corolla 1984 sr5
05-07-2007, 03:27 AM
corolla 1984 sr5
i was woundering if there would there be a diffrence between getting an ae86 clutch for my 84. I dont know if it would fit... also another question my clutch went out because i forgot to put liquid in the master cylinder so do you guys think i need to get a new clutch or there could be something else wrong with the clutch cable or something because it will not go into gear at all......
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-07-2007, 08:58 AM
corolla 1984 sr5
mailboxdinosour,

huh? tell us a little more about what exactly you have for a car Smile

If you have a manual transmission the only fluids involved is the hydrolic fluid between the master and slave pistons (or whatever they are called). If you do not have enough fluid in this you won't be able to fully release the clutch and it would be very hard to gear shift. You'd have to do some freaky stuff to get the clutch itself to go. Clutches go because of hi mileage or because you drive with the clutch half depressed all the time causing the clutch to slip.
Anyways, just fill up the fluid, bleed the system, and it should work again. Only thing is, if you've lost the fluid in the first place, you probably have a leak somewhere.

If you have a cable actuated clutch (not sure if this applies for SR5's) then there are no fluids involved at all. You only have oil for you engine, and oil for the gearbox itself. If you've run out of those, you'll probably have a different problem.

If you have an automatic gearbox then there is a 3rd fluid reservoir. I'm guessing how this works on a hachi a bit since I've NEVER worked on an automatic gearbox of a hachi, only on an automatic for a DeLorean.
Automatic gearboxes usually have a fluid clutch and the fluid in this will make it work. It however also has a double role for cooling the clutch.
Now if you run low on this fluid things start to get toasty.
You can be lucky and just top up the fluid and all works again. You can be unlucky and need a new clutch.
Whatever may be, again you probably have a leak somewhere that needs fixing.

My guess is though, you probably just need to fill up your hydrolic fluid for your clutch and all will be fine. Just make sure you find the leak and fix it (probably the slave piston, common problem it seems).

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HATCHBACK SR5 AND HATCHBACK GTS???? JVAE86 5 6,258 08-21-2010 09:34 PM
Last Post: banpei
  86 sr5 newbie HELP! ten86 4 4,991 04-27-2008 12:43 PM
Last Post: banpei
  4age 20v in a 1984 corolla sr5 mailboxdinosour 1 3,393 05-08-2007 02:36 AM
Last Post: mailboxdinosour
  1985 AE86 SR5 project- Don't have the time Ranix 5 5,579 09-01-2006 12:14 AM
Last Post: Mux213