thinking about an aeu 86.
03-09-2010, 05:29 AM
i have been toying with the concept of getting a rwd car to play with for a while now. before i settle on a corolla i have some questions. my first attempt at a rwd was a 1984 mazda rx-7. it was a fun car while it lasted but when i found out that i could not get spark plugs for it at any of the local auto parts stores it lost its fun, especially after it broke down. i am in the process of trying to get it going so i can sell it.
i know that it is probable blasphemy to relate the to cars to each other but the last and only toyota that i worked on was a 93 camery and it placed a near second to a 02 dodge stratus as the car that i hate the most to work on. before i spend money on another project i have to know if it is going to be a pain to work on. for instance, how much can the efi and vacuum system be simplified and still be street legal and how hard is it. as cars go for someone who is not a big fan of complicated wiring is this car going to be a pain? basically i have to know if this is a car that i can enjoy working on or is it going to piss me off? thanks for your time and help.
Find all posts by this user
03-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Hi there,

First things first, it's an AE86, not an aeu86, the latter has more to do with our forum starting out as the european (EU) ae86 community.

If you take a look at some enginebay pics you should notice it is not a complicated bit of machinery, and there is lots of room to work. Which is a definite plus. It is however an EFI engine in the true sense of the word, so you'll need some electronic wits about you if you intend to modify things.
A MAP sensored engine would be easiest for this purpose, but stateside your likely to only find AFM sensored versions. Those usually also come with additional emissions crap, but most of that is not electric.

About the RX7: I enjoy the old bit of blaspheming, so why not slap a V8 or whatever engine you like working on in there and have a great fun RWD car?

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Getting parts for the AE86 may be tricky as well. Although having a community of people to help you out is great, I guess its tougher to get junk for a rotary engine than a piston engine mind you Smile The plugs should be pretty standard on the 86, but I think owning an 86 is quite a labour of love as well, still a RX-7! I'd love one of those. I'd really look into finding a way to work with it, rather than swapping one enthusiasts car for another.
03-09-2010, 03:52 PM
sorry about the aeu thing. good to be a newb. i have thought about the v8 thing. i have heard that i would not gain all that much weight with a ford 5.0. my problem with that is that i would then want to upgrade the rear end to something much heavier because i think that i would trash the stock one. the other thing that i noticed about the car after the fun wore of was that everything that i knew was about piston engines and i was at a total loss under the hood of the rx-7. even if i was going to stay rotary it would need a new engine because the one that it has claims to have 175000+ miles on it. it was the first car that i got and i had hoped to turn it in to a rally car. that was over when i realized that i would have to get a new engine, and that it would be a pain to rebuild the one that i had if i wanted to. i guess i didnt do my research and got in way over my head.
any way, my logic with a ae86 is that it has pistons which is a step towards something that i might under stand a little better. my one last problem with the rx-7 is that that gen car had the worst steering box ever so i would have to put in a rack and pinion form a mustang. any way, i realize that any car like this is going to be a bit of a pain but in general it wont be worse than a commuter car was a few years later. thanks and any more advice would be great.
03-09-2010, 06:27 PM
the ae86 suck hard as a car mate if you want a car to play with get a S13 or s14 ou S14A or s15. bmw 325i its great ride to

I'm so JDM I put everything sideways.
AE86 owner
03-09-2010, 06:53 PM
is that really a sensible thing to put down in an AE86 forum Evil

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - thinking about an aeu 86.]
03-09-2010, 08:58 PM
yes its the true! you must spend over 20.000€ and its still crappy Tongue

AE86 owner
03-09-2010, 10:21 PM
fwiw have a look out for a experineced rotary engine builder... if the engine didn't shat it's internalls completly a proper rebuild will be rather cheap compared to piston engine... but mind you this is only true when the casings are still ok - best case is it only needs new apex and other seals.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2010, 02:57 AM
from what i have seen it is pretty rough to rebuild a rotary. maybe i should look a little more. my other problem with the rx-7 is that it gets piss poor gas mileage, and even worse after you do any thing to it. it gets about 20 mpg. my scirocco 16 valve has gotten as good as 38 on the high way and it would stomp the rx-7 any day. that is the other problem with putting a v8 in it. i drive my rocco every day and i used to drive the rx-7 too. with gas prices where they are an rx-7 getting 10 mpg would be really impractical. the last nissan that i worked on was my moms sentra se-r. it has decent power but for me the handling is really vague and it has way to much power steering. the other thing is that we never got a good engine in a any of the cars you mentioned. i have thought about a bmw. i have always liked the 325is e30. which one would you recommend? thanks
03-10-2010, 03:58 AM
325is E30 its a great ride

AE86 owner

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thinking of buying a better 86 am i mad ?? adamsaiyad 11 13,274 04-08-2014 11:06 PM
Last Post: adamsaiyad
  thinking of buying one suprafastcelica98 3 4,379 08-18-2009 09:44 PM
Last Post: banpei
  First Post, thinking about this car run115 3 4,459 01-30-2009 11:26 PM
Last Post: run115
  Thinking of selling my AE86 Michel 5 5,284 03-11-2005 04:24 PM
Last Post: Michel