new 86 owner, hello :)
01-30-2009, 06:01 AM
Hello all, I just got an 86 corolla w/20v silvertop conversion. I really like a lot of things about is but there are a few things I need fixed... these things all make me feel like a real loser that got ripped off completely!!

1 The car no longer starts without a push, i think it needs a new starter. It started up when I test drove it, wtf??!! Is it hard to find a new one?

he installed a set of bilstein coilovers on it after I test drove it. Sure its more sports but if I hit the smallest of bumps on the road is sounds/feels like the car hits the ground a drags! How do I fix this??

It sounds like the wheels are rubbing on the wheel wells once up to speed but I don't see any rub marks, what could it be?

The horn does not work, which is the correct fuse??

He installed an in line fuel pump and it makes this variable pitched whine, it sounds like a dog howling while being tortured before being killed or something, is this normall??!!

... I like a lot of things about it but I feel so ripped off about the starter!! I know where to find all the performance parts for my rx-7 but where in the heck can I buy nice things for my 86 to make it better?? Like new shifter bushings... thing is loosed than.... something that is really really loose!!
Find all posts by this user
01-30-2009, 09:02 AM
Hi And welcome Smile As far as buing things for you AE - check club4ag.com (as i see you are from USA?) There are lots of parts on the market there Wink

Ex-owner of JDM 83' Trueno Coupe
DCw Classic, classic cars restoration,
JDM wheels & parts import, sales.

http://www.facebook.com/DogCustomWorks
+37067170000
01-30-2009, 10:51 PM
About the starter: I did have a battery which did not have enough juice to start the engine eventhough all other electronics were working fine... Also the engine started fine and all of sudden it didn't with ease. After a week I couldn't start the car anymore... Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to try if you are in need of a new battery. Wink

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - new 86 owner, hello :)]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-30-2009, 11:18 PM
It's definitely worth a try, it's strange, it started once and again it won't start... maybe it just needs a little more juice or something because I can hear a relay click but the engine doesn't turn over at all...
02-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Starter issue resolved, thanks for the advice man!! After putting a new starter in it still would not start, grr! Someone looked a little closer at the battery terminals and the bolt holding the fuses onto the + terminal was loose... tightened it up and the car fired right up! Woot woot!! It was just like u described man, everything else worked...

I went to the junk yard and got a new fuel level sensor today so now my fuel gauge works, a very useful bit of info for me Smile Is there anything anyone wants me to grab off of it when I go tomorrow?? A lot of good stuff on it, also an rx-7 there that I will grab a few more things off of as well. I need to get the radio mounting brackets for my new radio... Man it's good to have music!

I took the steering column apart and I found out why the horn does not work... someone used the wrong steering wheel adaptor! That's why my blinkers never turn off... I just feel like I was ripped off and now I have to fix everything that should have been simple enough for anyone to fix Sad Thanks for the help guys. I still need to raise the car up a lil bit because i rub all over the wheel wells and such...

... Fun car though Smile
02-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Great to hear you resolved the issues! Thumbs up!

02-04-2009, 03:58 AM
This car is having one problem after another, the battery & alternator both went bad, also the battery is slowly drained at all times when connected to the car (probabally what killed it) and is also somehow grounded to the body and shocks you pretty good every now and then. I really wanted a solid daily driver, but for 5K I didn't expect this. I'm definately going to try and return it... I have had this 4 days now and if broke down 4 times already Sad Owner http://www.pandagarage.com promised that this car was a strong runner and would get me to and from work every day!

Sad
02-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Battery and alternator are not that big issues. I'm more worried about getting shocks! Blush

02-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Well, he won't take it back but will help me try to sell it... anyone want one in ca? Just trying to recoup my losses and going to look at a 300z today...
01-18-2010, 06:14 AM
Well I just got the car out of storage today and it's still having starting issues... I have replaced the negative battery cable (sanding paint away from the body mount point for better contact) and cleaned the hell outa the positive terminal mounts. Just push started it and drove down to autozone and they took my battery out and it tested very well. Then car did not start... hooked up a charger to it for 3 min and she started right up. Tested the alternator after that and it looks really good to...

Just kinda clueless right now as to what it might be?? What else should I check?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Hachi owner... Trans fluid location? TKD-Wolf 17 10,695 01-30-2007 09:31 AM
Last Post: Plex