hachiroll`s rust&lowcompressionrolla project
04-13-2011, 12:29 AM
Looks like I am not the first one to work on this engine. On the exhaust camshaft bearing cap there is a different bolt.
On each camshaft bearing cap there is a different number from 2 to 5 and an arrow. Why do the numbers start from 2,not from 1 and why are there numbers ? To indicate the order of caps? In what direction should the arrows be arranged?
On my engine on the intake cam there is one arrow on no.2 cap and exhaust cam no. 4 cap in opposite directon. Is the order correct?
You can see it on the picure below.
Maybe stupid questions but it is my first engine rebuild.
Thanks for answers.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
04-13-2011, 12:57 AM
Yeap, someone messed with your caps Smile
Arrow indicate to the front (cambelt). Number one cap is the big one with the camshaft oil seal in it.
You need to turn around No I2 E4.
That bolt looks ugly but does the job Tongue

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86
04-13-2011, 02:10 PM
fax0815 Wrote:Yeap, someone messed with your caps Smile
Arrow indicate to the front (cambelt). Number one cap is the big one with the camshaft oil seal in it.
You need to turn around No I2 E4.
That bolt looks ugly but does the job Tongue
\

Thanks for answer. I found everything about arrows and numbers in service manual today Smile
04-21-2011, 11:48 PM
Today I worked for a while on the engine.
On the cylinder head there is written 5-23N as you can see on the picture.
I doesnt look like it is from new. Does anyone know what does it mean?
And i broke my 1/4 ratchet extension bar while trying to loosen head bolts. What should I use to loose them? Do i need some special tool or 3/8 ratchet with extension bar will do it?

04-22-2011, 04:14 AM
Don´t get exited, nothing special about the number in your cylinder head Smile
You did not really trying to loose the bolts with a 1/4", didn´t you? Banging head
They got 30Nm and 2x 90°.
You are better of getting a 1/2" multitooth socket size 10, like this and make sure its as long and as slim as possible.
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - hachiroll`s  rust&l...la project]

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86
05-13-2011, 12:36 AM
fax0815 Wrote:Don´t get exited, nothing special about the number in your cylinder head Smile
You did not really trying to loose the bolts with a 1/4", didn´t you? Banging head
They got 30Nm and 2x 90°.
You are better of getting a 1/2" multitooth socket size 10, like this and make sure its as long and as slim as possible.
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - hachiroll`s  rust&l...la project]

but what does the number mean?
05-13-2011, 12:52 AM
When I mounted engine on a stand and turned it upside down this washer fell out. At first, I didnt know where was it from, but when I loosened engine head bolts one of them was missing a washer. Screw thread on this bolt is foked up, probably also in engine block.

05-13-2011, 01:33 AM
Here is how the cylinders look like after removing head. When you look closer at second piston you can notice two round shaped holes, they are probably from valve locks which were left or fell in combustion chamber. Second piston is really clean, looks like he didnt work since fked up rebuild. And on third cylinder if you look very closely there is a spider web, looks like this one didnt work as well.
Head bolt washer in cylinder head, valve locks in combustion chamber, camshaft caps in wrong order, I would like to see the person Respect! who rebuild this poor engine and maybe theres more to come.
I couldnt get the crankshaft timing pulley of, I tried hammer, screwdriver but I wasnt able to get the foker of.
What should I do to get it of?

05-13-2011, 07:53 AM
Screw look like this if you reuse them 1 or 2 times, the thread gets streched and won´t match the blocks thread, but there shouldn´t be any damage to the block. Every screw has its washer, take them out, cause they can get lost in the head Smile
I hope you got new ones?

Pistons look that clean if they get in contact with water, hence your broken headgaket.

The damage to you piston is not nice, but ok, how does it look on the opposite head site? Grind down sharp edges.

I suggest use the "search" button to get the cam pulley off, the rust pretty bad, so more violence and heat is the way to go Smile
You can get them new from Toyota for 20-30€ if I remeber correct.

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86
11-10-2011, 01:55 AM
Started to clean the exhaust valves...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kaboom Project #62 [KP62] & Toyota scrapyard meshin 9 12,286 02-05-2010 10:45 AM
Last Post: nmwisima
  Bought a Ae86 and super scared cause of rust can any one hel adamsaiyad 19 19,521 12-02-2009 02:29 AM
Last Post: [Walaki]D`Lair