What brand of street shocks do you have?
01-18-2007, 03:44 AM
Mux, if I make a mistake with shocks...it's not quite the same thing as a forum. So, you guys are in a basement? You realize, you're selling forum memberships for considerably less than the price of shocks?!<G>

Dxaqta, are you SURE trd=kyb? And not just that KYB makes them for TRD, but which kyb shocks are which trd shocks? Here, TRD offer several different part numbers for different use as well. AGX are aimed at sport use, not street use. Not what I want.

Without a garage or lift to work with...I don't enjoy wrenching the same parts all day more than once.<G>

Original owner, 1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S in the US of A. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150 or a Ford GT44.
Find all posts by this user
01-18-2007, 05:17 AM
Then u should jsut get your stock ones rebuilt!!!!

antyhing else would be a waste then
01-18-2007, 10:39 AM
I have never in my entire life heard of anyone rotating the koni yellows around the car. I've also never heard of any of them failing. If you leave them on full soft they'll outlast the car easily.
If you decide you want sport, you just crank them up. You decide you want to compete at Nationals level in auto-x, there are tons of shock-shops that can shorten them, revalve them, make them triple adjustable etc etc.

KYB also sells grp-A (or such) shocks, my guess is these are the TRD-street items. Dunno how much they are, but they're non-adjustable gas shocks. Not many people out there using them though.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
01-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Red Wrote:Mux, if I make a mistake with shocks...it's not quite the same thing as a forum. So, you guys are in a basement? You realize, you're selling forum memberships for considerably less than the price of shocks?!<G>
Yeah we sell members from our colocation place setup in someones basement Big Grin

Soon we will sell a little more from there.. Big Grin

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
01-18-2007, 02:52 PM
I don't think that this situation is so complicated. For street use, you can use all the brands mentioned above. I personally can't find anything wrong with KYB, Tokico, TRD, Koni because they are good brands. There are several offers out there on the ebay, nothing wrong with them either.

1987 Toyota Corolla GT coupe - for holidays oversteer
2005 Toyota Corolla - for daily understeer
01-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Nohaci-
"I have never in my entire life heard of anyone rotating the koni yellows around the car."
Considering I'm in Nieu Amsterdam my Dutch should be better, but it isn't, sorry 'bout that.
I've also never heard or rotating the koni yellows AROUND THE CAR. ROFL! Thank you, my first laugh of the day.<G> I just said "rotate", not rotate around the car like tires. The Koni web site says to adjust them by compressing the shock and then rotating the body of the shock, which will engage an internal screw control. Rotating the body of the shock, not moving them around the car.
Sutter, I agree with you, it shouldn't be complicated. Over the years though, I've found many replacement shocks to be disappointing. Either they ride hard without good control (sold as "sport" shocks mainly to kids) or they go soft quickly (cheap shocks). Like mattresses, you can pretty much sleep on any of them for one or two nights, but a really good one is not easy to find. A couple of folks have mentioned that the KYB stock shocks are, after all, only something like $25 retail price, which means a net price of about $12, which leaves very little room for quality construction, even in something as simple as a hydraulic cylinder.
Somewhere in between that price and over $100 for a single Bilstein...is a point where you can expect quality construction, durability, and a good copy of the OEM ride and rebound. Since I do not have a place where I can work on the car for something that will take this long, I'll also be using a shop, and the shop labor bill will be WAY more than the cost of the shocks, which means I want to do this job once and once only, not do it now and change shocks again every six months if I don't like them, or they leak.

Original owner, 1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S in the US of A. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150 or a Ford GT44.
01-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Red,

Don't you have some good weather and a nice parkinglot you can tinker away at? Rear shocks are easy to replace, the front are bothersome especially if you don't have spring compressors and a good big wrench to get that top nut off. But other then that the swap is soooo easy, it just takes time...

I wouldn't waiste my money on a shop unless I really have to for a job like this....

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
01-18-2007, 06:22 PM
I think NoHachi meant that not many people adjust the shocks after their ON the car already. If you do need to adjust, you would need to take the front strut apart, the rear is easy to do though. The ae92 koni yellows have an adjusting knob, just as well, on the fly adjustability is something you'd sooner use on a shortstroke/coilover setup anyway.
The koni's are pretty sturdy, I have used yellows on my car, they still work fine.
Before that I had nearly new tokico blues, but those didnt really do much to improve the ride.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-19-2007, 03:58 AM
Ivan, thanks. I saw Koni describing two sets of yellows, some with a knob, others not, as I read it the ones for the AE88 do not have a knob and require rotating part of the shock body after it is compressed.

Mux, it is winter in Nieu Amsterdam and parking lots are private property. Tie one up for five or six hours with a car on jacks and you will be arrested and the car towed away. Not a good idea. And, since the front struts involve opening the brake lines...if there is any problem it will become a big problem. While you're being arrested and the car is being towed away. The rears would be no problem for me, the fronts will take me some time and bear in mind, on the AE88 this also means opening the front brake lines and purging the brakes again afterwards, unless you tear the brake line supports. (I try not to tear things apart on my car.<G&gtWink

A good DIY job for a 20-year old with a driveway, but I'm an original owner, not as nimble with or without the driveway.<G>

01-19-2007, 04:36 PM
you dont have to mess with brake lines. just cut those brake line brackets wich are oon the struts, bend abit, and you can get the shocks off without messing with brakelines. after youre done, just put it back again and bend the litlle piece of metal in place.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best thing I have done to my car yet! phill 92 7 7,035 07-16-2012 02:19 PM
Last Post: gt4st205
  How much did you paid for you TOYOTA AE86??? kennedy8383 11 11,090 09-07-2011 09:16 PM
Last Post: fax0815
  say what ! ... a must have to your collection! ae86driftmaster 7 7,695 09-21-2010 06:49 PM
Last Post: ae86driftmaster
  DO you KNOW this BRAND? sergiocharged 3 3,715 11-08-2009 06:55 AM
Last Post: sergiocharged
  street legeal tenshi240 4 4,646 06-23-2008 10:43 PM
Last Post: Bubble_Drift