in a non ps ae86 and fits with no modifications ?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4AGE cylinder head plug removal Ivan141 5 1,070 09-30-2023 09:47 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  20 Valve Blacktop smoking after engine flush - why? RolanTHUNDER 2 817 11-30-2022 12:09 PM
Last Post: RolanTHUNDER
  Sill removal totta Crolla 3 1,296 09-14-2022 06:30 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Wanted: 3-rib engine repair manual Ivan141 6 1,773 09-09-2022 07:46 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Power steering clunk Jezza_hr 12 13,470 09-24-2021 01:42 PM
Last Post: pack