What do people think of the A90 Supra?
05-25-2019, 10:52 PM
So there's been some reports on the car now, what do people here think?

Personally, I'm very disappointed that Toyota went to BMW for parts (did BMW get some Toyota turn signals in exchange?). I understand that Toyota want to save money, but if Toyota can't afford tooling for a new car then no one can.
I think its good that they've revived the Supra name because there did seem to be a shortage of sporty models in the range in recent years, so it will be fun to see what some of the tuners in Japan can do with the car.

Seriously though, BMW? Maybe we could just do the world a favour and set fire to every Supra as it leaves the production line.
Find all posts by this user
05-26-2019, 12:50 AM
Using the Supra name on a rebadged BMW is just.... lame ! Banging head
Seriously they could have use the same strategy they did years ago with the Altezza / IS200. It's not like they don't have options from the Lexus catalogue...

But, lets face it, Toyota don't give a sh*t anymore about sport car, all they care about is premium hybrid. They only released a "Supra" because people begged for it.

For me, the era of cool cars died with the 20th century...
05-27-2019, 10:22 AM
Meh ist's a BMW Z4... not that it is a bad car, it's just no Supra.
Im on Project D's opinion with this Toyota seems to abadoned the premium sports car sector for now.

Daily Beater: Civic EG5
Work in progress Car: AE86
05-27-2019, 03:02 PM
(05-25-2019 10:52 PM)Power_uP Wrote:  So there's been some reports on the car now, what do people here think?

Personally, I'm very disappointed that Toyota went to BMW for parts (did BMW get some Toyota turn signals in exchange?). I understand that Toyota want to save money, but if Toyota can't afford tooling for a new car then no one can.
I think its good that they've revived the Supra name because there did seem to be a shortage of sporty models in the range in recent years, so it will be fun to see what some of the tuners in Japan can do with the car.

Seriously though, BMW? Maybe we could just do the world a favour and set fire to every Supra as it leaves the production line.

I think not only the cost of 'tooling for a new car', but also a new factory for an in-line 6, along with the associated design / testing costs of that engine, made the option of partnering up with someone much more viable.

For my opinion, I think the BMW 6 is a good motor, and I think the Toyota / BMW versions will handle and preform quite differently. Who else would you go to for a in-line 6?
05-27-2019, 04:36 PM
I'm not too bothered about the BMW driveline, it probably performs better out of the box than the 2JZ did in it's day, and tuning 1000hp engines
is something everyone seems hot and bothered about, but very little people actually do (most just like the idea that it's possible).
I couldnt afford to buy one of these even in 10 y.o. used shape so I dont give a rats arse either way.
Do think they should have done a better job in the looks department.. I miss the days when japanese car makers put out clean designs instead of the
gundam-wing inspired oddities that you see these days (Supra not too bad compared to the Honda CTR or Toyota CRH but still)....

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-27-2019, 05:09 PM
As far as I know Toyota reingeered quite a few parts engine and suspension wise as they didn't meet their expectations.
A recent dyno test also resulted in quite a bit more power an torque than what they puplished.
Personally I don't fancy the look so much and would rather opt for an LC-F

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

AE86 ex-daily
05-27-2019, 06:02 PM
(05-27-2019 04:36 PM)Ivan141 Wrote:  I'm not too bothered about the BMW driveline, it probably performs better out of the box than the 2JZ did in it's day, and tuning 1000hp engines
is something everyone seems hot and bothered about, but very little people actually do (most just like the idea that it's possible).
I couldnt afford to buy one of these even in 10 y.o. used shape so I dont give a rats arse either way.
Do think they should have done a better job in the looks department.. I miss the days when japanese car makers put out clean designs instead of the
gundam-wing inspired oddities that you see these days (Supra not too bad compared to the Honda CTR or Toyota CRH but still)....

I think you're absolutely spot on about people liking the idea of 1000+hp, more than they actually like experience of tuning to that level. I've argued with people before about how most drivers would get themselves killed or in a lot of trouble with more than 400hp anyway. And I also think Toyota could have done better with the exterior design as the A90 doesn't look like it will ever be a beautiful classic like a 240z or a 2000gt.

I know that people said they wanted a straight-six engine, but would anyone really have cared if Toyota had put something else in the car? Sometimes you can give customers exactly what they asked for, but they turn it down anyway. I think that as long as the engine was solid and powerful enough, they could get away with a 3-cylinder Daihatsu engine (yes I'm exaggerating, but you know what I mean).
05-27-2019, 08:52 PM
(05-27-2019 06:02 PM)Power_uP Wrote:  I think that as long as the engine was solid and powerful enough, they could get away with a 3-cylinder Daihatsu engine (yes I'm exaggerating, but you know what I mean).
I'd been much happier if they got something that has a stick shift. Apparently they don't want to get one from BMW.
05-28-2019, 09:00 PM
Let's face it: it's great that Toyota wants to continue selling sports cars, so the A90 Supra is a great move to do that. Just like the GT86/BRZ it's a joint effort between two car manufacturers. Howeever unlike the GT86/BRZ that is mostly Toyota, the new Supra is mostly BMW and that saddens people.

Personally I think it's looking great, but hearing the prices for Australia in yesterdays Unicorn Circuit made my heart sink. The GT-S model is selling for well over 100K AUD, which well over 60K Euro. With all the environmental taxes it would be well over 100K euro here in the Netherlands, so I don't think many would be sold here.

Also this review by Engineering Explained sums up the views of many:

It's a great car, it's a great engineering feat, the Supra is super fast and has a lot of potential... However it can't beat the GT86 in the fun factor! Big Grin

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - What do people think of the A90 Supra?]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  do you think this is worth it? TANDERSON 3 4,819 10-05-2011 08:51 PM
Last Post: TANDERSON
  To Dutch people... Rasteirinho 8 7,387 07-06-2008 02:37 AM