What is normal and low caster in Cusco camber plates??
05-19-2011, 08:20 PM
Hi mates, anybody knows what is the difference between "low caster (3'30") and normal caster (4'30") Cusco camber plates"?

Change the height?

Thanks

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - What is normal and low cast...r plates??]
Find all posts by this user
05-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Probably front-aft position of the topmount hole. If you put it more to the back it will give more positive camber. Never knew they made 2 types.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-20-2011, 12:51 AM
There are 2 kinds of top mouts, the normal one and these(usually more expensive), which can be set to low castor:

Maybe thats what you´re looking for???

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86
05-20-2011, 01:11 AM
The SR5 w/ps had 4 deg camber tops, the GTS or SR5 w/manual steering had 3 deg camber tops here in the states (actual alignment settings varied from 3.5 to 2.5 deg caster dependant on setup). Came that way stock.

Cusco just made the 2 versions. The picture above is a 3rd version which is also height adjustable, low caster (pushed towards the front of the car). They may even be discontinued now, I haven't checked.

High caster = more stable at speed, slightly harder to turn, and better turn in when running low camber... as when the wheel turns it will camber along the steering axis.

Low caster = less stable, easier to turn (good for manual racks) and may require more static camber for desired turn in... or you may not notice a difference.

For drifting I prefer low caster.

Andrew
05-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Stupid question:
I´m having trouble with "high and low castor", I guess you´re talking about high or low castor angle on the positive castor side, but I´m confused now, what you wrote about high castor is what I allways thought aplies to running lower positive castor (or even neg. castor).

Same for what you called low castor, isn´t that what running more positive castor does?

I´m going to get a wheel alignment, and swapped for adjustable tension rods, so this is veeeery important for me to understand it Smile

Thanks!

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86
05-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Andrew means high caster as more positive caster.

As far as better turn in is concerned I disagree in terms of taking only steering as a factor. Turning in may require more or less steering angle depending on too many other factors, so dynamic-steering camber may or may not be a considerable factor during turn in. Dynamic camber due to bump or roll is in my opinion more important, especially in mcpherson setups. For instance, during turn in there is braking, hence bump, so increase in negative camber.

Of course all this is given that we are talking about an adjusted roll stiffness and static camber for a given turn at grip's limit during corner entry (braking and cornering acceleration sum).

So, I would say that less positive caster provides more turn in, because by using less caster you reduce stability, so when braking the car is jerkier and can turn-in using less steering, allowing to keep static camber at a better (more negative perhaps) adjustment for the given corner. Of course it depends on many many other factors, first of all being the corner itself!

Hmm... I may just have opened a big conversation.... Big Grin

SFD
12-06-2015, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2015 03:34 PM by ditn.)
age old bump,but which of the two would be best for rally/street.
Not for drift.

low caster (3'30") and normal caster (4'30") Cusco camber plates"
12-06-2015, 07:56 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2015 07:58 PM by Deuce Cam.)
On my current setup I prefer the high caster oem strut top mounts. It's a street car and I don't drift. This was mainly after switching back to manual steering knuckles though. (Steering on center felt a little mute with the manual steer mounts and knuckles, even with a quaife qsr.) I didn't mind the low caster oem manual steer strut mounts (or camber plates, most are low caster) when I had power steering knuckles. Fwiw I don't run the tension rods anywhere near maxed out (around 3.3-3.5* now) to keep angles/tension on the lca bushings reasonable since I like to run a rubber or poly bushings. I also run low camber around -1 to -1.5*.

It's all preference though imo.
12-08-2015, 09:07 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2015 09:15 AM by ditn.)
UThanks for info.
Currently i have top mounts from manual steering
T3 outer tie rods
T3 power steering knuckles

Will be installing a quick rack next
Which of 2 do you think would work best then?
Dont want to buy both sets Smile

I will check today which topmounts i have to be sure

High caster ones are 4 30 low caster ones are 3 30
01-07-2016, 02:56 AM
Sorry I forgot about this.

Hard to say since I never tried the high caster top mounts with manual rack and power knuckles.

I felt the power steering knuckles, low caster top mounts, and power steer knuckles (same length as t3) felt a bit twitchy at motorway speed (manual rack always does somewhat though), But it was very responsive in terms of steering input. Maybe it was the alignment. I had -1 camber, 3* caster, and 0 zero toe with that combo.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TRD Short Shifter Rattle Noise, It's Normal? Mattolo 12 16,706 02-07-2024 10:45 PM
Last Post: AlexKTM
  Cusco Powerball Headers on a NA 4AGE 16V? JDMitch 11 18,887 05-01-2021 10:09 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Silver top low idle AlexFourTwenty 7 9,203 10-16-2017 10:22 PM
Last Post: AlexFourTwenty
  Camber adjustment vs original struts Lt86 9 8,568 05-07-2015 09:45 PM
Last Post: zenki
  Oil cooler -> low oil pressure Jan Pedersen 24 28,042 06-06-2013 07:36 PM
Last Post: Deuce Cam