wich coolant?
09-25-2011, 11:51 AM
wich coolant?
Hi,
anyone knows which coolant belongs in a 4AGE with a Aluminimum Koyo rad?
I used green which got rutsy over a year, recently I changed it for blue and yesterday I had to drain it again and it got worse lots of rust and black/white slimy sh** came out.

Engine was rebuild 1year ago, and looked ok inside, Koyo radiator was also new before I put in the green concentrate.

Theses are obviously wrong for my engine, I´ll give it flush, but I´m not sure what to put in next...

Help Dumb question

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86
Find all posts by this user
09-25-2011, 12:25 PM
wich coolant?
Rust can only come from the engine with an alu radiator, so a flush is indeed a good idea. It takes quite a bit of flushing to get all the rust out, probably more comes loose when the engine is ran for a while. I havent ever heard of these cars needing any specific coolant, but just switch brands if you want to test your theory.

White sludge does not sound very promising, keep an eye out for other signs of headgasket problems. Rebuilt or not, cracked heads or a leaky headgasket will allow oil to leak into your cooling system, and vice versa.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-25-2011, 12:36 PM
wich coolant?
when I replaced my rad I also changed the hoses as there was a lot of sediments in there too - the other coolant you used might have dislodge some of the sediments. I found it easiest to flush my system by taking the thermostat out and fitting the pressure washer to the hose and the other hose out the bottom...
don't forget to flush your new rad backwards too, as you don't want to jam all that sludge into the waterways inside.

as for coolant I used to use the toyota red coolant as this is was the manual reccomends. have little to no use for it now (it's never freezing here) so only have a little left in there.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-26-2011, 11:43 PM
wich coolant?
Hi,
sorry forgot to mention, no signs blown headgasket. (I´ve also taken the engine apart recently, but thats a different story...Angry)

It´s more like a crystalin transparent/ white stuff starting to block the small water galleries in the head.
I´ve also noticed it inside the radiator, wich got me thinking that alluminium might be the reason...

Well I´ll give it a good flush with some special detergent and see if the problem continues.

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86
09-27-2011, 06:44 AM
wich coolant?
Also don't forget the heater when flushing... Make sure you keep the bypass valve open so water goes through that too. It could be that all that rust came from the heater if you didn't wash it along with engine rebuild and new rad.

SFD
09-27-2011, 11:08 AM
wich coolant?
Toyota red is great. it will not absorb contaminants like the green crap.

there are other brands that do red which is just as good.

if you can get your hands on one a preasure steamer is the best thing for flushing the cooling system.
09-28-2011, 11:29 PM
wich coolant?
Toyota Red or Pink, + check for elec current in your fluid, can and does happen, maybe an extra earth is required attach the the rad.

Just because it has been rebuilt doesnt mean the water galleries are/where clean, my engine is 1yr old and still has small amounts of gunk in it.

Steve.....this is sparrrrrtan
09-30-2011, 09:56 PM
wich coolant?
fkn16v Wrote:Toyota Red or Pink, + check for elec current in your fluid, can and does happen, maybe an extra earth is required attach the the rad.

Just because it has been rebuilt doesnt mean the water galleries are/where clean, my engine is 1yr old and still has small amounts of gunk in it.

Intresting Huh
Will do!

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AE86 Engine Coolant Temp Sensor izanagi 8 19,098 09-06-2014 05:47 PM
Last Post: izanagi
  bad coolant kawo 9 10,333 11-18-2013 07:43 PM
Last Post: Apsogos