a lil help :D
01-28-2007, 01:18 AM
hey guys well i finally sold my fc and bought me a 86 hatch sr5 and yea i juss wanted to knoe what a good setup would be for daily driving / drift for my hachi 1st time owner so juss wanna do it right . any advice would help thx
Find all posts by this user
01-28-2007, 08:12 AM
Well, to let you know, the sr5 version of the hatchi doesn't have a limited slip diff. Only the GTS came with that. Also the engine is quite underpowered at about 60-70 hp.

This is what I am doing, I bought a 4AGE 20v silvertop (from AE101.) And I am going to put it in, with quite a few mods, etc. to raise the power, later I will find a GTS axle to put into the car. Thats just a few things I will do to mine, I could write a story of what I'm planning to do but whatever you want to do could be completly different.

For the engine you could find a 4AGE from a GTS 86 to drop in. I've even seen 86's with rotary. its your choice.

so to make a long post short, find what you want to do, then do it. Tongue

main points for drift, drivetrain, suspension, engine, and anything else im sure the experts will correct me on. :wink:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-28-2007, 08:13 AM
Oh yeah, and dont forget to post your project on the site Tongue
01-28-2007, 12:43 PM
FCEE,

There has been a lot of discussion about suspension in the technical forum so you best start reading there. This thread has alot of info:
http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/ksport-wh...eap/t/4219
This one as well:
http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/ae86/t/983

Also check out the Tech FAQ on the front page about suspensions:
http://www.aeu86.org/index/ae86/cat/9/to...post=58122

And as evfan mentioned, you have an SR5 so you'll need to find a GTS rear axle so you have LSD or can install a better 2way LSD. There isn't one available for the SR5 axle.

Last but not least, get better engineBig Grin Also loads of threads on the forum about swapping engines.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
02-08-2007, 03:55 AM
Im in a slightly different boat with my ae85 (even lower standard than sr5 Dumb question ) but i found this write up very useful:

http://forums.toyspeed.org.nz/viewtopic.php?t=46779

Hope you don't mind me linking to another site's thread...
02-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Owh nice thread!

No, I see no problem in linking to other sites. We're all one big happy familyBig Grin

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

02-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Good, i didnt want to get in trouble! Tongue

Doing the swap from the 4ac is basically the same as from 3au; they are both patheticly slow carbied engines.
02-09-2007, 11:51 PM
first things first, if you can find a gts rear end w/ lsd you're half way there. and be sure to grab the driveshaft with it as well. if not, see about getting your sr5 diff welded. it'll be better than nothing. as for the weaker 4ac carbed engine, it may still be ok for at least getting you use to the the feel of the car. it's possible the car may bog when in mid drift (after you've gotten an lsd or welded diff of course!) due to the factory carb. but get yourself into a better differential situation and THEN try drifting. Thumbs up!

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - a lil help :D]
"Strictly All Things 86"
02-18-2007, 04:34 AM
cool thanks guys well yea the cars running fine sr5's a monster lol still running i mean by that i juss recently put sea foam in it its bo0ty full wit sum royal purple oil everythings coo juss saving money for a 4agze motor but since the 4agze is mr will it take a lot of fabrications ? any ADVICE ON A GOOD ENGINE FOR MY 86 . ANY SUGGESTIONS OF WHAT TYPE AND WHERE I CAN ORDER IT
02-18-2007, 11:37 AM
FCEE,

Shouldn't you change your sig ?Big Grin

The 4AGZE mates with the T50 tranny in your SR5 and the tranny should be the same as in the GTS so should hold up unless you go crazy on the HP. Also engine mounting points you should be able to mix and match some things with the old engine (allthough thats mostly what I remember reading about a GTS -> 4AGZE swap so not fully sure about the SR5).

Your main problem will be all the bits around the engine, fuel system, intercooler piping, that sorta thing. The technical document section on club4ag should still be up and running and contains a good document about the GTS to AGZE swap.
There is also a good document there about other engine choices.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij