camshafts
11-10-2004, 03:55 PM
camshafts
Tuning etc isn't the strong point of my knowledge, i just pick up on what others say. Anyawy, I have a set of 256 8.39 and 264 8.39 coming which should still work OK with the stock ECU. What else do i need to get the best from them, adjustable cam gears for fine tuning, bigger injectors to cope with the increased flow ?

Suggestions would be most welcome.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2004, 04:56 PM
camshafts
Damn...I wish I still had some sort of desk dyno software.. I could use the GT-suite software for a while, but the license from the racing team has expired.

Basically what you'd want with any upgrades to the engine is knowledge of what is happening inside the engine. I would highly recommend buying a cheap Wideband lambda setup to monitor AFR. Once you have a baseline and know where the car needs more fuel, then you can start tweaking the mixture. this can be done through a piggyback, fuelpressure regulator or other injectors, take your pick.
Cheap WBO2 sets are available from Tech edge or AEM, make sure to get one with a LOG function and possibilities to plugin a rpm and map/TPS signal!

Don't start by just throwing parts at the car! the list above is a pefect example of that. The exhaust is probably just fine, so is the head. Porting usually does more harm than good, its just masked by the fact that people make a lot of changes at once (aka power increase from cams).

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
Find all posts by this user
11-10-2004, 07:12 PM
camshafts
offcourse it's 8500,- a high price.. but Toda racing is very expensive stuf
i know that are much cheaper methods to come to 200hp..

Toyota Starlet 1994
Mitsubishi Space wagon 2.4 1999

ex Ae86 owner
11-11-2004, 01:57 AM
camshafts
buy a supercharger engine (nThere is one for sale on Marktplaats.nl!) and an (expensive) other pulley and 190 bhp should be possible.

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
11-11-2004, 04:12 PM
camshafts
Hmmz

Flowed head is always nice

first bore

81.5 with high compression pistons

bigger injectors and fuel pump will help increase

then you got a nice engine

though i think 265 won't get you at 160 bhp

NA engine is expensive to tune and goes up slowly

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
11-11-2004, 05:53 PM
camshafts
I believe that you have no clue of what you are talking about and just repeating what you heard from other people without a clue.

Without any motivation as to WHY a flowed head is always good (ludicrous!) your replies are pretty useless.

11-11-2004, 07:04 PM
camshafts
i`m working on a project for school and want to show what different kind of camshaft can do for your car.everything is static except for the camshafts.what i mean is i am gonna put my original 4age on a dynobench and then I got a nice graph of power and torque development.

Next i`m gonna put in other camshafts with a longer duration and a higher lift and again put it on the dyno.Then I have 2 nice graphs which give me some inportant information and answers.So that`s what i wanna do.So you might think "what a waste to buy 2 camshafts for a project" but hey I wanted to tune that thing anyway.

The only difference between the setups are the camshafts,everything else stays the same (standard air filter,head,exhaust and so on).

When the project is over i probably have an engine with not so much extra horsepower because if you only change the camshafts you won`t get much extra power unless you upgrade all other systems(intake,compression ratio,exhaust and so on).so after that I want to install carburettors or ITB and raise the compression,that`s about it.

I read at Billzilla`s site that you need camshaft around 272 degrees for 150 hp, so I want to put those in the standard setup.

Well now that i think about it, we can have a little quiz.How much horsepower do you think the standard 4age will gain with only other 272 degrees camshaft?Or do you think it doesn`t run at all?

It`s a 1984 corolla gt coupe with an AFM (124 hp?)

Any tips and help are welcome!
11-11-2004, 07:33 PM
camshafts
European AE86's usually dont have AFM's, you sure it's not MAP?
BTW, I expect your engine to run with those cams, you might have to fiddle with the idle settings though. If experienced guys like bill sherwood say it will run on a stock ECU with duration up to 272, then it probably will.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-11-2004, 07:34 PM
camshafts
Ok some tips for your project, but I think you will know them already. What sort of study are we talking about? HTS autotechniek?

1. Just changing the cams doesn't work You are changing the VE curve of the engine so I'm guessing thats what you are really interested in?

2. Changes in VE curve demand changes in the mapping. A MAP setup should handle these changes quite adequately until it runs out of its map area. So the question becomes how much extra room there is in the original mapping.

3. If you are running a std ECU then I'm hoping you are running WBO2, EGT and knock sensor checks on the engine. You do realise that a lean running engine is a possible time bomb. Safety first!

To be honest the power graphs wouldn't mean anything. I would like to see VE curves and a lambda plot. Otherwise the only thing you would be investigating is the effect on a 4age engine running said engine management combined with that brand of cams. Not the overall effect of cams on a engine.

11-11-2004, 08:06 PM
camshafts
NoHachi Wrote:Ok some tips for your project, but I think you will know them already. What sort of study are we talking about? HTS autotechniek?

1. Just changing the cams doesn't work You are changing the VE curve of the engine so I'm guessing thats what you are really interested in?

2. Changes in VE curve demand changes in the mapping. A MAP setup should handle these changes quite adequately until it runs out of its map area. So the question becomes how much extra room there is in the original mapping.

3. If you are running a std ECU then I'm hoping you are running WBO2, EGT and knock sensor checks on the engine. You do realise that a lean running engine is a possible time bomb. Safety first!

To be honest the power graphs wouldn't mean anything. I would like to see VE curves and a lambda plot. Otherwise the only thing you would be investigating is the effect on a 4age engine running said engine management combined with that brand of cams. Not the overall effect of cams on a engine.

WBO2 = wide band O2 (oxygen) sensor
EGT = Exhaugt gas temperature
VE = Dumb question Dumb question

It`s for a profielwerkstuk Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4AGE camshafts (again) Alex170984 26 27,185 03-19-2013 02:41 PM
Last Post: Alex170984
  What camshafts would be nice? PatrickAE86 44 36,866 08-25-2010 01:06 PM
Last Post: Uzelac
  9.5mm lift camshafts with OEM followers... anyone? apardal 9 8,328 10-15-2008 03:24 PM
Last Post: robokill
  4A-GE with 264ยบ HKS Camshafts running very rich apardal 23 41,618 12-09-2006 12:28 AM
Last Post: ZDoman
  New camshafts for 4age -> 160hp harkes 14 13,198 12-31-2005 08:39 AM
Last Post: BenR