Why Manual Steering Rack ?? Power Steering Removal
05-08-2010, 06:28 AM
When doing this swap your SUPPOSED to use the AE86 inner & outer tie rod ends.

This is the 'usual' formula (parts necessary):

AW11 rack
AE86 inner/outer tie rod ends
MK3 supra intermediate shaft
T3 bushing for manual swap OR make brackets for pass side.

Andrew
Find all posts by this user
05-08-2010, 06:36 AM
assassin10000 Wrote:When doing this swap your SUPPOSED to use the AE86 inner & outer tie rod ends.

This is the 'usual' formula (parts necessary):

AW11 rack
AE86 inner/outer tie rod ends
MK3 supra intermediate shaft
T3 bushing for manual swap OR make brackets for pass side.

Andrew

Got it. - Should I open up the rack at all? It seems pretty good, don't think I need to rebuild or mess with it. I have new inner and outer rods. I am thinking just putting them on then putting on the rack without opening it up. Thoughts??
05-08-2010, 11:30 AM
If it feels okay to you, then don't open it up. You'll just create more trouble if you open it since then you need to rebuild the thing again.
Steering racks are not fast-wearing items, so chances are it will be fine.
The only steering rack that ever gave me trouble was a volvo item that had some play on the outer (plastic) guide bushings, but I never noticed such problems on AE86 racks since I have been working on them (8 years and counting).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-18-2010, 04:41 AM
I am getting ready to swap in a manual AW11 rack into my AE86. I have taken off the inner and out tie rods and will install new AE86 inners and outers.

My question is, since I have the tie rods off, can I turn the pinon and push the rack all the way out to clean it and re-grease it? I don't want to take out the pinion or mess with the rack at all. I was just wondering if I can slide the rack out then slide it back in without any issues?

As I said, I just want to clean and re-grease it. Thoughts??
05-19-2010, 10:33 AM
It won't come all the way out unless you remove the pinion gear. But you can turn it as far as you want by hand either way to clean it if you want. In one direction you will get a spot where the pinion will just spin and the rack gear will have an inch or two of play as there is a spot with no teeth on the rack gear.

When lubing use molybdenum grease (as per toyota).

Andrew
06-07-2010, 04:13 PM
awesome thread

to makes things clear i have a manual rack ae86 that is failing as it can turn left with no probs but turning right gets really hard ( this is done when te wheels are off the ground) can i put in a aw11 into my ae86 as both are non ps what changes would need to be done as aw11 racks are cheaper

alex
10-02-2014, 06:07 PM
*Revive* .....CLEAR! *beep.....beep.....beep.....*

Hi everyone,

I have managed to pick up, not only an AW11 Rack but also the entire column Smile
I know you need to use the UJ from the AW11 but can the shaft also be of use?

I know about the PS Tie Inner/Outer tie rods and the T3 (GP4 Fabrications in Ireland also produce them Wink ) adapter bush but wasn't sure if I could use the AW11 shaft would be useful.

Does anyone have part numbers for the inner/outer PS tie rods or have a UK 86 registration I could take to a motorfactors?

Cheers,
Matt

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4AGE cylinder head plug removal Ivan141 5 1,071 09-30-2023 09:47 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  20 Valve Blacktop smoking after engine flush - why? RolanTHUNDER 2 817 11-30-2022 12:09 PM
Last Post: RolanTHUNDER
  Sill removal totta Crolla 3 1,296 09-14-2022 06:30 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Wanted: 3-rib engine repair manual Ivan141 6 1,774 09-09-2022 07:46 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Power steering clunk Jezza_hr 12 13,470 09-24-2021 01:42 PM
Last Post: pack