where to place thermoswitch electric fan
09-18-2010, 11:40 PM
There is allready an electric fan mounted on my 4agze. This is operated by a hand switch on the dashboard. I would like to make it go and stop accoording to watertemperature to warm up de engine as quick as possible. What would be a good spot to mount/instal such a termoswitch? Any pictures maybe?

Step to is about wiring, maybe it would be nice to keep the possibilty of the handswitch (tranckday?)
Find all posts by this user
09-19-2010, 12:30 AM
Use an AE92 thermostat housing instead of the ae86 one and put a thermoswitch in it.... easiest way afaik.

Wire the thermoswitch and manual override switch in parallel and let them actuate a relay that will switch the actual power to the fan.... presto.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-19-2010, 01:35 PM
I am not around my car to check it out but I was just thinking, maybe my GZE waterpump is the same as AE92?? Dumb question
09-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Your waterpump is most likely the ae86 one. The AE92 has a remote thermostat housing, but you can fit the neck in place of the original ae86 article. I have one myself, but I'm holding on to it. Only piece of advice I can give you: make damn sure the thermoswitch/sensor whatever is locked securely in place with some loctite or teflon tape. Mine shook out one day on the freeway, dumping all my coolant out in a matter of seconds Confused
Should never have taken it out just to have a look.
Just figure out which thread you need for the thermoswitch and go to a scrapyard.. lots of cars have thermoswitches. Or just go to ebay.de (our german neighbours have a good thing going as far as car parts are concerned), and find yourself something that will fit.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
09-19-2010, 04:09 PM
If you have GZE there should be a fan switch in the remote mounted thermostat housing if you have one. AE86 water pump won't fit because of the supercharger.
I believe this picture originated from Lee Kun : http://www.clkmotorsport.com/index.htm

You can see the fan switch just above the lower rubber hose on the thermostat housing

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - where to place thermoswitch electric fan]
09-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Ahh, now I see what you meant with the GZE having a remote thermostat..In that case, you're lucky!

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  electric water pump?? Uzelac 8 11,833 04-09-2012 05:20 PM
Last Post: Jimmi The Kid
  Electric Power Steering - What options are available Rasteirinho 15 23,710 02-29-2012 07:10 PM
  Electric steering column, need help please! Jimmi The Kid 12 19,740 02-29-2012 07:04 PM
  Electric Power Steering Pump Jezza_hr 5 10,385 09-02-2011 09:25 AM
Last Post: Lauren
  Electric Fan Rasteirinho 3 4,742 08-17-2011 03:27 AM
Last Post: bozu