What brand of street shocks do you have?
01-20-2007, 07:17 PM
nope i never did becouse this was good for circuit use and drifting an i have my MR2 for street use.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - What brand of street shocks do you have?]

Toyota MR2 2.0 16V Gen3 Turbo
Toyota MR2 1.6 16V
Toyota Corolla GTZ Twincam 1.6 16V (AE86) (Sold. Crying )
Toyota Corolla GT Twincam 1.6 16V (My new project Smile )
Find all posts by this user
01-20-2007, 07:56 PM
Ah ok, sorta figures..

I would play around with it though, experiment. I think you'll find out that softening them can change the handling of your car for better and for worse.

Can't remember exactly anymore, something about tightening the rear and softening the front to make the car more likely to oversteer? Not sure, could be the other way around...

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
01-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Stiff rear end with soft(er) front tends to oversteer. That's how I like it... Smile

1987 Toyota Corolla GT coupe - for holidays oversteer
2005 Toyota Corolla - for daily understeer
01-20-2007, 08:23 PM
jup thats the theory. and contrary for rebound. more rebound rear - understeer/better rear grip.
01-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Nopes, most adjusters only affect rebound. More rear rebound = quicker rear weight transfer VS front ==more corner entry oversteer.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
01-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Really? hmm.. its not how i got it. Confused When you go into a corner, you slow down, weight shifts forward, the rear rebound pushes the rear wheels to the ground. The stronger the rebound more/quicker it pushes the wheels to the ground, thus creating more rear grip, thus car having less initial oversteer. No? Please explain.. Confused

Heres what i found on club 4ag:

Quote:Reducing roll speed with shocks can eliminate the suddenness that the car falls into oversteer. By working on the rebound side of the rear shocks, you can reduce the lift at the rear and stiffening the compression side at front should keep the rear planted to do its job. All this until you reach the desired cornering attitude predictably.

http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_...mpers.html
01-20-2007, 10:05 PM
Haha, if only it was so simple..nothing gets pushed anywhere by anything but springs. Dampers HOLD stuff in a certain position. In your case, the change is 80% due to the increased front compression.

Read this: http://www.smithees-racetech.com.au/theo...tune1.html

Its a nice and confusing introduction to the world of shock tuning. However there are flaws! Remember that when a car has not settled into its springs, the only force that rebound can work with is the unsprung weight (tires rims axle) ...not a lot. So rebound adjustments will have less influence during corner entry.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
01-20-2007, 10:21 PM
i didnt mean that shocks push, but allow springs to extend quicker. dont worry i've seen a shock before Big Grin But this is how i understood the article on club4ag. Faster rebound - more traction uppon lifting sprung weight, coz of the unsprung weight /wheels) extending quicker to the ground...

I will read this hopefully it will get clearer for me. Tnx for the help.
01-21-2007, 12:21 AM
Mux213 Wrote:For the rear, I heard about the Camaro option but I also heard some changes are needed because the Camaro shocks don't fit directly onto the hachi's rear axle. But they indeed are supposed to be the right lenght for short stroke.

I actually asked that same question as I took shock body sizes/lengths/mountings into account when asking questions of the guy at KONI. According to him the only thing you have to do to fit the mustang or camaro rear shock is remove the unnecessary metal sleeve from the center of the lower shock eye/bushing. The rear shock mounting on the rear ae86 axle has it's own 'smooth' sleeve type extension for the bushing to slide on as opposed to the american cars that use a seperate metal sleeve and long bolt. (the sleeve being there to protect the bushing from damage/wear due to the bolt threads)

Andrew
01-29-2007, 02:09 AM
Checked into the Koni yellows, OUCH. Almost $500 compared to $300 for the Bilsteins and $145 for the KYB. I'll see if I can get KYB or TRD to comment on the rumor that TRD's are just KYB's with another label stuck on them.

$500 for four hydraulic cylinders, ROFL. At that price I'd expect them to be hand made, hand balanced, and gold plated on the rods and seals to prevent corrosion. Well, OK, the adjustable bits that I don't want must be part of that cost. Still...UGH.

In the construciton industry they routinely rebuild hydraulic equipment (new o-rings, new fluids, etc.) as normal maintenance, the same way we change spark plugs and oil. In the car industry...Shocks are a holy mystery, and a damned expensive one at that. I'm getting damned tempted to just pull my shocks and take them down to a hydraulic shop, probably cost me $100 to get all four made into brand new OEM shocks again, and painted shiny Caterpillar Yellow too.<G>

Original owner, 1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S in the US of A. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150 or a Ford GT44.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best thing I have done to my car yet! phill 92 7 6,988 07-16-2012 02:19 PM
Last Post: gt4st205
  How much did you paid for you TOYOTA AE86??? kennedy8383 11 10,970 09-07-2011 09:16 PM
Last Post: fax0815
  say what ! ... a must have to your collection! ae86driftmaster 7 7,649 09-21-2010 06:49 PM
Last Post: ae86driftmaster
  DO you KNOW this BRAND? sergiocharged 3 3,691 11-08-2009 06:55 AM
Last Post: sergiocharged
  street legeal tenshi240 4 4,599 06-23-2008 10:43 PM
Last Post: Bubble_Drift