guy with some questions about drive train.
06-22-2011, 03:59 AM
im new on the site. fixing to start a build on my 84. looking for some advice. im planning a 1uzfe and a w58. but as far as the rear end goes im open for discussion. it is an sr5 and an automatic (for now) so the factory isnt going to help me much. im looking for something different. i would like to stay with a solid floating rear end for reliability and price. i want discs on the rear. if i could find a nice gts lsd set i would go for it, but those arent an everyday find, so im keeping my options open. any help with that would be fantastic!! i would love to keep running 13s on it but after searching around for disc upgrades for the front, there isnt much options out there but fc rx7 and volkswagen parts so im going to have to go with 14s. Crying has anyone ever tried any mk1 mr2 brake parts on the ae86s? i know it is different because of wrong offset on wrong end but the calipers are great. and rotors are available drilled and slotted. heavy springs all the way around, reasonably low, but i still want to be able to drive it everyday. full roll cage with most of the interior in tact from the front seats forward (nice buckets with 4 points) headliner optional. all aftermarket gauges (bunches of moving dials look awesome even if they are redundant). i want the car to be completely driveable and clean and reliable. i dont care about the flash, just the bang. Thumbs up! also i havent decided if i should ditch the back seat or leave it in there and just make the cage around it, it isnt that heavy. it would be cool to still be able to sit 4. im making the pan in the trunk lower to fit a fuel cell. also battery in the trunk is a must. power steering is not important to me. the car has it, but not needed. less parts to fail. so finding a non power steering rack would be cool. i drove the car for 2 years without power steering. pump went out so i took the belt off. never had a problem. air conditioning would be amazing, but again not high on my list. the cage will continue to the strut towers front and rear for bracing. the list goes on and on. ive done quite a bit of research on it, just cant find a suitable rear end that doesnt involve major swap like an independent out of an s13 or something like that, plus id love to stick with toyota. if anyone or everyone has any input dont hold back.
Find all posts by this user
06-22-2011, 04:12 AM
also that tall 5th gear i saw advertised would be cool. any experiences with it? cruising rpm for 5th at highway speeds?
06-22-2011, 05:50 AM
This.....

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=12379

Cheers... jondee86
06-22-2011, 06:04 AM
that looks perfect. i could do that myself. gives me great ideas. it would help with weight transfer too. make up for the extra in the front by adding to the rear. lol. i should remove more, but that axle would last for ever. i wonder what brakes those are. nobody mentioned anything on them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  20v Silvertop - New Haltech ECU & Couple of questions 20valver 7 192 Yesterday 08:51 AM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Brake Bias Questions mad.matt 10 9,739 01-03-2019 04:54 AM
Last Post: mad.matt
  wider rear axle,track width,suspension questions ditn 6 7,589 10-18-2016 11:50 AM
Last Post: fantapants
  Suspension questions leon205gti 17 13,204 04-30-2016 09:26 PM
Last Post: krullibull
  Brake questions d3nso 12 13,409 01-20-2016 01:06 PM
Last Post: pack