oz 86 my toy my way :)
03-09-2009, 08:02 AM
hey all been a lurker here for a few years, dont now why but got it on my head to do a members ride.

fairly basic build over a few years, but got a bit more serious in the last 6 months or so.

Wanted a toy to play with for a while, but did the wife and house thing first. Finally got around to getting the toy a few years back... looked like..

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - oz 86 my toy my way :)]

actually thats just the colour... and i sucked at matching the yellow after a bit of a gutter incident. sooo

rattle can white. Looks like shit but im getting everything sorted at the moment to give her a relatively proper paint job later this year.

had shit offset xr4's and needed something to make a few changes for me. I know s13 front ends have a few inherant problems when used twith the 86 platform, but i am pretty sure i could overcome them, and it ticked a few box's that i needed...

bigger brakes, cheap quality coilovers, more track, better aftermarket support, and i just wanted to try and make it work well.

so out went old and busted...

and in went new and wide...

yeah at the time that was my shed Smile

Some of the panel work was very dodge, mainly from when i found half inch deep bog in the rear quards after trying to lip the guard lol...

so with our annual national hr meet coming up, i decided a spruce up was in order. I had NEVER done anything with bodywork before, but figured id give it a crack Smile

rubbed back. all going well Smile

bogged up with this shithouse fiberglass stuff. made sanding a nightmare lol.

mmm... high filler is your friend Thumbs up!

and 15 years off my life wasted sanding.:mad: hate sanding:mad:

fronts needed more love too...

and in the end kinda looked ok Smile

clutch kick, switch, tree .... oowwww
Find all posts by this user
03-09-2009, 08:03 AM
well that was it for the body, but what of the bits???
well check it Smile

all the very best things in life are pink on the inside :worthy:

made 104kw at the wheels and runs a fairly basic setup with a motec comp. Still need to sort a decent fuel system, but its enough fun for now. Was planning a monster na build later this year, but plans have changed a bit to either plan a or plan b. Plan a is a turbo conversion. Easy fun and kinda cheap. Plan b is a big capacity ( for a hachi) v6. Largest engine i can still get engineered is a 3.5l. So vq35 Thumbs up! will see what happens.

suspension is fairly simple, s13 front end with hsd coilovers and det brakes (280mm ).

Have a set of z32 calipers ready to go on, just waiting for the new rotors to be redrilled. Will have r32 bmc and a brak balance adjuster so should be a bit of fun. Overkill i know, but thnkning down the road with some big horsepower planned...

Rear end is all rose jointed bar the sway bar and panhard. and originally t3 coilovers were used...

but i found the agx on 8 to be too soft for what i wanted Smile even with 6kg springs i was running out of travel... mainly cos of the limited stroke left by the t3 mount. So i refited the t3 to a set of trd blue rears, which on setting 2 are already stiffer than the agx on 8. Also had the upper hat machined and did a few other bits that saw my stroke incease by 60mm. :smokin:
Also added helper springs to try and keep things captive Smile

these are the trailing arms i got to allow for more pinion adjustment.

Also thought it was a good time to learn a new toy... angle grinder. Im 29 and had never used one Sad sooo

out came the diff...

and off came the spring perch's. Never going to use them again on this car, so it made sense to allow for another 20mm of diff movement befor the spring seat hjits the bump stop Big Grin

then it bit me...

was lucky it was just a nick lol.

Put a newish 4.8 trd 2way in, previously it had a 4.3 welded in it. A coa of black shiny and back in she went.

My ever suffering wife bought me a new set of shoes and sox for my birthday...

but wouldnt let me use them till my brithday! I did however have a cunning plan... if i sold my other wheels, she would nt have any choice... :wack:

you can also see te modified t3 top hat. Had 35mm shaved off the crown to let it sit deeper in the cup.

03-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Then needed to make the wheels fit.:smash:

but first i needed a shed. Couldnt afford a man shed.Crying

got a girly cabbage patch doll shed instead!

so id basically run out of skill to get the flare out further... and my solution was the angle grinder again Smile

finished side. Gives me about 35 mm extra above the tyre, but i have bent it back a bit along the body line to make it look a little less obvious to the old man plod Thumbs up!

also... out with the old and busted...

in with new and shiny!

these made an unbeleivable difference!!! Still need a decent wheel alignment...

decent lock too... and have some tricks coming for a bit more...

devil dog forman!

and tonights latest... redoing the guard a fucked with my cuting skills Smile

and heres my brakes...

had a slight problem today in that my fuel line was going in such a way as to allow air pockets to gather... sorted with the faithful zipptie..

and thats pretty much me.

Tomorow morning i get a new windscreen and some more brake parts. Then a bit of saving and the final brake parts go in. Have a full private day of drifting and driver training next sunday so should be good to really give her a hiding and find any real weak spots Smile

Thanks for reading and let me know what you giuys think.

ps on last thing....

the family that mods together stays together :wave:

03-09-2009, 08:07 AM
got the new windscreen. They found rust Sad

oh well might fix it one day.

Picked up a new master cylinder, so now just need balance adjuster and redrilled rotors.

Hope you all like Smile

03-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Pat

You are going to move that external oil filter lower , think of the extra pressure that's required to lift the oil up to there . You might be loosing .001hp Tongue also you might be shifting the center of gravity to hiace levels. And can't that fuel filter relocated in the rear of car giving a better weight split front to rear and mounted lower ?

Funny i really like this car tho it's not painted the urine yellow or bat shit beige that is all the rage over here atm.
03-09-2009, 10:36 AM
lol i might need to heat shield it in the rear ??

but would the oil filter location be a real problem ??? i do plan on moving it eventually, but i have to relocate my battery to put it where i want.

Should be finished the guard work this evening and then dodgy paint Smile

Just cleared the front bumper for a bit of castor. loving my angle grinder Smile

Waiting on rear flares to show up so i can sort the rear out a bit lower and stop having soooo much scrubbing.

Picked up my new bmc this arv. A question for all out there. It is a nissan r32 unit to complement the increase in pistion size of my new z32 calipers. Ae86 bmc has a rear exit and front exit, leading to the splitter for left and right. the nissan has a single rear exit and twin front exits. Should i bypass the toyota splitter for the fronts and just use it for the rears? Im pretty sure i remember a internal diagram that the chambers are not linked, so they shouldnt be relying on equal pressure blah blah blah but i also remember someone saying once to block one of the fron exits and use the stock pressure block. This doesnt make sense to me but i could simply be ignorant Smile

03-09-2009, 01:55 PM
lookin like a pretty sick build man Smile
i may put my build up on this forum i think they'll like it ay?

adam
03-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Nice project! I like it! Thumbs up!

AE86 GT - SR20DET BlackTop //// Trackday beater
Citroen C4 Coupe VTR - 1.6HDi //// Streetcar
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Nice project.

You got a blue heeler ,someday i will have one too. Thumbs up!

ハチロク

03-11-2009, 01:01 AM
great project you have here. I love your wife's present, I wish mine would give me a present like that Dumb question

good luck!

Pedro Velado
GT-S Owner

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Krullibulls Ae86 BEAMS is the only way krullibull 86 81,205 05-07-2019 09:35 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Project: My new trackday toy (56k beware!) Morten 88 75,092 02-25-2010 01:44 PM
Last Post: Morten
  Kida AE86 project finally under way [20V pwrd] domi 8 7,793 04-20-2007 12:46 AM
Last Post: domi
  Peter's Lambo Trueno 56K NO WAY! tomstwincam 12 13,537 02-03-2007 05:40 PM
Last Post: TRUENO><ONEURT
  Cleaning up rimms the cheap way Mux213 10 9,673 03-03-2006 09:46 AM
Last Post: jamiemirror