what pads and tyres to go for
02-14-2017, 09:11 PM
Hi all.

Im heading over to the Nurbergring in July this year and after some options on what the best brake pads are to use and best tyres to go for.

I know the general consensus is go for the best that you can afford but i want to see what people have used.

so far for the 86 I've come across ferodo DS2500 or the Mintex M1144/M1155

as for rubber.... i have no idea. I have used Toyo in the past on my GT4 celica and where great in the dry... shocking in wet.

I will be driving the car from Inverness in Scotland to the ring which is 980 mile driving one way (1570KM) so needs to be good on the road also.
Find all posts by this user
02-14-2017, 10:21 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2017 11:03 PM by d3nso.)
Tyres you could try Yokohama AD08R, very good when dry, still very drivable in the rain (much better than Toyo). Have them on my Civic and find them the best for a fast track/street car.
Pads and disk are the key factor on the ring, last time I went there with my civic I toasted my Zimmermann disks and brembo pads after 4 fast Laps...
I would go with the DS2500 and some good quality rotors like ATE or Brembo as they are heat threatet for adittional strength.

Daily Beater: Civic EG5
Work in progress Car: AE86
02-14-2017, 10:27 PM
(02-14-2017 10:21 PM)d3nso Wrote:  Tyres you could try Yokohama AD08R, very good when dry, still very drivable in the rain (much better than Toyo). Have them on my Civic and find them the best for a fast track/street car.
Pads and disk are the key factor on the ring, last time I went there with my civic I toasted my Zimmermann disks and brembo pads after 4 fast Laps...
I would go with the DS2500 and some good quaity rotors like ATE or Brembo as they are heat threatet for adittional strength.

discs I'm going with are Brembo vented discs (not drilled or grooved).

will have a look at the Yokos as I've not had any experience with them
02-14-2017, 11:06 PM
(02-14-2017 09:11 PM)kazi Wrote:  Hi all.

Im heading over to the Nurbergring in July this year and after some options on what the best brake pads are to use and best tyres to go for.

I know the general consensus is go for the best that you can afford but i want to see what people have used.

so far for the 86 I've come across ferodo DS2500 or the Mintex M1144/M1155

as for rubber.... i have no idea. I have used Toyo in the past on my GT4 celica and where great in the dry... shocking in wet.

I will be driving the car from Inverness in Scotland to the ring which is 980 mile driving one way (1570KM) so needs to be good on the road also.
What size of rubber do you need? For my 185/60 R14 I've looked around for some nice rubber but the only things I could find that isn't "economy" stuff was Toyo R888 and Nankang NS2. I have the latter and it's a great tyre, works well in rain as well (was raining all the way from Bremerhaven to Switzerland).
I'll take a note of the brake pads, going to replace mine eventually as well as the discs.
02-15-2017, 01:17 PM
This is actually quite easy.

Some ProjectMu HC800 pads
As for rubber i would go for some 195x50x15 Advan's AD08R best tyre for the "all around purpose", only for the tracks nothing beats Toyo....

For rotors, Dixcel has some quality products that go cheap.....

I'm actually representing PMU and DIxcel in Portugal and i know for sure the quality of the Dixcel and PMU parts....
02-15-2017, 03:23 PM
Only thing with PMU pads is they are bloody expensive in the uk conspired to other brands. How much can you get them for?
02-15-2017, 04:24 PM
I have project mu pads and brembo discs on my car. Not tracked just daily driven but a massive difference compared to the stock setup.

Only downside like you said is price.

ハチロク

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - what pads and tyres to go for]
02-15-2017, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2017 04:28 PM by Bean.)
From my own experience I did just fine with OEM rotors and PMU B-Spec pads. The Nürburgring isn't that taxing on the brakes on a stockish powered AE86. If your brakes are in good condition you can easily do 2-3 consecutive laps which is close to 30min of full concentration with average traffic on track.

PS: that was on Federeal 595 RSRs. Mind you I only had a 2h drive to the track.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-16-2017, 03:39 PM
PMU pads are on sale at the moment on RHDjapan for around £60-110 which is not bad but then have postage and import tax on top. Tough choice.
02-16-2017, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2017 04:29 PM by pack.)
kazi contact Hendy Performance in the UK. They are the UK/Euro distributors for PMU!

If they don't have in stock i can get you F and R pads. HC800 F and Dixcel EStype Rear (my favorite)

Regards