valve tick on cylender two intake
12-04-2014, 11:20 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 11:21 PM by oldeskewltoy.)
I've re-used valve springs too... they don't tick.

if I may... who is he on C4AG??

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
Find all posts by this user
12-05-2014, 12:45 AM
I'll ask him what his user name is when I go pick up the shell today
12-08-2014, 12:20 AM
I assume to really check what is going on I will need to take the head off the block yah? Before its off should I try and turn the crank to see if I have lost any compression?

Thanks,
Dinkers
12-08-2014, 01:23 AM
Assume away.
Really, you don't seem to know anything - anything about what the seller is unloading on you and anything about an engine, so any answer of any kind is a waste of my time, sorry.
Good luck.

So what!
12-08-2014, 02:44 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 02:45 AM by dinkers542.)
No I dont know much about engines at all. This will be my first takedown of a complete engine. And all I know about the engine are thing I took the sellers word on so I could be shit out of luck on this head for all I know. Downloaded the manuals and I will start there so maybe I will learn a few things before I start asking questions.

Thanks,
Dinkers
12-08-2014, 08:30 AM
(12-08-2014 01:23 AM)allencr Wrote:  Assume away.
Really, you don't seem to know anything - anything about what the seller is unloading on you and anything about an engine, so any answer of any kind is a waste of my time, sorry.
Good luck.
not very helpful today are you - anyway...

First of all you don't need to remove the whole head right now, to check valve clearance you only need to remove the valve covers.

You'll need a 10mm socket to undo the valve covers, be gentle removing it not to damage the seal.
Then you'll be almost ready for meassuring. You'd want to have a tool (adjustable wrench or right size) at hand to be able to turn the camshaft and a set of feeler gauges to do the measurements. Use the manual (best print out the corresponding pages on the procedure) to double check what you are doing. Don't use force trying to slide in the feelers or your meassurments are going to be off. Primarily the clearances should be in range of what oldeskewltoy posted, idealy they should be as close to each other as possible but no need to go ape if you're inside the tolerances. There are some experienced people in your neck of the wood, so try to find one and supervise you at the least.

Best of luck and happy learning

Bean

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Finally a good post!
Some people should come down of their high horse... I say most of us started with just a few skills. No need to look down on people with less technical brackground.
Beans post explained the clearance work great. Keep it up if you got any questions just ask them Smile
Learning by doing is the way to go.

Daily Beater: Civic EG5
Work in progress Car: AE86
12-08-2014, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 01:07 PM by totta Crolla.)
Checking valve clearances is basic engine tech. I wrongly assumed that you knew how to do it and my assumption was based on your first post that stated you had worked on bottom ends before.
There are many professional garages out there that can do this work for you and that is where I suggest you go.
Sorry if that is not helpful to you but I'm now in allencr's camp I'm afraid.

An analogue brain in a digital World
12-08-2014, 04:19 PM
Best thing to do is to refer to the workshop manual we have kindly been providing on the
main site free of charge, then answer questions that may remain, which should then be a lot more educated (although the toyota manual is pretty thorough in my opinion).

Getting help is a 2-way street..first educate yourself with readily available means, then fire away with any questions that may remain. Works the same on any car forum.. a bit of RTFM spares you heaps of negativity.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-09-2014, 11:01 AM
I am reading through the 4age manual page by page right now and will go through the wiring diagrams next. After I get a bit more aquainted with the engine and chassis ill start posting again. I appreciate the help up until this point, I learned a lot in and because of this thread. Didnt mean to ask everyone to hold my hand. When I return maybe ill be able to answer someone elses questions!

Thanks,
Frank

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4AGE Valve Buckets Scored Steller Engineering 2 451 10-06-2023 05:34 PM
Last Post: Steller Engineering
  20 Valve Blacktop smoking after engine flush - why? RolanTHUNDER 2 818 11-30-2022 12:09 PM
Last Post: RolanTHUNDER
  HKS valve springs totta Crolla 3 1,577 05-25-2022 10:24 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  AE86 4age engine not starts crank ok backfires to air intake Ryo 18 15,080 08-16-2018 01:36 AM
Last Post: Bean
  Valve clearance leon205gti 7 7,915 11-25-2016 03:24 AM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy