specifications for LSD rebuild
12-20-2004, 02:40 PM
Rebuild kit just dropped in the mail today....took a week to get here. That is VERY fast, it's fair to say that T3 looks after it's customers pretty well.

I took a look at the parts included in the kit, from the crude measurements I made I'd also say these are the toyota stock parts. 2.5mm inner clutches, 2mm spline plates, about 1.7mm outer clutch plates. It also comes with new springs.
I wonder how this will lock up when the diff is rebuilt. If nr 6 outer clutches are indeed available in europe then that would make for even harder lockup.

Cant we try to find out what a similar kit would cost from the toyota dealers including taxes?
I'll post a list of the part numbers later..

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-20-2004, 02:48 PM
as far as i know of toyota rebuild kits they cost around 650 euro

i asked once because my diff needs some replacement parts but it so pricy

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
Find all posts by this user
12-20-2004, 04:48 PM
I think toyota tries to sell you new gears and camplates as well..that would explain the costs.
Here's the list of things you need:

Springs: 90501-23474 (4x)
Inner clutch: 41361-14051 (2x)
Spline plates: 41385-14010 (2x)
Outer clutch: T3 spec (#5): 41361-14060 (2x)
if available (#6): 41361-14070 (2x)

I think it might also be wise to replace the bushings (or washers as toyota calls them) they are not included in T3 kit: 41383-14010 (2x)

The parts catalogue already mentions how many of each part you need, so you probably order all these things in pairs, I wrote down the quantities in case you need to know.

Try to get some prices and availability info on these parts if you can.
The #5 outer clutch plates ar definately available, and it's rumoured that #6 plates are also available, who knows...
I cant imagine these parts costing more than 200 euro's

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
12-21-2004, 01:18 PM
ha managed to find an internet cafe in rural gujerat! (it took a lot of asking arround)

ivan your info confirms what i found in my research, that the t3 kit is just an assembly of toyota parts, if the adjusting washers you got are 1.7mm they are number 3or 4 (if i am correct)

as i said befor the exact parts you got cost me aprox 150 euros with the number 6 washers (1.85mm)

anyway il be outa here in a few weeks so i can complete my rebuild and let you know whats up

befor i left i assembled the diff several times with different combinations of parts and found that when assembled with no.3 and 4 washers (the ones which were in it already) i could turn a drive shaft with a wheel as a lever (i .e attached to the shaft) by hand. (it says nthis should be possible after the rebuild in the workshop manual)

when assembled with the no.6 plates this was not possible

when assembled with clutch plates in place of adjusting washers (eqivilent of 2.5mm adjusting washers) i could barley close the housing using over 60nm of torque on each bolt!!

this was the same for putting 1mm spacers behind the springs! (i read to try this somewhere)

so take this as you may i opted for using th no.6 plates and will comment on the diffs opperation in early january

Run Free and take a Goodline

V8FOURCAM32 MK3 Supra
Patchwork AE86 from 4AGE to 7AGE to 4AGZE and now 4AGEU20v
suzuki cappuccino
mondeo TD
12-21-2004, 03:46 PM
I actually have #5 washers in my rebuild kit. I measured it with a vernier caliper, not very exact is it..
I think the #6 washers might be a bit off overkill after reading your post..but who knows, we'll find out next month.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
12-21-2004, 05:58 PM
Okay..here are some prices in euro's from the toyota dealer (ex. taxes):
-springs: 1.65/piece
-bushings (not in T3 set): 13.55/piece
-#5 washers: 15.20/piece
-#6 washers: 13.81/piece (available!!)
-spline plates: 13.96/piece
-clutchplates: forgot to write it down, probably between 15-20/piece

So a complete kit with everything you need in it will cost around 170-180 euro's. If you decide not to use new bushings, then it's about 140-150 euro's including taxes (19% in Holland).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
12-21-2004, 06:22 PM
So basicly the price is almost the same for the same parts?!?!
12-21-2004, 07:58 PM
It's a little bit more...about 15 euro's more expensive than T3's kit

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
02-17-2005, 04:11 PM
finally everything was put back together with the number 6 adjusting plates new clutch plates and spline plates new springs

southern axles in watford set the preload and backlash for 50euros but im sure you could get this pretty accurate at home possibly needing a dial guage

preload is the load applied on the conical bearings either side of the diff (where the half shafts go in) adjusted by winding in the adjusters and seting them in place using the lock clips

backlash is also set using these adjusters to locate the diff slightly to the left or right so the tolerance between the crown gear and pinnion gear is just right

because both adjustments are done with the same adjusters it can take a little time to get right

preload can be set with a dial guage like a torque wrench but much finer for measuring much smaller values of torque

and the backlash by feel(just so there is very slight play between the two gears like 0.5mm or a piece high quality paper thickness (run this between the two gears and set them then remove it should leave a slight tolerance)
or to get an idea ask in a modle shop about setting a backlash between the pinion and spur gear on a radio control car they will demonstrate!

if there is no backlash there will be great friction between the two gears and a grinding sound when the assembly turns

i was not entirley happy with the work as my diff now makes a whirring sound ( the chap said it would because the hard coating on my crown gear had worn out- it didnt whir befor! and miracuosly he had a whole replacement housing in stock for 200 euros! to my suprise!)

oh well it prob is worn out and maybe he set it so to help it on its way but thats what you get for leting someone else do the work! i didnt really care as my grandad just died had exams at uni then one of my best friends commited suicide!

however it is fucking awsome to drive now!

the rear is precisly contolable using the throttle as the diff action is instantaneous (not waiting for it to act like befor!)
power through and out of corners is superb you can just put your foot down and rocket out of the bend
and the switch to oversteer just requires a slighlty heavy foot
drift control is so much more precise and smooth

i would regard this in my top five upgrades for the corolla!

Run Free and take a Goodline

V8FOURCAM32 MK3 Supra
Patchwork AE86 from 4AGE to 7AGE to 4AGZE and now 4AGEU20v
suzuki cappuccino
mondeo TD
02-17-2005, 04:31 PM
Nice to hear that your diff works okay now. I need to set a diff up myself pretty soon, did you put in any new bearings?
I cant think of a shop that can set it properly for me (toyota would be way to expensive), but I have a few options left. I can choose out of 3 options:
-put in good ring and pinion in old diff housing and have that adjusted.
-Fix up a 4.0 ratio diff (LSD in that one is somehow locked up, could be fun for driftdays)
-Have mux's diff re-adjusted, we're not sure wether it's the backlash that is causing the whistle or the bearings..

Someone should make an idiot's guide to setting diff's up properly. I have some documentation but I dont have the proper tools to do the job and find out for myself.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bluetop Engine Rebuild multiple question Goal 150-160hp Hanzo 16 7,641 04-19-2021 10:08 PM
Last Post: Hanzo
  Rear Differential rebuild chenfon 10 7,371 11-20-2020 12:18 AM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  AE86 4A-GE 16v engine harness rebuild FanIsHere 7 8,670 01-17-2020 08:04 PM
Last Post: Project D
  Rear Caliper Rebuild mad.matt 16 15,267 01-19-2017 02:19 PM
Last Post: Project D
  Rebuild rear disc brakes toyota crown ms112 axle bozu 0 3,539 12-21-2016 09:37 PM
Last Post: bozu