ford type 9 gearbox with 4age engine
12-14-2014, 12:14 PM
Im gonna use the 6speed gearbox for my rallycar Smile
Would be interested in the perfect 6speed gearbox as well in the later future when everything is up and running
Find all posts by this user
12-20-2014, 01:08 AM
to oldeskeweltoy :

I prefer to keep Toyota clutch fork and release cylinder , than using the Ford cable system. The Ford type 9 gearbox is a Quaife kit (straight pinions), which should be stronger than Lexus and Nissan gearboxes

TO Totta Crolla ; Fensport has also a bellhousing in stock . Where would it be better to buy it ?
Fensport or Motorsport -Tools ? (Knowing i want to fit the release cylinder and fork pivot from the ae86)
On pics , I can't see the place to fit the release cylinder.
Phil

Filh
Save the RWD cars
12-20-2014, 03:10 AM
(12-20-2014 01:08 AM)filh Wrote:  to oldeskeweltoy :

I prefer to keep Toyota clutch fork and release cylinder , than using the Ford cable system. The Ford type 9 gearbox is a Quaife kit (straight pinions), which should be stronger than Lexus and Nissan gearboxes

The Lexus/Toyota gear case is stronger then the Nissan version.

As to strength as compared to a Ford type 9 box... I'm not qualified to answer since I don't know the Ford gearbox. What I do know is this transmission was used by Toyota in a 3000# car(Altezza, and IS200), these cars all have over 200hp, and more importantly all are over 160# feet of torque. In each case these are far more loads then a 4AGE, and a Corolla's mass will place on them

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
12-20-2014, 03:47 AM
Hi filh, I would buy from whoever was prepared to guarantee it would fit your car without issue.

An analogue brain in a digital World
12-20-2014, 09:13 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2014 09:25 PM by oldeskewltoy.)
As far as bolt in....

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - ford type 9 gearbox with 4age engine]

The only custom work REQUIRED would be to either shorten the stock driveshaft front section 1/2" - what I did in mine, OR go custom one piece. In either case... you will need to source a transmission yoke from something that ran the W5x transmission, Again in my case I sourced the front half of a MkII Supra driveshaft, and had that shortened and fitted to the rear half of the Corolla driveshaft - as seen below

custom carbon fiber one piece

EDIT - for full disclosure... the converted J160 adds 10 kilos over a T50

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
12-21-2014, 05:18 PM
Ditn, for a true race car you will need close ratio gearbox. Forget any standard gearbox.
Case is not so important, ford, toyota ..... ratios are.
If i had enough money, my 4AGE would have 4AGE->Ford t9 bell and some caterham 6speed close ratio behind. I guess that's around 2000-3000euro total.
It is much easier to find T9 box and gears than Toyota ones.
12-21-2014, 06:29 PM
Uzelac : correct . I use a TRD close ratios, and it's ok . but it's only a stock upgrade about ratios.
all parts remaining the same . And it's harder and harder to get those parts (For example : input shaft bearing)
Here in Belgium, and west Europa , it's hard to find gearbox like W58 , and Nissan , Lexus etc.
Buying parts overseas involving high customs charges .
An alternative seems to be Lampola (from Finland Esa Peltonen), dog Box , but you get same problem with taxes ,in Finland, as non European union member.

Still asking myself where to buy the adapted type 9/T50 bellhousing , as i want to keep hydraulic clutch system and Toyota clutch fork .
Looks like the two engine supports , bolted on block and on T50 bellhousing , are forgotten on .
bellhousing adaptation.
Maybe not to important, but as it is for rallying ......?
any advice welcomed
Phil

Filh
Save the RWD cars
12-21-2014, 08:52 PM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2014 09:03 PM by totta Crolla.)
My Type 9 bellhousing has done thousands of miles of rallying, most of it on broken concrete and is still fine even without the extra supports.
Every bellhousing I have seen allows for the stock hydraulic clutch slave and fork.
Here is another bellhousing for you and I can personally vouch for the seller.
http://cbradleymotorsport.co.uk/transmis...-ford.html

An analogue brain in a digital World
12-21-2014, 11:04 PM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2014 11:29 PM by Uzelac.)
(12-21-2014 06:29 PM)filh Wrote:  Uzelac : correct . I use a TRD close ratios, and it's ok . but it's only a stock upgrade about ratios.
all parts remaining the same . And it's harder and harder to get those parts (For example : input shaft bearing)
Here in Belgium, and west Europa , it's hard to find gearbox like W58 , and Nissan , Lexus etc.
Buying parts overseas involving high customs charges .
An alternative seems to be Lampola (from Finland Esa Peltonen), dog Box , but you get same problem with taxes ,in Finland, as non European union member.

Phil

Finland is part of EU Smile
Not sure if Lampola has dogbox, mine is lampola and is standard syncro mesh, but short ratio, like TRD.
I can understand problems with parts for TRD, thats one more reason to go with Ford parts, easily avaliable.

BTwo if you need w5x I can help you get it, they are cheap herein Serbia and it would be cheap to ship it to Germany, I have an relative in Bocholt, that's practicaly Holland, shouldn't be too far for you together there and pick it up Smile
12-23-2014, 01:28 AM
Uzelac : on Esa Peltonen site :http://www.esapeltonen.fi/ refering to AE86 parts the gearbox is well called Dogbox (3 models).
I already have bought a Type 9 Quaife box , short ratios , straight pinions and synchros

Totta Crolla : ok , lets forget the extra supports (time gain when removing :-) )
will probably order from Fensport or motorsport-tools.
And i saw a link on Driftworks where it show the use of T50 gearbox support, mixed with Ford bushing
http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drift-ca...ics-9.html

Bests regards
Phil

Filh
Save the RWD cars

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ford gearbox totta Crolla 0 1,072 02-15-2022 05:21 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  4ac gearbox on 4age hachirokkos 2 5,266 05-24-2016 10:16 PM
Last Post: banpei
  toyota a series engine....can a fwd corolla engine be used 210 datsun guy 5 7,639 10-30-2013 11:18 PM
Last Post: banpei
  7AGE to W58, cluth type? slowboy2 3 5,102 05-25-2013 01:37 PM
Last Post: slowboy2
  Type of carbs to suit 4ag kpretro84 23 21,325 02-09-2013 02:29 AM
Last Post: bakonick