rebuild overhaul 4AGZE
09-29-2012, 04:22 PM
rebuild overhaul 4AGZE
Hi Guys,

Since I want to drive the AE86 for some while, and almost completely finished the golf I cabrio GTD rebuild i now want to find some time to spend on the Toyota.

it needs a fresh paint, and also the engine gaskets are not what they ones were meant to be.

so start with the engine first Smile

to my opinion I have a jap spec AE92 88-90 GZE looking at the L-jet valve and DLI.. but had 142 whp at 0,6 bar pressure.
model code would then be: AE92-BCMXR ..

for bit more boost I am running a 175mm T3 pulley.

I want to bring some engine parts away to mech shop to check.

what parts am I looking for? some parts are an easy choice, but some still raise some questions

Overhaul gasket set:
(Toyota) 04111-16110

ARP studs and nuts:
ARP studs M10 X 1.25 X 5.00 Part# AM5 .000-1lb
3) 1 10pack
ARP nuts M10 X 1.25 X 7/16 12PT part# 300-8363

Head gasket
standard is 1,2mm thick? but i want to install a "improved version" since i am running more PSI. what are the options?

standard compression ratio is 8,0 for the 145 hp, and 8,9 for the 165hp versions. can I easy raise my compression rate by a other gasket.

Bearings:
what will be the best options for the main and rod bearings?
Standard or aftermarket?
size will depend on measurements. so can obvious not order them upfront.

please some help with the choice!
links to good shops are also very welcome.

also looking for a price worthy exhaust header what will improve the performance, and also will do good for the temperature balance in the engine. still running stock 4age header.

thanks for your help and input!

Regards.

Roel

Gtsi-R

"Trust me, I was an engineer"
"straight lines are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"
Find all posts by this user
09-29-2012, 05:04 PM
rebuild overhaul 4AGZE
That's a lot of questions.

Gasket sets can be bought much cheaper aftermarket, anything but the head gasket is not that much better @ Toyota I would expect.

If you haven't spun a bearing, chances are you can get away with regular sized ones. Cranks don't wear down if the bearings do their work, you can usually only fit undersized bearings after having the crank ground down.

ARP studs: only if you cant get cheaper ones. These parts become critical when aiming for high rpm's, which is pointless on a GZE.

Head gaskets: Toyota makes good quality ones, so staying OEM there is not unwise. I wouldn't bump compression on a supercharged engine without knock sensors. Either boost it harder with a turbo or bigger SC, or keep boost more modest and go with more compression. High compression and high boost can be a dangerous combination without some safeguards (like knock sensors, and an ecu that will know to pull some timing when it detects knock).

OBX does nice headers for the lowest budget. Quality is okay from what I've heard (from Robokill), minor design flaw on a pipe transition without a step, but that's easily fixed. They also make a more expensive (470 dollar) high-rise header, but I'd guess it is a bit overkill for an unnaturally aspirated engine ;-) (and it comes awkwardly close to the distributor).

That was my 2p (half of which is admittedly 50% 'knowledge' I scoured from the internet over the past 10 years).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bluetop Engine Rebuild multiple question Goal 150-160hp Hanzo 16 7,627 04-19-2021 10:08 PM
Last Post: Hanzo
  Rear Differential rebuild chenfon 10 7,352 11-20-2020 12:18 AM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  AE86 4A-GE 16v engine harness rebuild FanIsHere 7 8,642 01-17-2020 08:04 PM
Last Post: Project D
  Rear Caliper Rebuild mad.matt 16 15,240 01-19-2017 02:19 PM
Last Post: Project D
  Rebuild rear disc brakes toyota crown ms112 axle bozu 0 3,530 12-21-2016 09:37 PM
Last Post: bozu