lz2lps's Track AE86
01-18-2008, 11:08 PM
lz2lps's Track AE86
Phase 0: How it all started
One night, alone in the hotel room in Copenhagen, Denmark (right next to Vesterport station) was wondering what to do. From time to time when I am in a mood, like to write my thoughts and share them (this is the only way to reach deep in my mind, at all other times can’t concentrate at all) – this helps me focus and learn something new about me too.

So at this night I decided to write about my experience with cars, from the dream as a kid to be a race driver, through my first car, that a bought around 2 years ago (Honda Civic Coupe). After that spent 1 year in Southern California (Orange County – the city is Irvine). There, knowing that I probably should leave the country after 2 weeks (applied for extension, but with my passport destroyed – the chance wasn’t very big) – me and my brother bought our second car, which is Acura Integra GSR. My brother still drives it in the States, and I drive the Civic Coupe in Bulgaria (which suffered a lot Wink.

So while in California, with my new car, I participated in about 10 Autocross events at California Speedway and El Toro (Tustin, CA).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytoqMTQpjR8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO_VlfQ8t6k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nScIgskbHc

For my 26th birthday went to Fast Lane racing school for 1 day with my Integra (it was twice the money to drive the prepared Toyota Cellica GTS). This racing school is at Willow Springs track, and more correctly at the Streets of Willow smaller track (which is seen in some Best Motoring, Hot Version movies).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6I9kUr-iBo

Before the race school every weekend I drove 240 miles from Irvine to Willow Springs. This means getting up early around 6, driving 2 hours, watching, going back another 2 hours and the next day the same .

The first time I went to the track, there were some AE86 at the drift track, and it was just amazing. Until then I only saw one in the Drift Bible movie (because couldn’t find one at that point in Bulgaria, I bought the Civic Coupe, but the AE86 was the car I wanted to have some day). Then I didn’t know that the guy driving one of the AE86 was actually Tanner Foust (this year USA top drifter). Some guys were shooting movie there, so did I, haha.

Tanner Foust

Somewhere in this writing I mentioned that soon I will be looking for an AE86 or 200SX. Was in Denmark to earn some money, right  - they should be spent the right way, meaning in a new car.

El Camino read this post (that I posted in http://www.drifting-bg.com) and sent me PM that he is selling his AE86. Actually I saw the advertisement at the beginning, but wasn’t ready (read – didn’t had enough money, because when I got back from USA decided to find out if I still want to continue to be Software Developer, or not and took 4 months vacation. Spent all that I saved in tires and gas, torturing the poor Civic Coupe).

Hm, had half of the money that I needed, but as my stay in Copenhagen was extended with another month, and I was supposed to get more money (allowances). Few calls to a good friend and a colleague in Bulgaria, he called my boss and the money were transferred in my mother’s account, so my father can use them to pay for the car.

The next step was to talk to El Camino, who happened to be a great guy (although don’t know each other personally) and I needed to convince him that it is OK to buy the car without even seeing it. Thanks to him, the first week of December, the car was in my garage.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - lz2lps's Track AE86]

Me in Denmark, using mainly public transport to go to work and then back to the hotel, my dream car 3000km away – you know hard 2 weeks that left, before going back home for the holidays. Thinking right now – when was in USA, I made around 15000km with the Acura Integra, now for 5 months will have 300km (mostly with my father’s Renault 19, because didn’t had winter tires on the Civic Coupe, and needed to start the AE86 project as soon as possible, so we can remove the most components out of it, before flying back to Copenhagen for another 10 weeks).

Unfortunately drove the AE86 for one day and after that I needed to start disassembling it. Couldn’t fully feel the car (just 1 day), but even under 4000RPM it felt good…

So end of Phase 0, the car is in my garage. Phase 1 is fixing the body and I suppose it will take long time, which will use to research and find out what exactly am going to do with my project.

The main idea of the car is having fun and developing my racing skills – so it definitely will be track oriented car… But about this will write in my next posts.

Want to thank to El Camino and maggkraber, who is there when I have questions… Don’t have mechanical knowledge, can do basic stuff, hope the Bulgarian guys will help with the project, when I need some advices… Plan to do most of the things myself with my father – the best thing about this car is that it will allow me to spend a lot of time with him.

Just a hint, what follows next....
Last engine start:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRHJZjhqgD8
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-19-2008, 06:29 PM
lz2lps's Track AE86
Great to see the car back here! Thumbs up!
I can imagine buying the car unseen may be a big gamble! You haven't even sent out a relative to see the car at first? Huh

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
01-19-2008, 10:23 PM
lz2lps's Track AE86
banpei Wrote:Great to see the car back here! Thumbs up!
I can imagine buying the car unseen may be a big gamble! You haven't even sent out a relative to see the car at first? Huh

I instructed my father that it doesn't matter the condition Tongue All is fixable...
Mechanically i don't care in what condition it is. It is important the body to be fixed. Always wanted to start everything from the beginning, check the things one by one, fix them... May not have a lot of mechanical knowledge, but learn fast and can find information (you all know that Google knows everything, right? ).

I was inspired by a lot of good projects here at AEU86.org.
This is my project car - the Civic now becomes the shopping cart Tongue. I am fully aware that i would hear the old good 4AGE and feel what is to drive AE86 at least an year from now. Knowing how much it took most of you - and you know what are you doing... But i am fine with that. Also while in Copenhagen i will save the money to keep the project running - and this makes me calmer while using the public transport for another 2.5 months, far from things like this everyday Banging head (at least will not destroy brand new tires every 2 months):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OaPweG4wcw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB9VJCzbHbg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8_48fCZbU0

But i know it is worth the time, so i will just be patient

Except a couple of holes from the rust, it seems good:

Argh, rust holes. Not worried - only Opel drivers drive very fast because they are running from the rust. With the AE86 running fast is a natural thing Tongue. Bought 2-3 books on classical car restoration, searching for an MIG welding machine and the best possible way to preserve the body for at least 10 years Smile. This is the main goal now - have a strong base for everything else. If the body is eaten by the rust it is pointless to put money in the black hole. Kind of hard to find good shell in BG. Did i say that i and my father are doing everything alone? Yep - none of us did it before, so a great deal of research should be done.

Other than these rust holes, the body really looks well preserved for a 23 year old car. Argh, what my eyes see - a hammer. I told my dad that he should forget the saying "If something doesn't go out with the little hammer it will do with the bigger one Evil" - but he doesn't listen to me.
It worked on the good old Russian car "Moskvich" - RWD baby, only if was lighter than 1.5 Tons and had more than 70hp, haha.

My dad helps a lot. He is the one welding all kinds of strange engine/body supports, so we can remove the engine/gearbox,....

Every single thing will be checked according to the factory repair manual and if needed rebuilded. Meaning all goes out... I think i saw a hole in the flywheel Huh, but who cares will fix it...

Ohooo, 30th December and engine and gearbox are out. Now my dad can do things by himself as I am leaving for 10weeks to Copenhagen.

Here is the whole picture gallery:
http://picasaweb.google.bg/lz2lps/AE86Project

A lot more pictures, but forgot to download them from the camera Dumb question
What colour it would be you ask? Black with silver - will post the picture when i go Monday at the office. Of course nothing is final and there is a lot of time until the new paint is laid - so the colour stays open.
01-20-2008, 02:32 AM
lz2lps's Track AE86
man, good luck with that! i was thinking about doing the same thing, build an AE86 ground up, now i see it's a lot of work (and money!)

respect Thumbs up!
Find all posts by this user
01-20-2008, 10:25 AM
lz2lps's Track AE86
Nice project you got there! It is a lot of work but it sure is worth it Thumbs up!

Sarcasme is just one of the things I offer Wink

Daily driver: '92 Toyota Carina E GTI
Rebuilt project: '86 Levin hatch
01-20-2008, 12:58 PM
lz2lps's Track AE86
Great to have such a dad! Thumbs up!

01-20-2008, 03:54 PM
lz2lps's Track AE86
Obviously i am not the only lucky one Respect!. Don't they look alike,haha

Jan Pedersen's dad:

Cutting a little the beard and are like twins Tongue

Talking about twins... My brother is as much excited about the project, as I am (I am the one - far right Wave). And yep - i have a twin broher Tongue
01-20-2008, 05:34 PM
lz2lps's Track AE86
LOL Yes WE are very lucky Thumbs up!

Sarcasme is just one of the things I offer Wink

Daily driver: '92 Toyota Carina E GTI
Rebuilt project: '86 Levin hatch
01-20-2008, 10:54 PM
lz2lps's Track AE86
LOL Big Grin
And your twin brother doesn't want a hachi then? Tongue

01-21-2008, 03:06 AM
lz2lps's Track AE86
lol Big Grin not only r u twins but ur wearing honda jackets. i think its funny. usually around here the honda guys stick to hondas. good luck bro.

te72 wagon
ae86 levin coupe project
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Track AE86 Build from south america Nurburgring 3 7,691 10-30-2013 07:31 PM
Last Post: BOOMEX
  Ian.G's Track/Drift Levin. Ian.G 476 574,480 08-30-2013 12:23 PM
Last Post: vladx_kc
  86er's Track rebuild N2.??? Finally an update page 8 86er 191 245,886 03-25-2012 10:05 AM
Last Post: bozu
  (AUS) 8age trueno track monster! green_boy_91 48 53,693 02-22-2010 01:47 PM
Last Post: green_boy_91
  KP61: The track fridge 127 Boy 20 28,697 01-04-2010 01:02 AM
Last Post: The Doctor