strange sound from steering
06-18-2010, 06:21 PM
I was checking on my ae86 the steering i see that it is possible because of annoying rattling noise when i drove on bumps that i have worn:

45503 END SUB-ASSY, STEERING RACK
45503-19015 AE86

I already changed the tie rods for new one.

The question is can there be somethink other wrong. Or what mostly can go wrong? I will replace the end sub-assy, steering rack tomorrow anyway but i was wondering if this will be the only one problem i can have.

85' AE86 GT coupe lifetime project since 2005
Find all posts by this user
06-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Manual rack ?
If so it could be an adjustment problem or it could be a worn bushing in the rack housing.
Bushing is at the opposite end of the housing to the pinion and if it gets worn the rack can move around causing a knocking sound.

An analogue brain in a digital World
06-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Yes i checked and the bushing is definitively worn but as it seems there are also bearings also that are a little loose so it seems i need to change them also, don't know if i need to change the rack guide. I need to ask by toyota dealer for prices on the bushing and the rack guide i think the bearings i can get in a specialized shop. Anyway if i want to replace the bushing how to do it in proper way?

06-21-2010, 10:07 PM
There is a cunning way to remove the old bushing, it is diificult without special tools. Mig weld a bead around the inside of the bushing, a complete ring. When the weld cools it will contract and the bush usually just falls out on the floor ! Be very careful not to weld all the way through though..
Replacing is a case of heating the housing and freezing the bush. Push the new bush in quickly.

An analogue brain in a digital World
06-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Thank you for usefull information Smile
Oh btw. i checked the toyota dealer today for the parts. I was not suprised at all about those but it is really a steal what toyota dealer have for prices on those parts.

part list (without tax 19%):
45541A - bearing radial ball (for stearing pinion - upper) - 42 euro
45541B - bearing radial ball (for stearing pinion - lower) - 69 euro
45523 - guide, rack (for stearing gear) - 9 euro
45522 - bush, steering rack - 33 euro

I checked the bearings they are NSK brand but in a specialized shop they told me they are not tipical because they don't have standard sizes. They cost only 5 euro! each but are 1mm more slim like the original one's.
Paying 69+42 euro for 2 small bearings Angry because they have no replacement i am really mad.
I think i go with those from shope hope i will not destroy anythink on stearing gear 1mm will propably don't be trouble anyway.
The rack guide and bush i must order by toyota dealer i think i will not get replacement for that.

06-24-2010, 04:16 PM
I found a page: lauber.pl

they are rebuilding autoparts and they got whole stearing for AE86 in Czech republic on eshop is price also:

http://www.automatejcek.cz/nahradni-dily...ni/A91C07/

including tax: 103 eur

I think this sounds not too bad for this price and they also test the parts and have warranty for it. I think i get one Smile .

04-20-2011, 12:23 AM
So how is looking steering gear housing overhaul tool set you can see here Smile i made som pics for you.
We used it to replace bush and to install new one and adjust the steering it is really usefull thing but it cost something. Price for this one was 319 euros by our local toyota dealer.
I am waiting for new bearings so that i can finish the steering rebuild.

I decided not to go with lauber steering because i am not sure if this one will fit because they cannot confirm that it is suited for AE86 so i was decided to renew the steering rack.

Beside this i am not sure if it completely solve my issue i think i must look in the steering column shaft and replace the bearing and stopper i marked on pics what i mean. I think it will be the stopper that was causing all the trouble. This part is not cheap too 100 euros and the upper bearing 12 euros.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-20-2011, 09:00 PM
I was wondering if anyone has some idea how to remove the lower bearing from the steering because in guide there is mentioned to heat the housing in som kind of oil bath to 80 degrees and tap it out with plastic hammer. I am thinking of heating it with gas flame torch that i use to repair roof on my garage and tap it out with plastic hammer. Don't have flane welder so this is a little bit trouble also i don't have find any puller that will do the job.

Any options ? Dumb question

04-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Ok news!
Bearings for steering rack arrived but i was a little bit dissapointed because the lower bearing that i tought is bad is OK so that was a total miss and loss the lower bearing cost 95 euros at final price. So you better check if it is really OK because lower and upper bearing have always some play on the inside they are somehow not tipical bearings. So if you check the play is about 1-2 mm i have not read any ionformaion on this so this is bad that it is not mentioned in the AE86 manual.
Ok in my case upper bearing was a lot more loose than 2mm so i better to replace it and we can start with adjusting Smile

04-21-2011, 07:04 PM
The passenger rack end bushing/sleeve bearing is the usual problem. Don't use a pressure washer on the pinion seal or U-joint.
A little grease deadened the noise in mine until the whole PS rack was replaced, it had at least 4-5mm of play.

So what!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why Manual Steering Rack ?? Power Steering Removal juantonwan 26 40,219 10-02-2014 06:07 PM
Last Post: mad.matt
  Strange moment curve harkes 22 17,731 08-13-2013 01:50 PM
Last Post: harkes
  Strange ignition problem kpretro84 12 22,647 04-20-2013 02:34 AM
Last Post: jondee86
  Annoying sound (Ae92 hatch gti) Apsogos 2 4,069 01-02-2013 12:13 PM
Last Post: Apsogos
  Lets play "Guess that sound!" aka diff problems Apolan 6 6,591 08-28-2010 01:19 AM
Last Post: Apolan