Why Manual Steering Rack ?? Power Steering Removal
05-01-2010, 12:06 AM
Okay, picked up my free AW11 MR2 today. So I have a manual rack and u-joint.

So basically all I need is a MK3 Supra intermediate shaft (or mod the AE86 shaft) and I should be able to complete the swap, correct? Nothing else needed?

Also, I haven't looked yet but where can I get a MK3 Supra intermediate shaft?
Find all posts by this user
05-01-2010, 02:35 AM
Did neither of you read my post...

Alex-evo, you do need to modify it as the cross member off a PS rack doesnt fit manual rack, so you need different poly bushes made or purchased. Also the shaft in the steering column is now too short. So that needs to be modified or replaced.

Juan, the u-joints are basically the same, so use either one. You dont need a MK3 intermediate shaft, you need ANY shaft thats a bit longer, like off the more common KE70 etc. And its not all thats needed, you need the bushes as well unless you are swapping the whole cross member over.
05-01-2010, 03:35 AM
4000GT Wrote:Did neither of you read my post...

Alex-evo, you do need to modify it as the cross member off a PS rack doesnt fit manual rack, so you need different poly bushes made or purchased. Also the shaft in the steering column is now too short. So that needs to be modified or replaced.

Juan, the u-joints are basically the same, so use either one. You dont need a MK3 intermediate shaft, or need ANY shaft thats a bit longer, like off the more common KE70 etc. And its not all thats needed, you need the bushes as well unless you are swapping the whole cross member over.

Okay, so a longer intermediate shaft such as mk3 or KE70; and bushings such as these http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/pro...prod=18702

Shaft, bushings and AW11 rack
05-01-2010, 03:50 AM
http://www.technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=112

No you cant use the manual bushes because the clamps are different. You need thicker bushes that adapt the manual rack to the PS cross member.
05-01-2010, 04:18 AM
4000GT Wrote:http://www.technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=112

No you cant use the manual bushes because the clamps are different. You need thicker bushes that adapt the manual rack to the PS cross member.

Can I use the brackets off the AW11, then just get some manual AW11 bushings? Or do I have to use the AE86 PS brackets and get the T3 bushings?

Is there any benefit to swapping over the whole cross member?
05-01-2010, 04:43 AM
No the brackets are different, you cant use them. Different size.

Yes benefit of swapping over whole cross member means you dont need to use the difference bushes, you can use the stock ones.
05-01-2010, 05:21 AM
Does anyone know if the PS AE86 rack will swap into the AW11? Because I was thinking about taking the rack and possibly cross member, then if I could put the AE86 stuff in the AW11 I would just sell it.
05-01-2010, 12:22 PM
It probably wont fit since the brackets are too small and you'd need a shorter steering shaft.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-06-2010, 02:41 AM
Where can I get an MKIII or E70 intermediate shaft? I tried the supra forums and car-part.com with no luck yet. Any advice?
05-08-2010, 01:13 AM
I pulled the steering rack from the AW11 today. The inner and outer tie rod ends are rusted, but it seems like it is easy to replace the inner ends. Anyone have advice on this or links to the AW11 manual?

The rack looks and feels good. I think I will just replace the ends and install it. Should I open it up at all, or if it feels good, go with it??

Also, should I just use the AW11 tie rod ends or can/should I use AE86 tie rod ends? Will they thread on far enough since it seems the AW11 inner ends are longer.

Quick note. You cannot swap the cross member over as suggested above. It is a totally different setup. The AE86 cross member has the engine mounts on it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4AGE cylinder head plug removal Ivan141 5 1,169 09-30-2023 09:47 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  20 Valve Blacktop smoking after engine flush - why? RolanTHUNDER 2 863 11-30-2022 12:09 PM
Last Post: RolanTHUNDER
  Sill removal totta Crolla 3 1,359 09-14-2022 06:30 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Wanted: 3-rib engine repair manual Ivan141 6 1,865 09-09-2022 07:46 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Power steering clunk Jezza_hr 12 13,587 09-24-2021 01:42 PM
Last Post: pack