rim and tyre size?
02-09-2007, 10:31 PM
rim and tyre size?
Knudsen Wrote:Are you sure that theres space enough for such wheels? I took a run in my car the other day, and my 15x7 ET 13 with 195 tires, rub if i corners hard through a bumpy roundabout.. And my suspensions isnt soft - well i guess that you, Skassa, would say that it is Big Grin

if they're rubbing in front do you have a way of adjusting in a bit of - camber? if you're not wanting any camber then you'll need to flare out the front fenders. if they're rubbing in back you may want to flare the rear fenders as well or bend back the fender lip that's underneath. you can use a round plumbing pipe: jack the rear up by the chassis and slowly let the car down with the pipe resting on the tire between it and the chasis. make sure the angle the pipe at about a 45/60 degree angle pointing up in the wheel well. do this the full length of the fender from the back of the tire to the front. if you don't feel comfortable doing this then have it done by a body shop.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-09-2007, 10:58 PM
rim and tyre size?
dr.occa
I know, have done it a couple of times before. But i have just assembled the car after a paintjob, so im not to kean on rolling fenders yet :wink:
They rubbed in the back, but to be honest - i didnt look if there were marks that would indicate where they rub. I was so exited to drive the car for the first time in almost a year, that i had forgot all about rubbing when i got home Tongue

Youtube Myspace and I´ll Google your Yahoo
Find all posts by this user
02-09-2007, 11:01 PM
rim and tyre size?
Knudsen Wrote:dr.occa
I know, have done it a couple of times before. But i have just assembled the car after a paintjob, so im not to kean on rolling fenders yet :wink:
They rubbed in the back, but to be honest - i didnt look if there were marks that would indicate where they rub. I was so exited to drive the car for the first time in almost a year, that i had forgot all about rubbing when i got home Tongue

good deal Thumbs up!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2007, 02:04 AM
rim and tyre size?
Skassa,
unless you are packing at over 200 hp and you need bigger wheels to fit monsterous brake kit, 16' will do nothing for you performance-wise. Okay prehaps you will have a bit less tyre-roll, but that can be compensated with hard-wall tyres and correct tyre-pressure. (just look at the Formula 1 - tiny rims, fat tyres). But you loose much in acceleration (more weight far from center of the hub), you loose grip in rough surfaces and road irregularities due to the increased unspring weight.. and lastly for me it just looks strange.
02-10-2007, 02:29 AM
rim and tyre size?
RIM diameter has NOTHING to do with "performance"... TIRE diameter DOES has something to do with "performance"

16" is fine as long as offset correct and TOTAL diameter is close to original 590mm (23.2"). For example original tires on 86/87 GTS were 195/60/14, you could use a 195/45/16 (2 tires I know of...) this would be close, but slightly undersized... OR 205/45/16(a dozen tires available) would be almost an EXACT match 591mm as opposed to 590mm. So you could use a 16" wheel and still keep total diameter what it was originally.

more rim DOESN'T necessarily add mass... many rims are lighter then tires... so the wider the rim diameter the less tire... so could very well be LIGHTER!!

Bigger issue is getting the right offset. I have the 15" mkII Supra wheels... 15 x 6 with -8 offset. I wanted the Supras... and the 15" is VERY rare....

Biggest problem with 16" rubber... $$$$$$$ waaay more pricey for 16" over 15.

Just make sure the 16" rim you want comes in the offset you need!!! Don't be sold on, "it'll fit" Nice rims on the wrong car looks STUPID... no matter what your intentions....

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
02-10-2007, 02:56 AM
rim and tyre size?
in real life, where people are not willing to spend 1000s of bucks for forged or magnesium wheels, more wheel usually means more weight. and 14' xyz rim will always be lighter than 16' xyz rim, in addition it will shift the weight further away from the center hub - which resoults in poorer acceleration. Also adding to weight is unnecessary width..

i.e. watanabe eightspokes F8F
14x6.5=12.5 lbs
16x7=16.1 lbs

i dont believe that those 2 inches of aditional sidewall weighs more than 3-4 pounds. plus you've pushed the weight further out..

and watanabes are considered to be somewhat light. imagine a heavier wheel. Perhaps some miata owners should write a thing or two about adding weight where it matters the most..
02-10-2007, 03:10 AM
rim and tyre size?
Apolan Wrote:in real life, where people are not willing to spend 1000s of bucks for forged or magnesium wheels, more wheel usually means more weight. and 14' xyz rim will always be lighter than 16' xyz rim, in addition it will shift the weight further away from the center hub - which resoults in poorer acceleration. Also adding to weight is unnecessary width..

i.e. watanabe eightspokes F8F
14x6.5=12.5 lbs
16x7=16.1 lbs

i dont believe that those 2 inches of aditional sidewall weighs more than 3-4 pounds. plus you've pushed the weight further out..

and watanabes are considered to be somewhat light. imagine a heavier wheel. Perhaps some miata owners should write a thing or two about adding weight where it matters the most..

Ouch.... I was just trying to say it is possible and not unrealistic.

I suspect (I'm no engineer, so I don't know....) your mass argument, and how and where it is measured may be skewed.

But accepting all you say... it still can be done, without rubbing and no other significant issues as long as offset is correct.

Dan -

02-10-2007, 03:19 AM
rim and tyre size?
Ofcourse it can be done, after all its the dimensions of the tyre that define the dimension of the whole wheel. So keeping that in mind i think you can even put 17' on there without rubbing anything if the ET is correct as you said. Sure the tires would be something like 195/35 17 but still.. But this is not about weather it fits or not.. Skassa mentioned performance - for a stock or a lightly tuned AE86 i think you can get more benefits with smaller and lighter wheels, than with fitting such monsterous wheels.. and for a 2000lbs car you dont exacly need 15' brake rotors.. and in addition 14' tyres are much cheaper as you said. So taking everything into account 14'-15' are a much better choice.
02-10-2007, 03:28 AM
rim and tyre size?
Apolan Wrote:So taking everything into account 14'-15' are a much better choice.
I couldn't agree more.....
oldeskewltoy Wrote:I have the 15" mkII Supra wheels... 15 x 6 with -8 offset.
Smile Smile

Dan -

02-10-2007, 03:30 AM
rim and tyre size?
... THis is going Undecided offtopic!

So to come back to the question. Mate if you wanne go 16" i would simply measure it. I have et 10 15x7 running 205x50x15 and i was thinking of going 215 :-D

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shim size for AM cams kazi 4 4,583 12-18-2017 05:34 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
Wink Hub size kazi 5 8,621 06-09-2017 10:06 PM
Last Post: kazi
  Rim width. Which is best.... Dino86 5 6,225 01-07-2017 03:09 PM