swap ideas
04-27-2010, 03:09 AM
swap ideas
Ive always loved AE86s but Ive never known much about them but now my dad is looking to buy me one and im not sure what engine i would like to put in it because im not keeping the stock one.i was thinking along the lines of an sr20 or something i can drop some nice turbos in and has good after market support but any suggestions are welcome.
Find all posts by this user
04-27-2010, 08:57 AM
swap ideas
Good lord.. If you use some punctuation marks in your texts it would make them easier to read. We're not native speakers here so sometimes it hard enough to understand each other. (don't take offence, just a suggestion).

SR20DET is tried and tested. Take a look in project threads by Zax or Jasper for an impression of what its like.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
04-27-2010, 09:00 AM
swap ideas
welcome to the forum
to answer your question it depends a bit on what you want to do with your car
(Street, drifting, racing, show & shine ,......) put a turbo kit on your stock block?
Or you-can swap a 4agze, ca18det, SR20, rb26dett, 2jzgte, fd3s .....
Dépense how deep it is our money pit i think ..

daily driver avensis 2.0 d4d and Yaris 1.0
weekend driver 1985 AE86
04-28-2010, 02:07 AM
swap ideas
im looking to make drift car, well a beginners drift car
04-28-2010, 03:11 AM
swap ideas
If it's a beginners drift car then why change from the 16V? They are virtually bullet proof and will take a load of crap. Also if you happen to blow it up, they aren't exactly rocking horse poo to find. Your primary objective should be to set up the suspension as best as possible first as that's the more key area to make sure it works out for you.

Then later on, once you have a little more experience you could look at a Turbo or 20V as a swap for something that will maintain similar characteristics to the 16V, Either way, make sure everything else is best suited for the power before jumping in at the engine end.
04-28-2010, 09:22 AM
swap ideas
from my pov i'd start with that:

- Springs & Dampers (TRD blue)
- Tires
- Steeringwheel & bucketseat & 4 point harness
- 2way diff

That's how I did it.
And that's it. Learn to handle 120hp, learn to mess around with not having enought, THEN get more.
04-28-2010, 01:04 PM
swap ideas
MartinS Wrote:from my pov i'd start with that:

- Springs & Dampers (TRD blue)
- Tires
- Steeringwheel & bucketseat & 4 point harness
- 2way diff

That's how I did it.
And that's it. Learn to handle 120hp, learn to mess around with not having enought, THEN get more.

I totally agree with that. Tho I still use orginal LSD.

When speaking of drifting I think starting with a low hp car, its easier to learn the basics, than on a higher hp car. I wouldn't swap the engine, but if you really want a forced induction engine, get a 4agze and either keep it like that or change the supercharger to a turbo.

Trueno Sprinter Zenki AE86 -83 http://www.driftarmy.fi/
04-28-2010, 01:53 PM
swap ideas
unless and even if you have ten thousands to spend - stay with the stockish engine and put your money into handling and SEATTIME - restoring the car to good health cost enough already in most cases and if drift is what you want the go drifting and don't spend it on an engine you wont need in the beginning. as a beginner you can spend loads of time (2-3 seasons) without maxing out the cars abillities if you did some proper handling changes

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-29-2010, 01:27 AM
swap ideas
well right now im looking at this 1984 which has a GTS in it with R1 bike carbs. the only thing wrong with it is the guy cut the springs Undecided so ill probably take the advice of spending my money on suspension .any opinions as to where i should get my springs and such from?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LEGO Ideas - lets make this happen Mux213 7 58,562 04-23-2022 01:08 AM
Last Post: Power_uP