noob
06-15-2007, 09:13 PM
noob
Hi everybody,

Just got myself a Levin last week (and my friend got a panda red trueno) and absolutley love it.

I've got a few problems/questions that i hope you might be able to help me with:

1. The diff is really loud, is this common, or does it mean time for a new one?

2. The fuel guage only goes to the first mark and no higher.

3. The temp gauge doesn't work that well, seems to be on max hot nearly all the time, even when starting from cold, then it occasionaly sits in the middle.

Also im thinking of getting a trd quick shift, are they any good and how are they to fit?

Cheers
Hopper

(pics of both the cars to follow)
Find all posts by this user
06-15-2007, 09:16 PM
noob
hi and welcome.

i have the same problem with the water guage. not to worry. go get a after market one.

TRD quickschift??? it is good but waaay to expencive. check; http://www.aeu86.org/index/gearbox-diy-s...post=58130

and make your own

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - noob]
06-15-2007, 09:22 PM
noob
Hi, welcome.

First, the pictures, then we help you. Cool

lol

That noise with the diff, try to change the oil. Sometimes, even when is installed a new lsd, noise comes from the back. If you have no gaps or plays at the rear end, just do the oil.

CumpĀ“s
Filipe Oliveira
06-15-2007, 10:09 PM
noob
Like said before, change the oil and see if that helps. If it doesn't you'll need to rebuild your diff.

A good diff does not whine. I can't believe people that say their rear end whines like crazy. Maybe Toyota diffs differ from Ford ones. While they can make some noise (common drivetrain noise), it should never be loud.

Justice to All
06-15-2007, 11:11 PM
noob
It's not the diff that whines, it's the ring and pinion gears and caused by two reasons: bad initial setup or just worn. It's a known issue and most cars suffer from it, even Mux's car suffered from it when he bought it. The car only ran 100k and only was driven "hard" for 2k, other 98k were driven by an old man (seriously!). Huh

Mine "only" whines really loud between 75 and 85 km/h so I can live with that, however with loud I mean it's louder than the exhaust. Big Grin

The fuel gauge is the same story: known issue. Mostly it is the gauge cluster which is getting old. I had two different clusters and the first one never made it past half way, and the current cluster only goes up to 3/4. Apart from that, if your fuel light comes on normally (e.g. somewhere around you have to fill it with 37 liters) it shouldn't be a really big issue. And you can always try to switch your cluster.

As Kid already said: get an aftermarket water temp. gauge if it is not working correctly, unless you are already going to switch the cluster because of the fuel gauge. Wink

BTW: where are you from? Dumb question

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-15-2007, 11:31 PM
noob
Sorry, I naturally meant the ring and pinion. Our 99 v6 mustang had the "rear end" replaced at only 70k miles. And it was driven by a girl...

Expensive repair, but it is a difference between night and day now. It drives like a new car! If you want to build up your car, you'll have to ensure the drivetrain is sorted first.

I was aiming at ford guys on the forum that said that they let some shop install gears (go from a 3.55 to 4.10) and they ended up with whining rear end. A good install / rear end does not whine... Don't ever let people tell you otherwise Banging head

But I'll let the real AE nuts take over from here... :wink:

Justice to All
06-16-2007, 12:40 AM
noob
cheers for all your replys, im from west sussex, in the uk,

i'll try changing the diff oil and see how that goes, if not roughly how much am i looking at for a new one, and what are my options, second hand, trd, ? who else makes lsd's.

as for the gauges the fuel one doesn't bother me to much as i know the feul light works so i can work it out from there, the temp gauge i know a good auto electriction whom i'll get to have a look at it.

hopefully pending weather i'll have some pics of both the cars tomorow.

cheers
hopper
06-16-2007, 05:33 PM
noob
+ link for DIY short shifter:
http://samodisel.lorddigital.com/razni/A...rtshifter/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-16-2007, 06:08 PM
noob
hopper Wrote:cheers for all your replys, im from west sussex, in the uk,

i'll try changing the diff oil and see how that goes, if not roughly how much am i looking at for a new one, and what are my options, second hand, trd, ? who else makes lsd's.

as for the gauges the fuel one doesn't bother me to much as i know the feul light works so i can work it out from there, the temp gauge i know a good auto electriction whom i'll get to have a look at it.

hopefully pending weather i'll have some pics of both the cars tomorow.

cheers
hopper

Browse over the remarks above again. In an AE86 your "diff" or rear end has 2 main elements, the LSD that does the actual locking etc and a ring and pinion set, which is a set of gears that converts the longitudinal rotation of the driveshaft to a transverse rotation of the driveshafts. A whining diff is a problem of the R&P, the LSD is most likely fine (they clunk before dying). As explained above, the gears go out of allignment or devellop little scoremarks around the edges. What you need to get is a new R&P set and a professional to install it and set it up.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
06-17-2007, 01:10 AM
noob
i understand what your saying,i though the lsd was one complete unit, you live and learn, can i get a new R&P from toyota or are they a universal part and not so car specific?

cheers
hopper

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hi aeu86 forums. i'm a noob and i have questions. ddldave 5 5,390 09-19-2007 09:17 AM
Last Post: Mux213