WHich engine would be best?
04-07-2005, 07:07 PM
I have a 4agze in my car, so i think i can give you some tips.

1st no matter which engine you choose you 'll see just about 140 ps max at wheels.

2nd its a bit harder to put the 20v on the car, while the SC just bolts on and needs a front mount intercooler

3rd The 20V is pretty revy while the SC has too much torque.

4th You just need a little cash to tune the SC and get it up to 170 ps

5th if you go SC you should change your clutch, fuel pump and to intercooler mod i mentioned before.

6th there are 3 versions of the 4agze, one from mr2 aw with 145 ps (dont even think about it), one with 160 from ae92 with air flow control and the GOOD one 170 Ps from ae101 with map sensor. This has also semi-forged piston and stuff, and I think its the only one worthing to purchase if you're planning to tune.

danielvanderwoude Wrote:looks like the nmwisima joke saved you in the end
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - WHich engine would be best?] http://www.jdmbits.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Sorry about the douple post, guys.
You can find more here

nmwisima Wrote:4agZe is COOL. Too much torque from 1.500 rpm, helps you drift, but it's also fast. I 'm not sure mine is a typical sample, cause of the biger pulley and boost pressure. Latest gZe version that I use -with a map sensor- is supposed to produce 170 ps @ 0,55 bar. Mine is running 0,82-0,86 bar and honestly it does't feels like 170 ps with 970 kgs. Although I haven't yet test it on a dyno. Also after 5.000 torque isn't as much as I want, but motor still reving untill 7.000+ with just enough power.

Here's one pic from my engine bay, but it's a bit old. It's right after i made the alouminium intercooler pipes. i 've allready bought a Supra MkII intercooler which is much biger than the oem GZE. i've also installed a custom intercooler water spray system. But most important i have installed a Malpassi fuel pressure regulator and an Impreza STi fuel pump. You see, with the oem 4age pump the engine run lean after 4.000 rpm, but now with the new pump and fuel pressure at 2,6 bars its OK. More to come soon...

And that how its gonna look like:
http://www.aeu86.org/download.php?id=794

P.S her in Greece you can find a complete map sensored gZe (with 60.000 km and a service) with gearbox, ECU for about 1.200 euro

PS. MOST important of all if you go gZe are the ecu connection. Its not as easy as it looks. And it turns to be a bigger problem that only the one who fix all the electrics knows where is what...

04-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Well, the ECU isnt that big a problem. You can modify the stock AE86 ECU to control the gze. Theres a guy here in denmark who is "The Doc" in turbocharging Toyota engines. For a meer cost of approx. 200E he´ll change the ECU to match both the gze AND the original wiring harness. Thats the easiest way of going SC Thumbs up!

Youtube Myspace and I´ll Google your Yahoo
Find all posts by this user
04-07-2005, 10:20 PM
he can do that with turbo mods as well Huh ???

AE86 FANATIC!!!
04-07-2005, 10:39 PM
I see no problem in installing a Turbo on a GZE... So the answer would be yes.

The things that needs modifications when installing a GZE in a 86:

The alternatorbrackets - you have to install the alternator on the other side of the engine. You have to make them yourself.

One of the SC mounts needs modifications - a corner has to be cut.

Plugs on GZE injectors and throttle sensor has to be changed - solder the plugs from the GZE engine on your original loom

Pipes to intercooler - unless you want a bonnitscoop you have to make it frontmounted.

Plumbing for engine coolent and the thermostat housing - you have to make the most of it yourself and find parts that fits from other engines.

Clutch - you can use the original clutch, but use the 200 mm flywhell from the GE and bolt it on the GZE. Or simply use a bigger clutch.

ECU - You need to modify the ECU so it can handle the GZE injectors. (Not many people can do that.)

Theres also the possibillity of using the wiring loom from the car you got the engine from. But because it a FWD, you need to extend the loom. But if you decide to do that, you can use the original GZE ECU.

04-07-2005, 11:35 PM
As a matter of fact i was thinking of turboing a 4A-GE... Dumb question
that was my question about the ECU for... Confused

AE86 FANATIC!!!
04-08-2005, 09:59 AM
Knudsen Wrote:Plumbing for engine coolent and the thermostat housing - you have to make the most of it yourself and find parts that fits from other engines.

Hey Knud, you know any specific solution and parts for the thermostat thing?
Right now i'm using the car without a thermostat. Too much petrol lost on winter...

04-08-2005, 02:05 PM
this is the service jb offer
All engines come as complete units with all ancillaries needed to run, including:
Wiring loom & ECU, starter, alternator, coils, igniter, top mount intercooler, power steering pump and pipes, exhaust downpipe, gearbox and driveshafts.

Before we ship the engine from Malaysia, we can even modify your original engine wiring loom so that it is Plug'N'Play with the new engine. This service takes much of the hassle and confusion out of your engine conversion!

i persume this modification of the ecu is the thing u were on about Knudsen.

Apart from above i should not need much more to get her sweet?
I also intend to get hybird crank pully and fuel pump from robbing fensport unless ye have anywhere else.

But basically is there anything else?
04-08-2005, 05:18 PM
alimonos Wrote:As a matter of fact i was thinking of turboing a 4A-GE... Dumb question
that was my question about the ECU for... Confused

Yes i know, and i also answered your question :wink: He modify the original ECU for use on e SC engine. I dont think the ECU care if its a turbo or a supercharger. But if you dont want to use the GZE injectors, i dont think you need to get the ECU modified. You just need a system to give more petrol. That could be larger injectors or a Apexi S-AFC controller. I have seen quite a few here in Denmark who uses a MF-2 system to give more petrol... But im sure that someone knows alot more of that than me Smile

04-08-2005, 05:20 PM
As for the thermostat, i guess that the thermostathousing from a AE92 could be used...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best quality Diffs gh0st 1 1,049 07-03-2022 07:49 PM
Last Post: banpei
  20v BT - which oil pump? Mylesmck 4 2,004 06-21-2022 04:51 PM
Last Post: pack
  Best Induction Kit / Set up chrisae86 20 12,232 06-10-2020 10:59 AM
Last Post: Lykowsky
  Rim width. Which is best.... Dino86 5 6,205 01-07-2017 03:09 PM
Last Post: Dino86