Zenki two door Trueno from Japan
06-02-2018, 09:53 PM
Thanks @decryphe and @oldskull!
Yes after 35 years the rubbery paint lets go of the metal and it just looks horrible. It's really difficult to remove that stuff entirely, otherwise I would have gone for that path...

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Zenki two door Trueno from Japan]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-03-2018, 06:12 PM
Oh, some happy driving had been done. I am so happy for you.

As for the window trims, I need to repaint mines, too. So you video is most appreciated. Thank you very much.
06-15-2018, 10:31 PM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2018 09:28 PM by banpei.)
And here are parts two and three of the window moulding videos.
Part two, cleaning and painting:

Part three, fitting the mouldings back to the hachi:

I got a question regarding my choice for spray paint:
Quote:There is obviously a big improvement. But i was wondering why you didn´t just go to a powder coating shop and let them sort the problem ? Powder coating would be amazing for this application, at least i like to think so. They would chemically remove all the leftover paint and then apply the powder coating either in plain or shiny black.
I toyed with that option as well, but I wanted to do it DIY and this cost me about 10 euros and 10 hours of my time. I reckoned that if I would mess it up really badly I could always have it done professionally. So I might go for that option in the future as I'm not 100% happy with the end result.
In the end I'm probably going to look for a good set of the mouldings and fit that, but since these cars are 35 years old that will be quite difficult to find. So if that doesn't work out I'll probably powder coat them.

Also a video about restoring the dashboard is coming up...

06-17-2018, 11:31 AM
A lot of the parts are still available from Toyota. Just a few of the corner pieces are out of stock.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
06-19-2018, 08:32 AM
In my experience the typical Motip spraypaint will crack badly within about a year out in the sun. I painted my window wipers with that stuff and added clearcoat.. stayed nice for about 6 months and went downhill from there.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
06-19-2018, 10:13 PM
(06-19-2018 08:32 AM)Ivan141 Wrote:  In my experience the typical Motip spraypaint will crack badly within about a year out in the sun. I painted my window wipers with that stuff and added clearcoat.. stayed nice for about 6 months and went downhill from there.
So, any idea what is actually good stuff?
Find all posts by this user
06-20-2018, 08:27 AM
For this type of stuff epoxy based paint comes to mind. I have a couple of mix-in-the-can 2k spraycans (Spraymax) that I'm yet to try that I have high hopes for, but those are potentially very hazardous to your health without decent breathing protection. Also, you have to use up the entire can in one go because the next day it will have reacted to a solid mass, which is why I still havent tried it...shame to waste expensive paint.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
06-21-2018, 08:27 AM
The Trueno is garaged all the time, so I'm not that afraid it will happen that quickly. But it definitely is something I need to address in the future. Wink

@Nakilad: Thanks, I'll have a look and see what's available. Thumbs up!

09-07-2018, 08:31 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2018 08:39 PM by banpei.)
Not a whole lot of progress on the hachi lately: I've been busy with vacation and selling my house. However today I made a little bit of time to polish two of the Yokohama Almex Y3B rims I bought a year ago. They weren't that bad: the lip was still in excellent condition, but the center was suffering from slight corrosion.

On the left the unpolished rim and on the right the finished one:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Zenki two door Trueno from Japan][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Zenki two door Trueno from Japan]
I'm fairly happy with the result: the center looks much better, but they could do with a nice fresh layer of paint as well. Once the other two have been polished I can finally mount some tires on them.

This is what the 13 inch variant looks like on a hachi:
Mine are 14 inch, so I expect a much nicer fitment. And if it doesn't work out as planned, I can always fit them to my Carina! Big Grin

I also noticed the lug nuts have an angled hole in them. I found out that they are at a 60 degree angle on the Yokohama site. I probably could have found fitting lug nuts here in Europe, but with the partnumber from Yokohama I found a cheap set for sale on Rakuten and ordered the M12x1.5P variant: [Image: AEU86 AE86 - Zenki two door Trueno from Japan]
Probably I'll cry once I get to see the price of shipping, but at least I'll have the correct length of lug nuts. It probably would look horrible with the long lugnuts I have on the hachi right now... Wink

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

09-22-2018, 12:35 PM
Hello!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wanted: JDM zenki trueno bumper (with JDM bumper lights) gh0st 0 1,750 10-07-2021 04:08 PM
Last Post: gh0st
  THE STORY! - Endurance Racing a Prelude Spec S in Japan! Miguel - Newera 3 5,671 08-26-2009 02:43 PM
Last Post: Kid Karola
  AE86 two door 1987. in restoration, in Iceland UPDATE olithor 12 19,508 08-08-2009 12:36 PM
Last Post: rs1800
  My new AE86 Levin in Japan Mr Doricar 9 10,887 04-07-2008 02:01 AM
Last Post: Mr Doricar