Which is the best setup for grip??
08-14-2007, 10:10 PM
Apolan Wrote:One more thing i dont agree totally with is "Driver - non important". We all know a saying "practice makes perfect"... but i think only "perfect practice makes perfect". So it is important what you are doing behind the wheel - that you learn race properly.. it is like that in everything. Any tennis player will tell you how difficult it is to unlearn those bad shots/movements once you "mastered" them.

As I understand it earlier with "driver" everybody was thinking about "driving skill" (maybe I misunderstood). I think your current driving skill is not important in case You want to improove your driving. "learn drive properly" is something different and newbies may have this quality. And I agree, "learn drive properly" is important.

I was trying to keep things simple. For example, why nobody mentioned "good teacher"? Or he is not important to improove Your driving?

p.s. to become a proper racing driver In Latvia You need: racing car, safety gear (helmet etc.) and licence (You need to know rules and regulations). Driving skill isn't a requirement Thumbs up! Wave
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-14-2007, 11:47 PM
gt99 Wrote:
Apolan Wrote:One more thing i dont agree totally with is "Driver - non important". We all know a saying "practice makes perfect"... but i think only "perfect practice makes perfect". So it is important what you are doing behind the wheel - that you learn race properly.. it is like that in everything. Any tennis player will tell you how difficult it is to unlearn those bad shots/movements once you "mastered" them.

As I understand it earlier with "driver" everybody was thinking about "driving skill" (maybe I misunderstood). I think your current driving skill is not important in case You want to improove your driving. "learn drive properly" is something different and newbies may have this quality. And I agree, "learn drive properly" is important.

I was trying to keep things simple. For example, why nobody mentioned "good teacher"? Or he is not important to improove Your driving?

p.s. to become a proper racing driver In Latvia You need: racing car, safety gear (helmet etc.) and licence (You need to know rules and regulations). Driving skill isn't a requirement Thumbs up! Wave

YEAH, I just posted the idea for me to undestand the best setup for grip for fun and security reasons!!!! I just have experience WITH FRONT WHEEL CARS, AND HELLL IT IS DIFFERENT.
Find all posts by this user
08-15-2007, 08:36 AM
Not different at all :wink: Its the exact same principles, think about it:
You want to keep all 4 tires planted as best as possible
You want the steering wheels to grip at turn in and the powered wheels to grab at corner exit.

Do that successfully and you have a working grip setup. Good drift setups are exactly the same, the only points where they differ is in the tweaking..not in the various parts they use.

Anyway, lets approach this differently:
What is it that you want? Understand the principles behind grip setups and grip driving or a shopping list?

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
08-15-2007, 11:09 AM
and while at it, maybe somebody can move this post to a more appropriate section (track related).
08-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Apolan Wrote:and while at it, maybe somebody can move this post to a more appropriate section (track related).
LOL Big Grin
Moved the topic to track-related. Wink

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Which is the best setup for grip??]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2008, 10:44 PM
To resurrect this old thread, I can say after some experimentation that a good set up for grip is one where the back of the car is lower than the front,mine is now 1" lower at the back and is quite soft. Front springs 300lb rear springs 220lb Standard front and rear anti roll bars. 1.5 degrees neg camber front, 3 degrees castor, zero toe.
I think many people ar guilty of 'over adjusting' because they can. e.g 4 degrees camber and 450lb front springs just makes the car understeer.
Anyway this may be of use to someone..... wish it was here a year ago !!

An analogue brain in a digital World

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Grip/ Proffrsional Track Coilovers hachirokkos 15 17,402 10-15-2016 08:26 PM
Last Post: NoHachi
  My grip trackday footage with my 86 makkuro 1 4,726 03-09-2012 10:08 AM
Last Post: makkuro
  Speed Industries Grip und Drift Trackday 14.10.10 AdR speed-inc 1 3,942 09-12-2010 11:43 PM
Last Post: speed-inc
  rear suspension setup legend 21 23,157 03-24-2009 08:46 PM
Last Post: panda_tureno86
  Speed Industries Drift&Grip Trackdays Anneau du Rhin 08 speed-inc 16 15,896 07-28-2008 07:13 PM
Last Post: speed-inc